Chapala.com Webboard

Transitioning to Lake Chapala This Coming Year from San Diego

Mitch210

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With due respect, Gringal, I did not intentionally include/hide an implication. I am quite capable of stating things directly.

What you speak of are attitudes and atmosphere. I believe that divisiveness and hostility have been with us always, and as long human nature prevails, they will be there still. There is no place in the world where those traits are not present. The levels wax and wane, but don't go away.

"all that is happening" implies activity. It speaks of actions.

I would consider increasing gang violence such an activity. Mass shootings, another. Unreasonable search and seizure, general lawlessness, out of control inflation, extremely high cost of living and general lack of safety qualify as such activities, as well.

Floods, hurricanes, earthquakes and natural disasters are awful things to endure ( I speak from experience) and can be a valid reason to leave a locale.

I am familiar with the San Diego and SoCal areas, and friends living there have reported nothing of the sort of activity that would cause them to get up and go. I have seen nothing of note in my recent visits, except for the ongoing issues of mental health/violence against others/drug abuse/homelessness.

This is a phrase I have heard used from East Coast to West Coast, North to the South. If it is the general "mood" of their locale, then people should clearly be able to state that.

If by my questioning, you infer something, that is, of course, your thinking and not my concern. However, I think that my question remains a valid one.

If you are comfortable with the political and social atmosphere prevailing in the U.S. at present and don't see the difference in public attitudes from years ago, so be it.  It's an impossible issue to settle.  All I know is that when I lived there, it was quite different than it is today on many levels and of course, that's strictly subjective.   Peace.

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

And you should know that, in business, integrity is everything.

You and I are on different ends of the stick, because I don't see it as having anything to do with integrity. They promised that prepaids would be installed first. They did not say that all others would wait. You are inferring too much.

Of course I read it. And the wording is far too nebulous for me to believe it.

However, those who care will be happy to know that Mr. Kessler just confirmed that prepaids will in fact be first, and all others will wait until the end.

Personally, I still don't believe it. They are stringing lines from Chapala to Jocotepec, and to think that they will not add drops for everyone else at the same time is, to me, a preposterous and untenable business plan. I worked in telecoms for years; one company in particular made a killing by being the first to create a card that included both a POTS line and an Internet connection. First time it had ever happened, and the telcos were ecstatic.

Most people have no idea how much it costs to roll a truck for a follow-up installation instead of doing the work while the service people are already on site. That includes all kinds of backbone and software testing, utilizing dozens if not hundreds of man and machine hours, and would cost exactly double it postponed. So I say, no matter what the promise, your non-prepaid neighbour will get it as soon as he/she signs up.

7 hours ago, Xena said:

Looks like we lost the OP and are talking to ourselves.

It`s usually what we end up doing.  So, does anyone know where to get real black licorice?  I mean the really dark-tasting kind most people make a nasty face at.  The good stuff.

4 minutes ago, bdmowers said:

It`s usually what we end up doing.  So, does anyone know where to get real black licorice?  I mean the really dark-tasting kind most people make a nasty face at.  The good stuff.

The Creameria behind the Chapala Mercado has the real thing. It is in the glass case at the counter where you pay for your purchases . Forgot the brand but it is the small roll that you eat up in three bites. SuperLake used to have it but I haven’t looked in a while.

23 minutes ago, Xena said:

The Creameria behind the Chapala Mercado has the real thing. It is in the glass case at the counter where you pay for your purchases . Forgot the brand but it is the small roll that you eat up in three bites. SuperLake used to have it but I haven’t looked in a while.

Cool! I`ll look for it.  The had the strips for a while but I think I was the only one buying them so they discontinued them.

Just wanted to leave a note that the OP of this content has not left this topic. He was getting help from a moderator to change his password and know he is locked out completely. He will be back and appreciates so much all of your comments. We just need to get it fixed so he can get back on and communicate with you all. Thank you for your patience.

59 minutes ago, Bonbelle said:

Just wanted to leave a note that the OP of this content has not left this topic. He was getting help from a moderator to change his password and know he is locked out completely. He will be back and appreciates so much all of your comments. We just need to get it fixed so he can get back on and communicate with you all. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for the update. It’s nice to know we did not drive him away.

29 minutes ago, Bonbelle said:

no you did not drive him away. he is very interested in your comments. now i thought it was funny that the topic turned to licorice. i would kill for some good black licorice

29 minutes ago, Bonbelle said:

no you did not drive him away. he is very interested in your comments. now i thought it was funny that the topic turned to licorice. i would kill for some good black licorice

Good to hear he's hanging in there.  Some of the folks who have been here awhile can give information that will save him a lot of aggravation.  When things get too silly (or too serious) on here, sometimes it's useful to go "off the rails" with talks of licorice and such.

