Chapala.com Webboard

Requirments for TIP on tourist card for

Taaffe

23 minutes ago, Taaffe said:

when car is not paidon tourist card when car is not paid for.  Title, letter from bank, insurance????

I have crossed many times in the past with only a Texas registration. I have no reason to think it has changed. While I always was insured against loss I didn't care what the lender wants.

18 hours ago, Taaffe said:

when car is not paidon tourist card when car is not paid for.  Title, letter from bank, insurance????

I’m not sure what language the OP is writing in and thus hard for me to decipher, but.....

If a vehicle is not paid for, generally the title is still in the hands of the lien holder. A TIP requires either a Title or a Registration slip, but the lien holder.... since they actually own the car, not you.... often won’t even let the driver take their vehicle into Mexico due to (perceived?) extra risk “if they are asked”.  Now if one takes the attitude that they are driving it into Mexico, even insured, without the lien holder’s knowledge then, well.....  If nothing happens to the vehicle while in Mexico then I guess it is no harm no foul but if there is, say, a wreck w/total loss there could be some interesting conversations with the lien holder I suspect. It is my understanding of Mexican insurance that, even with total loss coverage, the insured is NOT paid the total value of the vehicle... there is a significant under-payment vis a vie the US value which is what the lien holder is going to expect to be reimbursed.   YMMV

Automobile loans require that the insurance be written with the lien-holder as the beneficiary. Since that is not likely to happen with Mexican insurance, and since the US insurance is not valid in Mexico, I agree that those "conversations" could become very interesting. They could include words like, "Fraud, Theft, Breach of Contract, Warrant, Due Immediately", and other such interesting language.

I suggest getting permission, in writing. Better yeat: If you plan to live in Mexico, pay off your car before moving.

Archived