Chapala.com Webboard

New goverment and residency

Drew

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no "excessive generosity". What is the alternative... everyone who comes in should be treated as inferiors? If you let them in at all, they have to be given the opportunity and incentive to be equals in their new country. Or you risk destroying your own economy be forcing people into low-life, slummy living conditions, which drains all kinds of tax dollars that could be put to better use. Speaking only for Canada, and the details have been presented on this site more than once, there is a serious, detailed and rigorous set of routines for allowing immigrants, both legal and others (eg. refugees). We don't just open the gates and say "come on in. Here's housing and money". No, sir.

You might want to read up on what immigrant gangs are doing to crime rates in some parts of Canada, CG.  :)

Sorry but I see no reason why money should be taken from citizens or even worse, borrowed, by the largely unaffected ruling elite to subsidize and encourage border jumpers in any country.   

Yes, some cultures are inferior in terms of their ability to provide for themselves and maintain social order.  Importing those cultures in large numbers just imports the problems and overwhelms the host cultures .  There is plenty of evidence of this, such as the growth of immigrant crimes, the importation of exotic diseases heretofore basically unknown in first world countries, the creation of huge ghettos in cities and so on. 

Although that reality doesn't fit well with the "feel good" emotion driven ideology In order to understand and appreciate these side effects of massive immigration one must be willing to put aside one's ideological fantasies and simply look at what is happening everywhere it is happening.  

It is happening all over the western world.  Following the same news I would say Europe is quite well along in figuring this out.  Canada not so much but the awareness and reaction is growing.  Everywhere, the common citizens are getting quite fed up with what the globalist ruling elites are doing to their countries.

Mexico seems to have a lot more common sense about this, at least when it comes to the home country, than a lot of other places.  And I see AMLO has announced he will close all border crossing but the bridge that spans that river crossing.  You may want to believe he is doing this just because of the U.S. but that ignores both his personality and the great unhappiness so many Mexicans have with these caravans.  I personally think his primary motivation is to put Mexico and its well being first. 

As has been pointed out here on several occasions, mathematically there is simply no way the first world can survive massive immigration from the third world and the numbers are so large that immigration will not solve the problems of the latter either.  This is very well and rigorously shown by this simple demonstration.  Again, in order to grasp even this simple reality requires one to shed their emotion hat and put on their pragmatist hat.

36 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

The above presenter:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NumbersUSA

NumbersUSA is an anti-immigration organization that seeks to reduce both legal and illegal immigration to the United States.

So refute it.  Ad hom is not a refutation.  Let's see your numbers.

Good luck.

The gumball guy says that we can't help the world with our immigration policies. Immigration is to help the US, not the world. The quotas were set by a long-ago set of legislatures far superior in wisdom than the present.

40 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

Oh, I thought we were discussing facts. I guess I missed that part.

Is it a fact there are quotas for illegal immigration?  I can't figure out what you are arguing now. 

I'll assume you do understand the difference between legal and illegal but I don't think you grasped the reality of the jellybean demonstration very well.  You did watch it completely, yes? 

And you do understand the U.S. takes more immigrants than all the rest of the world combined so it most assuredly is applicable to that country and indeed the entire west singly and jointly?    :)

I'll leave you with these thoughts:  First, I believe the job of the leadership of a country is to take care of that country's citizens first and to seek to optimize their social and living conditions.  Personally speaking I do not vote for people to be president or prime minister of the world.  I think this situation is highlighting the problem all of us have with the ruling elite.  They are too detached from the "man/woman in the street" and push the globalist agenda to the detriment of their own people.

Second, there is a truism which really applies here IMO:  Namely, too much of a good thing isn't a good thing at all.  I can't think of better examples of this than France, England, Germany and Sweden and yes, increasingly the U.S. and Canada.  There is a difference between assimilation and being overrun.

I believe you are fundamentally incorrect in assuming the current levels and type of immigration occurring in all of the west is beneficial.  To believe this I think requires one to wear blinders as to what is actually happening right now.   I also believe your apparent viewpoint that any level or type of immigration is desirable is not shared by most of the developed world now.  I am very happy Mexico seems to be in the forefront of grasping this reality.  

Just now, Mainecoons said:

Is it a fact there are quotas for illegal immigration?

No, and neither is there one for asylum seekers. When a country breaks both domestic and international asylum accords by denying entrance at ports of entry, the seekers are then called illegal when they enter between ports, flagging down a border patrol agent to ask for an asylum application. Your question smells like a red herring.