5 hours ago, Bonbelle said:

I knew it! There is a secret community of black licorice lovers! OK now, we just need to keep our community informed of where the real thing, the blackest, darkest-tasting licorice can be acquired. The kind that makes the average mouth devolve into a shriveled prune shape.  I`ve pretty much scouted out the local haunts and was buying the long sticks at the Cremeria on Juarez that wasn`t too bad but I think I was the only buying it so they discontinued the item: the Community hadn`t found this cache yet, I suppose.  But an informant from this very topic has said there is another version there now to check out so I`ll be swooping in to sample it very soon.  Any other sightings from the Community?  Must we stoop to viewing what Amazon may have to offer? 

Seriously now, Mitch, I second or third or fourth the idea of instead of merely listening to others` views of Mexico, come for a long stay and see it for yourself then decide if it is for you. It is much more different from the US than you have imagined.  For instance, the culture almost totally precludes natives making a time for something then adhering to it, including an electrician coming at a particular time to work on your lighting.  Doesn`t happen.  He may show up 2 hours later.  Can you deal with it?  Many cannot and end up in the local sanitarium. Go to the Lake Chapala Society in Ajijic which was created for orienting expat newcomers.  Start with the information desk there and ask any question you may have then branch out to talking with the dozens of people milling about, walking through the exquisite gardens and sitting in the cafe.  From there, you can make explorations around the village and hear a great deal of English spoken. Most of these English speakers will politely listen to a question from you and answer as best they can. Unless they just arrived, like you, which will be true for hundreds of English-speakers in Ajijic, the launching place for most Americans and Canadians first arriving on these shores.

On 11/27/2018 at 4:11 PM, Mitch210 said:

I've been living and working in San Diego for the past 20 years and now its time to make a move, especially with all that is happening here in the US.  I have a friend living in Lake Chapala who has planted the seed in my mind re a move to Mexico.  I'd like to hear some feedback from ExPats who have made the move.  I've watched the YouTube videos and have been reading all that I can find.  

I work online doing Technology Sales and Business Development and see that this will be the major obstacle...being able to work online speaking with clients and the home office.  I also do web presentations, so need upload and download speeds which seem to be lacking.  All else seems incredible.

Thanks again...looking forward to your responses...Mitch

sent you a PM

Thanks for all of your feedback and I can tell that this webboard can become "volatile" at times...lol.   I appreciate your question re my statement about changing times here in the US.  I grew up in NYC and lived in several other states, both warm and cold along with living out of the country as a Sub Contractor for the US Military in the Bahamas.  I lived and worked on boats, Forbes "Highlander", being the most memorable.   I now love working in the technology space (been in Sales and Business Development for over 15 years)  but need a change of pace in regards to environment.  I'm in search of a nicer way of life in regards to a more relaxed, slower pace when I have free time.  My options here in the US would be to move away from cities, a bit off grid, so I could enjoy a different pace but still have access to resources.  

27 minutes ago, Mitch210 said:

Thanks for all of your feedback and I can tell that this webboard can become "volatile" at times...lol.   I appreciate your question re my statement about changing times here in the US.  I grew up in NYC and lived in several other states, both warm and cold along with living out of the country as a Sub Contractor for the US Military in the Bahamas.  I lived and worked on boats, Forbes "Highlander", being the most memorable.   I now love working in the technology space (been in Sales and Business Development for over 15 years)  but need a change of pace in regards to environment.  I'm in search of a nicer way of life in regards to a more relaxed, slower pace when I have free time.  My options here in the US would be to move away from cities, a bit off grid, so I could enjoy a different pace but still have access to resources.  

Welcome back! Do come down for a few weeks when you can and get a better feel for life here. However, it sounds as though staying in the States will be better suited for your needs at this point. If cold weather is not a deterrent for you Bend OR (and the area around it) might meet your needs. Certain areas of Texas, Arizona, and Nevada may also offer you options. 

55 minutes ago, Mitch210 said:

Glad to see you got your sign in problem fixed.  I see you are actually in Oceanside  I always thought that was a pretty laid back place though I'd take San Clememte first (if I wanted to spend that much to live).  Actually, this is not a bad place to telecommute from given we are getting much faster internet now and there are a ton of flights out of Guadalajara which go to many, many major cities in the U.S. including San Diego LA, SF, Phx, and DFW, Houston, Austin, San Antonio.  The very good air service here is one of the attractions of the place.

Archived