Chapala.com Webboard

Sewer system overwhelmed by rain ?

ea93105

The rain flows down the streets and into the lake.  The sewer system is black water from houses that flows in pipes to the treatment plants.  I'll bet what you were smelling was overflow of septic tanks mixing with runoff water in the street flowing to the lake.

8 hours ago, Yo1 said:

The rain flows down the streets and into the lake.  The sewer system is black water from houses that flows in pipes to the treatment plants.  I'll bet what you were smelling was overflow of septic tanks mixing with runoff water in the street flowing to the lake.

No septic tanks in San Antonio though

I have been to many cities in Mexico also and I agree about El olor de Mexico. I don't think I've ever smelled it in Canada. Will Mexicans ever figure out how to dispose of their waste water and keep it separate from their drinking water.

Sewer odors tend to be a bigger problem in warmer climates.  Also if sewers are not constructed or maintained properly such there are areas where solids accumulate you will have odors.

Mexico has many plusses but they do have a ways to go when it comes to the environment, whether it be air, water or solid waste.  Widespread corruption has been a real problem with environmental cleanup here.  Too often industries pay bribes to dump and corrupt officials ignore environmental laws.

Our new state governor has pledged to clean up the filthy Santiago River, considered to be the most polluted in Mexico and unfortunately a primary tributary to our lake.  This will be a real test.

Here in Ajijic we just hope that after three years of bungling and failure, our trash will finally be picked up reliably.  You gotta start somewhere.

There is a sewage treatment plant in lower San Antonio on Ramon Corona and it often overflows when it rains, has done for many years. I used to live on that street and when it rains the smell can be awful. Same thing with the one in San Juan Cosala only that one is not in the village but west of the village. You can still smell it driving on the carraterra.

Archived