Chapala.com Webboard

New goverment and residency

Drew

Only the official government figures should be looked at. You are assuming that the 500 times will remain the same but that is an assumption. Once you have the official figures let´s us know .. it is a waste of time to try to figure out what the minimum will be.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Jack Wilkinson said:

In response to the original post:

The MX economy benefits from, and relies upon, steadily growing retirement immigration from the U.S.  Mexico is the largest retirement destination for the rapidly growing number of U.S. retirees.  The baby boomer flood is on its way!  And Mexico is not going to let it dry up.

Would you provide some ‘source’ of this data?  Both the ‘benefits from’ and the ‘relies upon’, but surely I question the latter more than the former. I’ve not heard that retired US citizens contribute significantly to Mexican GDP, but a source of that data might enlighten me, but at this point I’m probably not going to rely on an obscure Post on an obscure Forum for that kind of information. Maybe the ‘fake news’ syndrome has got me wary of all information!

5 minutes ago, RickS said:

Would you provide some ‘source’ of this data?  Both the ‘benefits from’ and the ‘relies upon’, but surely I question the latter more than the former. I’ve not heard that retired US citizens contribute significantly to Mexican GDP, but a source of that data might enlighten me, but at this point I’m probably not going to rely on an obscure Post on an obscure Forum for that kind of information. Maybe the ‘fake news’ syndrome has got me wary of all information!

That sounds like something written to beat a deadline.

In response to Jack's comment about Mexico's possible reliance on expats, lets just take a quick glance at some "out of my a___" numbers.  Mexico says there are about one million expats in Mexico.  Possibly more in the winter and possibly fewer in the summer.  Just from talking to some friends living and wintering here, we all spend about 2,000 USD/month.  Some a lot more if they rent and some less if they own.  These same folks do buy real property, cars, insurance, medical care, food, entertainment, pay taxes, etc. which pay wages to the providers and that money gets spent and re-spent many times here as well. So lets say one million folks spend two grand every month.  That is about 25 billion dollars a year.  And where there are happy expats, there are tourists who spend their money as well. In expat communities the unemployment numbers are much lower than the national average. So does Mexico rely on us?  Who really knows?  But I'm guessing Mexico is quite happy to have that money spent here and the US and Canada are not quite as happy.  I'm guessing that unhappiness might trickle down a little to banking, tariff, and immigration issues NOB as well as here.  Alan 

5 hours ago, barrbower said:

In response to Jack's comment about Mexico's possible reliance on expats, lets just take a quick glance at some "out of my a___" numbers.  Mexico says there are about one million expats in Mexico.  Possibly more in the winter and possibly fewer in the summer.  Just from talking to some friends living and wintering here, we all spend about 2,000 USD/month.  Some a lot more if they rent and some less if they own.  These same folks do buy real property, cars, insurance, medical care, food, entertainment, pay taxes, etc. which pay wages to the providers and that money gets spent and re-spent many times here as well. So lets say one million folks spend two grand every month.  That is about 25 billion dollars a year.  And where there are happy expats, there are tourists who spend their money as well. In expat communities the unemployment numbers are much lower than the national average. So does Mexico rely on us?  Who really knows?  But I'm guessing Mexico is quite happy to have that money spent here and the US and Canada are not quite as happy.  I'm guessing that unhappiness might trickle down a little to banking, tariff, and immigration issues NOB as well as here.  Alan 

Sometimes these wild arse assumptions can be very close to the real "numbers"...I think we can truthfully say "we" are making a positive contribution to the economy.

• 2 weeks later...

My stateside interview for residency was yesterday. I was told the amounts for permanent residency were $2,361.00 monthly / $94,454.00 liquid. For temporary residency it was $1,416.00 monthly / $23,614.00 liquid.  Although I easily exceeded the threshold for permanent, they would only approve me for temporary. They didn't quite seem to understand (or care) that I was retired, had been self-employed, and wouldn't be receiving a pension or social security for a number of years. They wanted to see a pension/SS and a letter from my employer (i.e., me) saying I was on longer employed. Weird, but no biggie. I'll go temporary, which will let me bring in a US vehicle, and my wife, who will have a pension, will go permanent.

Archived