Chapala.com Webboard

New Restaurant open?

Guest English Rose

1 hour ago, johanson said:

The workers say it will be open before Christmas, perhaps as early as late next week. It has a new name, but I can not remember it. It looks like an Italian name.

You mean they gave up the cheesy ripoff name of “Spago”? Wonder if they received a cease and desist letter from Wolfgang Puck.

21 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Spago is the name. I'm wondering how many staff Wolfgang Puck employs, scouring the Web every day for copyright infringement...

Edit: You beat me to the punch, lol.

If this is the way they're starting out, I wonder about how this is going to go.......somehow, I don't envision a menu with reasonable prices as part of the picture.:D

The money they've spent on this project, from where I stand, appears to be astronomical. It makes me think menu prices are going to be pretty fancy to begin  recouping. I am aware this is all pointless speculation, but what fun. Those of us who are interested in the restaurant business here are by now pretty familiar with the way things generally go.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

The money they've spent on this project, from where I stand, appears to be astronomical. It makes me think menu prices are going to be pretty fancy to being recouping. I am aware this is all pointless speculation, but what fun. Those of us who are interested in the restaurant business here are by now pretty familiar with the way things generally go.

We're getting some mighty high priced ones lately, so either the current population has had a financial windfall or we're getting a more prosperous batch of newbies.  One place posted a coming event menu that that's downright jaw dropping ! Good luck to them all.  This peasant will stick with the ones that fit my budget and serve good meals, too.😉

The prices that are set in my mind, are the ones that were "on the boards" when I moved here. (Friends who were here a lot longer than me have vastly differing memories.) And through the intervening years, we've watched the prices adjust. And for example, with fish market shrimp prices having doubled in the last couple of years, one can justify higher restaurant prices for the same dish.

So, the newbies are going to base their future on the prices they see now. However, that fact discounts the other, more glaring one: that prices are being jacked up substantially to take advantage of the new crowd, who think nothing of paying 95p or more for an average hamburger. Not unlike the housing market, both sales and rentals.

Apparently the local family building it has quite a good history here, and supposedly some restaurants in California, so just maybe things will work out. But when I look around, there are only a couple of restaurants I see that are packed all the time, earning enough to pay their staff and make a profit... and one is lunch only.

Archived