Chapala.com Webboard

Seguro Popular Registration

ibarra

Are the following questions asked: 

Fees for your policy and care depends on how you answer questions such as: do you own or rent, do you have cement, dirt or tile floor in your house; do you have a refrigerator and stove; how many TV’s and bathrooms; number of bedrooms; do you work; do you own a car; what is your level of education; your age; number of people in a family; are you a Mexican national vs a Temporary or Permanent Resident, etc? Your answers will also determine what you may be required to pay for example towards surgery.   (Copied from Sonia's website) 

Are there fees for a policy?   If yes, are they posted somewhere?

Registration in Jocotepec....and I have brought many people in....None of those questions were asked. Your required paperwork will show your age and your nationality as well as your address. You must be a permanent resident. They try NOT to answer you in english although they could. None of my applicants have ever been asked to pay but the contract is sometimes issued for one year rather than three if you live outside this municipality.

Fred Habacht

Thank you Barbara and Angus.

Now, how do you find out what you will owe if you need surgery?  Do they tell you in advance, assuming it isn't emergency surgery? 

If you need to see a doctor for a minor illness and live in Chapala, do we go to the clinic in Chapala?

Sorry for all of the questions.  We are thinking of cancelling IMSS as we have not used it in 18 years, saving the money and and applying for Seguro Popular.

There is so much possibility for significant changes to those programs with the new national administration coming on board.  I wouldn't jump from or to anything new at this point.

22 hours ago, ibarra said:

Thank you Barbara and Angus.

Now, how do you find out what you will owe if you need surgery?  Do they tell you in advance, assuming it isn't emergency surgery? 

If you need to see a doctor for a minor illness and live in Chapala, do we go to the clinic in Chapala?

Sorry for all of the questions.  We are thinking of cancelling IMSS as we have not used it in 18 years, saving the money and and applying for Seguro Popular.

I cancelled my IMSS as I had it for 8 years and never used it and joined Seguro Popular. Applying for SP varies a lot from place to place-it is all a bit vague depending on who you talk to. That makes you wonder. Who knows how good either are-there are horror stories for both and both may change drastically soon. Best if you can prepare to self fund any health problems.

12 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I sure would not let forum uncertainty stop me from enrolling in the program. Twenty minutes is all it takes and the cost can't be beat.

AMLO was quoted by someone on here as saying that the program would be focusing on rural and poor people access above all others first. Can't find it, but it was to go into effect as of December 1st.  That's all I know, but I'm duly worried about it.  Can't qualify for anything else.

Because my Spanish and my hearing are both poor, I hired Luzma Grande, the faciltator, to go with me to the Chapala SP office to apply. I got a three year policy with no problems. She took care of drivers license renewal last month as well. Great service.

I'm scratching my head wondering what the connection with Romans and volcanoes to Seguro Popular might be, and where the idea that it would be free to all applicants came from. 

For the poster who's thinking of cancelling his IMSS policy of 18 years' duration, I offer this:  If you let it go, find that SP doesn't serve your needs and re-apply to IMSS, they will exempt any pre-existing condition that you may have developed in the last 18 years.  This happened to me. (Ouch)  I'd hang on to that policy until you find out what changes are coming.

BTW, be aware that you can't carry both policies: against the rules.

1 hour ago, gringal said:

I'm scratching my head wondering what the connection with Romans and volcanoes to Seguro Popular might be, and where the idea that it would be free to all applicants came from. 

For the poster who's thinking of cancelling his IMSS policy of 18 years' duration, I offer this:  If you let it go, find that SP doesn't serve your needs and re-apply to IMSS, they will exempt any pre-existing condition that you may have developed in the last 18 years.  This happened to me. (Ouch)  I'd hang on to that policy until you find out what changes are coming.

Gringal, your advice makes the most sense.  We both have conditions that would not allow us to re-apply to IMSS.   We will wait to see what, if any changes occur with SP, then make a decision.  Thanks!

8 hours ago, gringal said:

Gringal since when did breaking the the rules in Mexico have  consequences?  I have heard from a couple of people wno have both🤔🤔

3 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Gringal since when did breaking the the rules in Mexico have  consequences?  I have heard from a couple of people wno have both🤔🤔

Naturally, it depends on whether you're caught at it.  I just stated the rules.😉 

Some people have more integrity than others.  It is a choice.