What is an asylum seeker?  Someone who wants a better job?  Why is it America's responsibility to take economic refugees?  When will Canada and the rest send planes to take their "fair share?"  Or are those foreigners who constantly castigate the most generous country on earth when it comes to both immigration and aid a bunch of hypocrites?

Do you think there are no other countries that require asylum seekers to apply from outside?

4 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

What is an asylum seeker?

Asylum seeker
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Asylum seekers in 2015
Total population
3.219 million
Regions with significant populations
Europe    1.299 million
Africa    1.293 million
Americas    350,697
Middle East and North Africa    142,371
Asia and the Pacific    134,613

An asylum seeker (also rarely called an asylee) is a person who flees his or her home country, enters another country and applies for asylum, i.e. the right to international protection, in this other country. An asylum seeker may be a refugee, a displaced person, but not a migrant, such as an economic migrant. Migrants are not asylum seekers.

21 minutes ago, Mainecoons said:

And you do understand the U.S. takes more immigrants than all the rest of the world combined...

No, as the US does not. See above.

" Do you honestly believe the U.S. needs a lot of unskilled, uneducated labor? "

My answer to that is, "Yes, do we ever!".  I know that the prevailing 'conservative' answer to this is two-fold:  1) they are taking jobs away from US citizens, and 2) if there were not all these foreign workers willing to work for lower salaries, these jobs would have to be paid a much higher salary and the US worker could/would then provide that supply.

IMO, there is no empirical evidence that either are true no matter how many times it is thrown out as a fact. And 'unskilled and uneducated' is not exactly what the foreign workforce is all about but those terms are good talking points thrown out to, if nothing else, denigrate the foreign workers and make them appear to all be the scum of the earth..... which by the way they are not!

Just to be clear, I am totally and wholly against illegal entry into the US. Totally. But asylum seekers are not illegal. Maybe assuming that 'they' could show up at a border 'in mass' is misguided on their part, and maybe assuming that the US 'has to' accommodate them 'in mass' in a matter of days or weeks is folly but.....

6 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

The above presenter:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NumbersUSA

NumbersUSA is an anti-immigration organization that seeks to reduce both legal and illegal immigration to the United States.

And proven incorrect and actually incoherent about the topic many, many times over.

You might want to read up on what immigrant gangs are doing to crime rates in some parts of Canada, CG.

You can't take a few bad apples and call the whole barrel bad. I can't even begin to treat that as a statement worth reviewing. Guess how many gangs of white and black American citizens there are, terrorizing residents. Come on, seriously. This argument is not worth having on so many levels.

From an expat (USA) my comment/question is: How will it affect me?

I go to Walmart and see a "sale" where the price of whatever is reduced by $20.00 (pesos). I calculate that to the current exchange rate, and it's just slightly over US$1.00. Same for fruit; a $10.00 pesto drop is about US$0.50.

I see two places where it could hit expats directly. Your gardener/maid/plumber/etc. will be looking for a big jump from the current (appx) $60-$70 pesos per hour.

But as said above; time will tell.

I'm looking to grab pesos now when it's over $20.00 to the US$

Here are the minimum wage increases.  Doubled in North, up 16% elsewhere.  Wonder if that means the income/asset tests for RP and RT are also up 16%???

Minimum wage up 16%, to double in north

The daily minimum wage will increase by 16% on January 1 to 102.68 pesos (US $5.10), the federal labor secretary announced. Luisa María Alcalde also announced an even bigger hike in the northern border area, where the minimum wage will double from its current level to 176.72 pesos (US $8.80) per day.

Canada has a sort of hidden immigration quota. If they are trying to decrease legal, skillled immigrants from a certain area, they just cut the staff way back at those consulates and embassies. I areas they are targetting, like silicon valley, they are upping staff and even advertising.

But, at the same time, a contestant on "Price is Right" won a free vacation to Winnipeg Manitoba - he turned it down!

Just to stir the pot... Legal Immigration to the U.S. is very limited. They didn't accept anyone from Canada or the United Kingdom for a very long time. Never did understand that and I don't know if the ban is still in effect.

Even trying to get a Visa to the U.S. for a Mexican citizen who wants to take a vacation is like pulling teeth. It's a money maker because those who apply for a visa don't get their money back if they're turned down. I could understand keeping an administration fee but ALL the application money? That's just plain piggy.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I don't know where you get your information about consulates, but your conclusion makes no sense to me.

From over ten years as a business immigration consultant working with some the top lawyers, top of public relations firms (he represented Molson breweries and BC Lions), top economic development consultants. Half the battle was moving cases to less popular Consulates, for example Atlanta. The other was moving proposals to Province's more likely to approve. I did a lot of airtravel. 

Archived