Chapala.com Webboard

Any validity for "thunderjackets" ?

Yes. But there are an infinite variety of ways to make your own using Ace bandages, T-shirts, straps and a towel, etc. for almost no money. It is the feeling of compression, or hugging, that works. Just like Temple Grandin noted for herself and for cows.

I had the same experience as Wookie. Zorra would go into a corner of the walk in closet and shake herself sick after we moved inland again. Thunder wasn't a problem because she grew up with it on the coast. The fireworks were a whole new ball game. The thunderjacket was worth it's weight in gold. She was a big girl and it would have taken a LOT of ace bandages to do the trick.

My two current dogs were born with the noise and take it in stride... both thunder and fireworks. I consider myself blessed because it is upsetting to watch your dog's fear. 

• 2 weeks later...

My dog doesn't have a problem with the fireworks, but the thunderstorms are another story entirely. She'll actually start panting and trembling about 10 minutes before it starts (I guess they can feel it coming) or come up the outside staircase (which she hates and normally avoids, as it's metal slats) to my bedroom, then I know we're about to have a big one. It has seemed to get worse as she's aged- it never bothered her as a puppy. I haven't tried a thundershirt, but I tried a tight stretchy t-shirt of mine (she's a big dog and I'm a small woman) and it didn't seem to help, but I'm going to make an actual thundershirt, as I'm a seamstress, and see if it works. I've read it works for about 80% of dogs, doesn't help at all for the others. Would be interesting from a dog psychology point of view to know why.

They do work for many dogs. I tried a kid's t-shirt for my Corgi and he said 'Corgis don't wear clothes' - removed the shirt and hid it where I never have found it. I'd try one of the low cost alternatives first to see if it helps him.

My Corgi preferred cuddles. The first few thunderstorms of the year, we'd lie on the bed and cuddle until the storm was over. Then he was fine for the rest of rainy season. I'd just rub his back for a few minutes when the fireworks started and he'd calm down.

Has anyone seen the movie on the life of  Dr. Temple Grandin, She is autistic and an expert on animal behavior especially cattle. I believe she somehow was involved in the jackets or at least studied them. It seems that the pressure on the body calms down animals  or some animals. Her own experience with autism lead her to discover  solutions for anxiety in animals.

On 12/19/2018 at 6:53 PM, MtnMama said:

They do work for many dogs. I tried a kid's t-shirt for my Corgi and he said 'Corgis don't wear clothes' - removed the shirt and hid it where I never have found it. I'd try one of the low cost alternatives first to see if it helps him.

My Corgi preferred cuddles. The first few thunderstorms of the year, we'd lie on the bed and cuddle until the storm was over. Then he was fine for the rest of rainy season. I'd just rub his back for a few minutes when the fireworks started and he'd calm down.

The body pressure would feel like being in the womb again, it seems to me. A safe place to be.

I also got the impression when I put the tight tee shirt on my 75 pound Jindo that she thought clothes were a ridiculous concept for dogs altho she didn't try to get it off, it just didn't help.

I sure wish cuddles did it for her. She tries to get in bed with me when it's storming out, something she's never had interest in, and which I've never encouraged as I don't abide with dogs on the furniture. But I'd be happy to cuddle with her in bed when she's that anxious. Only she won't lay still- she keeps pacing around on the bed, if I can get her to lie down, it's only for a minute, then she starts moving around again. Needless to say, this is not a pleasant situation with a 75 pound dog and sort of pointless, since being in bed with me doesn't seem to calm her down at all, so not sure why she wants to get up there. She even keeps pawing at me, like she thinks I can do something to make the thunder and lightening stop.

You have my sympathy, Mudgirl. My previous dog was exactly like yours. Nothing comforted her. Nothing. It was painful for both of us. When she died of old age I adopted a former street dog who was and remains oblivious to storms and cohetes. Fireworks make her uneasy but she can be comforted. 

12 minutes ago, MtnMama said:

Mud girl - Have you tried Rescue Remedy? I haven't tried it for thunderstorms, but it works well for other kinds of stress such as car rides. Maybe worth trying.

Yes, I have and do give it to her and it seems to help somewhat. At least she'll lie down on her mat next to my bed for brief periods. But she keeps panting and trembling and doesn't really fall asleep. I feel so sorry for her- it's so primal- I know it's just a storm that's going to pass, but I get the impression that for a dog, they think it's the end of the world.

Re the Rescue Remedy- I just put a few drops under her tongue, but I read you're supposed to put it in their water to dilute it, because of the alcohol content. How do you administer it? Because she won't drink water at all when she's that anxious and despite all the panting. I figured a few drops of alcohol wouldn't really be an issue for a 75 pound dog as far as damaging their liver or anything. 

7 hours ago, Xena said:

You have my sympathy, Mudgirl. My previous dog was exactly like yours. Nothing comforted her. Nothing. It was painful for both of us. When she died of old age I adopted a former street dog who was and remains oblivious to storms and cohetes. Fireworks make her uneasy but she can be comforted. 

Thank you, Xena. It's comforting to know my dog isn't a total aberration in the intensity of her distress.

On 12/21/2018 at 4:55 PM, mudgirl said:

Re the Rescue Remedy- I just put a few drops under her tongue, but I read you're supposed to put it in their water to dilute it, because of the alcohol content. How do you administer it? Because she won't drink water at all when she's that anxious and despite all the panting. I figured a few drops of alcohol wouldn't really be an issue for a 75 pound dog as far as damaging their liver or anything. 

I get the Rescue Remedy for pets and put a few drops on the tongue. Under might be better but this is a cat we're talking about. I don't worry about a bit of alcohol. It's not like I am giving the whole bottle.

On 12/23/2018 at 12:43 AM, MtnMama said:

I get the Rescue Remedy for pets and put a few drops on the tongue. Under might be better but this is a cat we're talking about. I don't worry about a bit of alcohol. It's not like I am giving the whole bottle.

Thanks, Mtn Mama. I'll keep giving it to her as a have been, then. I didn't get the one specifically for pets. I wonder what the difference is.

Archived