There are 59 million people enrolled in Seguro Popular, 56 mill I.M.S.S. The only change is that AMLO wants to add another 20 mill to Seguro Popular, mostly in Southern Mexico. He feels that these people have "been left behind". This will probably involve community clinics with a doctor and nurse travellling to these areas. This is what they do in Jalisco, I met a doctor who was part time emergency doctor, and also travelled in the mountain villages above Puerto Vallarta. It has been my experience that Seguro Popular and I.M.S.S. has been able to attract some extremely talented and hard working medical people who are doing this for much more than just a paycheque.

The Social Workers in the Public General, I.M.S.S. and Seguro Popular hospitals might ask questions about your living arrangements. They genuinely mean well. If a procedure is not covered by the insurance umbrella, they work their contacts, call in favors, for private doctors to perform the procedure at a much reduced rate. Some have compared public healthcare in Mexico to that old gem M.A.S.H. as far as facilities that is not true (the new wing of 345 beds at Occidente is beautiful) but the spirit (and humor) of those M.A.S.H. doctors, and making due with ingenious solutions is much the norm in Mexico.

Amazing how you/the mx government  causuly talk about including 20 million more people into the system....So have you seen the proposed plan???

Other more developed  countries  like Canada or Britain with national  health care systems are collapsing  under the increase of a huge bubble of senior's and a fraction of other"non qualified "people seeker assitance

So maybe Mexico has some magic bullet or formula??

5 hours ago, lakeside7 said:

Amazing how you/the mx government  causuly talk about including 20 million more people into the system....So have you seen the proposed plan???

Other more developed  countries  like Canada or Britain with national  health care systems are collapsing  under the increase of a huge bubble of senior's and a fraction of other"non qualified "people seeker assitance

So maybe Mexico has some magic bullet or formula??

The fact is the 20 million choose not to join the Seguro Popular. They live in their own mountain subsistance indigenous World and don't want to be forced into being a statistic for AMLO or any other politican. They want to be left alone. Many Secretaria de Salud studies document this.

14 hours ago, AlanMexicali said:

The fact is the 20 million choose not to join the Seguro Popular. They live in their own mountain subsistance indigenous World and don't want to be forced into being a statistic for AMLO or any other politican. They want to be left alone. Many Secretaria de Salud studies document this.

Just curious:  Can you document this "fact" with a reference to one of those studies, por favor?

I work with indigenous communities and am in contact with 350 people , I can tell you that many are signed up with SS or actually IMSS, the number s on their house hand painted but when something serious happen they pool their money to go to a private doctors when they can because the service and attention is way better. AMLO last night made it clear that the indigenous have priority and then the poor so do not expect a whole lot more services and improvement f you own a house or have a pension.. He is talking about giving 1260 pesos a month to the elderly to help them.. so I doubt that any of us will qualify..

His goal is free medical for all "like in Canada" ut n Canada or Europe we pay dearly via taxes for the free medical , since we do not pay taxes here  I also doubt that we will live long enough to have nice medical for free...

Anyone listen to his 100 points last night? He reminded me of Fidel Castro.. he talked and talked and talked..let´s see what happens next. I like his "no corruption plan" but he is going to have to build a whole lot more jails..

I listened to it too. Painted a nice picture.  Mexico can always hope.  Castro comparison is apt.  Personally I am left with the general feeling that Mexico for Mexicans will find the rules for US immigrants tightened without access to nationalized health options possibly even proof of health insurance, some larger financial requirements, no vehicles on temporals, maybe a property tax differentiation or a yearly fee like coastal properties along with a rental tax requirement.  The upshot is I think some residency changes will be coming.

I do not know about the expat situation, I did not think about it..but the program is huge and ambitious based on the idea that corruption will go away so money will come in.. good luck on that one.. It may improve but I doubt that several hundreds of years , maybe thousands of  years of corruption ,will be erased in 6 years.

.I did not catch any insinuations or details on the expat population ,   I do not think it is on the radar yet but when he will need money who knows.. 

They could continue their policies of no discrimination on religion nationality etc but I would think that they would make people who have property or income pay for the services.. In France  the help people recieve is proportionate to their income and number of children they have or raised  and also how much they contributed over their lifetime.and right now they are raising taxes on the middle class , including the retired people which is not going down very well. The poor get lots of help and pay very little or nothing, the rich do not pay and the middle class is shrinking.. hence lots of trouble..

Archived