Chapala.com Webboard

Napa Cabbage

bajandy

3 hours ago, oregontochapala said:

I have seen it at Abastos. There's no place locally that stocks it that I've found.

It's often available at Superlake, where my wife usually buys for kimchi.  Abastos (the wholesale market in Guadalajara) is also a good source, but you may need specific directions to find the section that has Asian/Korean vegetables and other goods.  There's also a passable Korean restaurant there owned by a very nice family who immigrated to Mexico decades ago.

Anyone knows what happened to the Korean store that was on Av Mexico in Guadalajara, they used to have some as well as kimchi There used to be another store  I think it is Las America near the C Colon Statue.. I used to take Lopez Mateo and go right at the intersection  at the statue so I think it is Las Americas , right away on the right there is a Korean store.

On 12/5/2018 at 11:27 PM, bajandy said:

Does anyone know where I can get some?  I want to make some Kim Chee.

I buy 4 or 6 heads at a time at Abastos when I make Kimchee. They have the best looking heads of Napa at 3 different vendors.

PS don't forget to buy your Dakion there as good ones are difficult to find here at Lakeside.

At home I used to make Kimchee out of Napa Cabbage, Daikon etc and loved it. Recently I wanted to try it with easier to find ingredients. I used Red Cabbage, Beets, Radishes and Green Onion as well as our Gokugaru mix. It was absolutely to die for. Made it that way the last two times. Not sure I will go back to the previous recipe. Those ingredients would probably be easier to find here.

Simon

On 12/6/2018 at 9:19 AM, bmh said:

Anyone knows what happened to the Korean store that was on Av Mexico in Guadalajara, they used to have some as well as kimchi .

I was at that Asian market earlier this year and it was still there and I bought red kimchi. Didn't see any napa cabbage but I wasn't looking for vegs.

They have quite a few nice looking ones at Super Lake as of today at least.  I bought a huge head of napa cabbage for 78 pesos, they even had bok choy.  Try cutting off the bottom and placing it in a bowl of shallow water for a few days on your counter top near sun light (changing the water daily, but remember, too much water will cause it to rot) until you start to see some growth, then plant it into a pot with potting soil.  You can easily re-grow nappa cabbage.  I'm doing that right now.  This is the perfect season to do so.

Archived