Chapala.com Webboard

New Car Warranty

RickS

Someone has asked this question on another board....  "I bought a new Hyundai from a dealership and they said that the warranty was voided IF I did not bring the car back to THEM for oil changes and other service".

Can anyone verify, from direct knowledge, if this is true?  Certainly not true in other countries NOB, but then this is not NOB!

1 hour ago, RickS said:

Someone has asked this question on another board....  "I bought a new Hyundai from a dealership and they said that the warranty was voided IF I did not bring the car back to THEM for oil changes and other service".

Can anyone verify, from direct knowledge, if this is true?  Certainly not true in other countries NOB, but then this is not NOB!

Yes, you MUST take to Hyundai dealership.  With Nissan, it can be a different location than the one you bought at.  Not sure with Hyundai.  I think they do this (besides getting the business) because otherwise some people would avoid regular maintenance and then have an expensive repair while still under warranty (which the dealership would have to provide under that same warranty).  Nissan does not allow much leeway at all in the maintenance dates as they fall due.  Can't say for Hyundai but you could ask.

I have a Hyundai which is a fine car however you will VOID your warranty by taking it anywhere else! Even if the car has sat for 6mths you must adhere to their every 6mth service plan at apprx $2300mxn I was advised but liked the car & the price so buyer beware.

I have a KIA in Canada they said one a year was just fine

Does Canada not have a law similar to the US wherein a car warranty cannot be voided if not serviced by the dealer?  Not being serviced at all or anywhere close to the recommendation time/miles is one thing.... and would lead to a warranty cancellation probably.... but mandating that it come back to a manufacturer dealership is quite another thing and is against the law in the US. 

15 hours ago, Yo1 said:

I have a 2017 Honda and I took it to a dealer more conveniently located than the dealer from which I purchased it..  The oil change and inspection was about $75US.  Expensive, yes.  But better than an invalid warrantee.

Yes, assuming that the warranty is honoured if required. 

4 hours ago, Alpha1 said:

Yes, assuming that the warranty is honoured if required. 

When I stated above that "... With Nissan, it can be a different location than the one you bought at ...."  I'd better qualify that.  The same company owns 5 Nissan dealerships in Guad.  So when I changed (with 2 different cars) from one to another, I guess I was still under the same corporate umbrella so to speak.

Archived