Chapala.com Webboard

Controlled substances

ramadula

This is my first post, just joined today.

My Dr. in the states prescribes medications some of which are considered controlled substances. I am considering retiring in Mexico soon and am wondering if I will have any trouble getting my meds. Has anybody been in this situation? Thank you from Bellingham, WA

It does depend very much on what it is. Not every doctor can prescribe certain pain relievers nor can every pharmacy dispense them. Some people have a very difficult time getting drugs they were taking in the States. Important for you to know where your drugs (and you) stand before moving down here.

If you can pick up KVOS (12) there will be no problem (only joking but one of my favorite channels when up north).

Well anyway I take 8 prescription pills a day, two of which  help me sleep. All 8 pills require a Rx up north, but down here only the two sleeping bills require an Rx in Mx.  The others I can get over the counter without an Rx. Chances are your meds are available down here and at a much lower cost than up north. However not every pill is. All of mine are available here.  But I get most of them up north where I go three times a year for a month at a time. Why? Because my Medicare part D pays 80% of their costs.

One of those 8 drugs though which I pay 20% of the US price for up there, is even cheaper down here. Retail is 17% of the US retail price. Most US Rx's are cheaper down here, but not all.

As I just wrote, most meds taken by us older folks are available down here in Mx as well. But there is no guarantee that your meds will be. You will have to check it out.

A lot of the meds the NOB dtrs prescribe are brand names too; here is MX you can find the generic medication eg. Crestor = rosuvastatina; You will pay a much higher price for the brand name than the generic.  This link may help - https://sites.google.com/site/expatriotrphconsultants/findtherightrxdruginmexiconow

Easier to refill your meds in the US and bring down or have others who visit bring them. Suggest you have your doctor prescribe a one time 12 month supply so that gets you over the hump and can refill the reg 90 day script and have them waiting for you when you go back to visit.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived