Chapala.com Webboard

warning

lucky one

Be alert waiting for your change at the larger stores. Occasionally a clerk will hold back a fifty or hundred peso note with the hope that you will not notice you've been short changed. It has happened to me and a couple of friends. Simply count out your change in front of the clerk and politely wait for the rest of your change. Each time the clerk has handed back the correct change trying to make it look as though it was an honest mistake. Most clerks are honest but it's your money - be watchful.

5 hours ago, SunshineyDay said:

At Walmart the prices are sometimes not changed in the computer usually resulting in a higher prices at the checkstand. 

OP is about your CHANGE.... not the price.  Walmart cashiers (by accident or design???) are among the worst in my experience!

The solution is simple. When I stopped using the ATM machine to bring my money down from up North and wired the money direct to an account I have at Actinver, I now withdraw both large and small bills and almost always have enough change to be able to give the cashier an amount very close to what I owe. That way, they don't have much of a chance to make an error.

Another solution......I use my US credit card at Walmart, Superlakes, La Paz, Guadalajara Farmacia, etc.  Great exchange rate, no international fees and airline miles.  Less trips to the ATM's. 

Best of all, no waiting on the cashier to locate change, which is often an issue at Walmart.

At smaller stores (and on small purchases at any store), I use as close to exact change as possible.  I don't expect stores to be my banker.  

I use a debit card at stores that accept them, always checking the total on the register before handing over the card.

My card is a Debit/Credit card which requires me to sign the receipt.

Sometimes they ask for ID, most of the time not.

Lately, Walmart has even quit asking me to sign.

Like Johanson, I also always carry an assortment of various denominations of currency $500, $200's, $100's, $50's, $20's etc as well as coins for propinas and beggars.

And, I always keep one 10 peso coin at all times in case I ever need to take a bus home.

Many times there are special price tags in front of an item but when you get to the checkout they charge you the regular price so we have started taking pictures on our phone of the special price and you would be surprised how many times it’s not changed in the cashier computer. 

I have been living here for almost 10 years now and have never been short-changed by any of the cashiers at Walmart.  I find that if you treat the cashiers  and baggers with respect and are friendly with them, you will not have any problems.  I think the problem related to the above comments is that you people come down here and expect to be cheated by Mexicans.  That is not the proper attitude.  Try smiling and saying hello to them when they are checking you out and I am sure you will see a difference.

7 hours ago, Arroyos said:

I think the problem related to the above comments is that you people come down here and expect to be cheated by Mexicans.  That is not the proper attitude.  Try smiling and saying hello to them when they are checking you out and I am sure you will see a difference.

Well, WONDERFUL for YOU, Arroyos,  that you have not been cheated all the time you have lived here. But to say that ''I think the problem related to the above comments is that YOU PEOPLE come down here and expect to be cheated by Mexicans'' minimizes the reality that MANY others have dealt with.

It is NOT that we ''expect'' to be cheated by Mexicans. Not at ALL. In my few years experience here, the vast majority of Mexican people do NOT cheat us,  and treat us with the same respect with which we treat them.

BUT...there are DEFINITELY exceptions to that hope...and your sanctimonious post does not change that. Cheating exists. Clearly. And it is incumbent on us all to...simply...be aware...so PLEASE...don't ''preach'' to us...WE have been here for a long time too 😉

Agree; you definitely need to count your change before you move away from the checkout if it's a cash transaction; I also stand to one side until I've read through my itemized receipt, because there can be errors, like being charged twice for something. I'm always pleasant to the staff but it doesn't necessarily help; the problem is chronic and isn't confined to Walmart, although more frequent there.  Just pay attention!

Archived