Chapala.com Webboard

Returning from a trip NOB as a Residente Permanente

suegarn

Friends of mine were away for a week. When they returned, they didn't have the top half of the immigration form that they flew out of Mexico with. They filled in the top half of a new one with the correct information, but the immigration agent in Mexico City gave them a very hard time about that. She said they MUST use the top half of the original form, and she was very nasty with them. They travel in and out of Mexico several times a year, and have never had this problem before. I think they just got an agent who was in a bad mood that day. Could someone tell me if you absolutely MUST HAVE the matching pieces of the immigration form? I've heard of people who have lost them, and filled in a whole new form. I think they make you pay a certain amount of money (kind of like a fine, I guess).

Same thing happened to us 4 months ago (had misplaced top portion of form) we filled out a new form on our flight into GDL. Handed the new form to the IMN with our RP cards, he promptly stamped the new form and threw the other half in the garbage and we were on our way..Your friend got the guy with an attitude that day..Filled out new forms when we left and they were accepted promptly for our flight out..We keep several extra forms for just such an occurrence..The  INM office in Chapala does not have any of the INM forms and will tell you that you have to go the the airport to obtain them..So best to keep a couple of extra blank ones handy..Just in case..

I have had Immigration agents at the PV airport confirm that the 2 halves don't need to match (you'd think they would, since they have the same bar code, but if they don't care, why should I?), so yes,sounds like your friends just got one of those petty potentate agents who like to cause problems.

• 4 weeks later...

I was totally up front with them about it once, which is where my information comes from that they don't care one way or the other. I hadn't lost it, but had travelled to Canada with my granddaughter, who is also a permanent resident. She flew back to Cabo, where they live, I flew back to PV. But I had no idea which of the halves I had came from my granddaughter's FMM, and which from mine. I sent her off with one, and I explained all to the agents when I got to INM at the PV airport. They said it wasn't important.

• 1 month later...

Archived