Chapala.com Webboard

How soon does a new car require smog check ?

ea93105

I bought my new car several years ago in April. According to the numbering on my license plate, I was due an emissions check each October. Well I went that year in October for my emissions check and was told I didn't need one the year I bought my car. Rather I got to wait another year for a total of about 18 month before my first one was due.

42 minutes ago, tomgates said:

For the small financial outlay, it is worth having so as not being pulled over.

That's what I thought when I took my 2017 in for 2018. They would not test it as they said the computer would not give me a sticker because it was not needed.

My car is a 2017 model, purchased used just a few months back.  Based on the above, my smog check appears to be due after the new year in 2019.  What is the code on the plate that tells me when it's due for inspection?  Also, where and when do I renew my registration/license plates for 2019 (and is it necessary to keep the expired license decals on the car windows after renewal as I notice is common locally)?  Thanks in advance.

We bought our 2018 brand new in 2017 and did the smog inspection and got the sticker, only to avoid any pull-over verification nonsense. Tried to do that this year and was told that Jalisco no longer can issue the sticker and I'm not due till 2020. Based on that, you'd be due in 2019. The year model, not the year of purchase, determines when one goes for the smog check, with a (now) grace period.

Here's the calendar: month of renewal is based on last digit of your plate.

https://verificacionvehicular.jalisco.gob.mx/calendarios

15 minutes ago, ea93105 said:

Another twist is that my car is a diesel. Where would I go to get a smog check for a diesel car ? Pretty sure the place in Chapala doesn't do diesels, but not sure

You bought a diesel in Mexico? If it is on a TIP, forget the smog check.

Model years 2017, 2018 and 2019 are exempt

Archived