Chapala.com Webboard

Referral: wood doors and does interior drywall?

kimanjome

I suggest that you avoid using wood, and use metal studs instead. Better yet, employ a local contractor to make your changes. 

Wood will usually come with 'vermin' which you will regret introducing to your home. Note that wooden houses are not built in your area.

Gosh the termites are everywhere. The only place I use wood is in the fireplace, and that wood which comes from local tree trimming is often infected with termites by the time it has dried out and brought into the house.. Please be very careful and use wood as little as possible.

We have built several interior curtain walls from wood and drywall. We also haven't had termites at our closet doors or furniture in the village..  A house we are rermodeling which is near vacant land has had termites.  So maybe its more location.

Had/have all wooden interior doors and 2 exterior wooden doors at each of our Ajijic houses.   Wooden kitchen cabinets as well.  Never a sign of termites.

I'd be more concerned about drywall than the wooden doors.   I wouldn't use drywall near a skylight/ceiling/wall that might spring a leak......which could be any skylight/ceiling/wall in the rainy season 🌧️ 🌩️ 

Home Depot has tons of puertas maderas at their website.  

The problem is not usually termites, but beetle larvae already living in the lumber that you buy for wood construction, or in locally made wooden furniture, which is usually pine.  Those beetles, called, "Powder post beetles, in the southern USA, are ravenous. In a few years, you may notice the 'powder' below door jambs (seldom the doors themselves, if from HD, etc.), and at the bottoms of furniture legs, etc. They are very hard to kill. Spraying and fumigation seldom work.

darn it, every time it gets cold and I bring firewood into the house, I have termites. I killed two this morning. Luckily except for more firewood and things like pencils there is no wood in my house (I HOPE smile).

Archived