Chapala.com Webboard

Mexican Street Deserts

AngusMactavish

The market in the video is the Mercado Medellín, a small-ish municipal market in Colonia Roma Norte.  The market specializes in Venezuelan and Colombian meats, produce, and staples; the area surrounding the market has a good-sized population of those nationalities.  It's a really fun market to shop in, and especially right now.  Between the end of November and the 6th of January, the market sets up outdoor booths at night to offer nearly two city blocks of Christmas items, from live trees to the smallest doo-dad for decoration.  In addition, during the mercado navideño nocturno (the night Christmas market), food vendors set up individual kitchens with tables and chairs; home-style and street-style food is served starting at around 7PM each night.  Pozole!  Tamales!  Pambazos!  Atole and champurrado!  It's a great time to be in Mexico City.  A friend and I are going one night next week, come and join us.

The park with the churros is the beautiful Parque México in Colonia Condesa, walking distance from the Mercado Medellín.

Those little gorditas de nata are available at Lakeside during any fiesta.

Pastes are originally from Cornwall, England--brought to Mexico by Cornishmen who worked in the mines in the state of Hidalgo.  The pastes stayed!

Pozole Mercado Medellín 22 dic 2013.jpg

10 hours ago, jrod said:

Do they sell the Colombian panes de queso that I sooooo loved during my childhood?  (Similar to the Portuguese ones.) 

I haven't seen those at the Medellín, BUT: there are several Colombian bakeries in that area.  Come on over, I'll take you to see.

Archived