Chapala.com Webboard

Who can legally ask to see immigration documents

Mostlylost

Recent story in the GDL Reporter said Transito could request to see immigration documents during a traffic stop.

I was under the impression they did not have the legal right to require you to show them. Does anyone know for a fact who can legally ask to see your your tourist card,' Residente temporal or Permanente card?  

Un dia the police in Vera Cruz State asked me for my immigration documents, we had a Mexican lawyer in the car who told us they did not have the rights to ask for that and I told her no but they have guns. so I showed it to them but did not let them have it and we were on our way.. 

It can be complicated.

Right off the bat only the Federal Police, SAT police or personnel and Immigration can request your immigration document.

SAT has told me that transitos cannot ask but then again, they (transitos) are not attorneys.  Although it would seem reasonable for them to check ONLY for foreign plated cars where the TIP has expired to verify the person can legally drive on the roads as that would fit the spirit of the law.  

Just now, Mainecoons said:

I sure don't miss my Texas plates.  Life is simpler and cheaper with Jalisco plates.  :D

Yes it is. But you sure kicked and screamed about getting rid of your foreign plated vehicle when becoming Permanente. ;)

10 hours ago, Ferret said:

Yes it is. But you sure kicked and screamed about getting rid of your foreign plated vehicle when becoming Permanente. ;)

I didn't mind switching plates, it was the switching cars part.  As I've said on a number of occasions, if I had it to do all over again I would have switched cars right at the beginning when it was easier and less expensive.  Live and learn.

You've never seen me kick and scream anyway so don't exaggerate.  :D

On 12/1/2018 at 3:12 PM, Intercasa said:

It can be complicated.

Right off the bat only the Federal Police, SAT police or personnel and Immigration can request your immigration document.

SAT has told me that transitos cannot ask but then again, they (transitos) are not attorneys.  Although it would seem reasonable for them to check ONLY for foreign plated cars where the TIP has expired to verify the person can legally drive on the roads as that would fit the spirit of the law.  

Do you have to carry your original visa and passport at all time?  My attorney told me that a notarized copy of my permanente visa would be OK around here.  When I go to Guad, for example, I carry my originals.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry but a notarized copy is worthless.  Doesn't prove you still have one., just that you had one on the date of notarization.

Think of a notarized copy of a drivers license or a passport ..  useless. 

Spencer answered the question... Feds only. 

So if anyone else asks just say you don't have it with you. You don't need to argue. Just show them your Drivers license, registration, and Insurance if they ask for it (they never do)

So the next question is..... Who can legally ask to see your car TIP?   I'm guessing it is only Aduana or Feds

Archived