Chapala.com Webboard

Transitioning to Lake Chapala This Coming Year from San Diego

Mitch210

I've been living and working in San Diego for the past 20 years and now its time to make a move, especially with all that is happening here in the US.  I have a friend living in Lake Chapala who has planted the seed in my mind re a move to Mexico.  I'd like to hear some feedback from ExPats who have made the move.  I've watched the YouTube videos and have been reading all that I can find.  

I work online doing Technology Sales and Business Development and see that this will be the major obstacle...being able to work online speaking with clients and the home office.  I also do web presentations, so need upload and download speeds which seem to be lacking.  All else seems incredible.

Thanks again...looking forward to your responses...Mitch

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your timing may be just right.... to come down and observe for a minimum of a week but 2 weeks even better. The ‘more options for better Internet’ that was mentioned above is a new fiber service that has not yet been implemented.... by the end of the month or surely year is suggested. Ilox is the name. That would surely support your needs for up and download speeds. 

Telephone service is already available using either Mexican land lines (free to the US) or Internet VoIP. The new fiber service will/can include phone and TV products. You will want to make SURE just where the fiber lines are already installed before you decide where to rent and when/where the ‘second round’ of installations will be made. 

And just as a side thought....  you mention “with all that is happening in the US”.  Just be aware that living in another culture, while weather is perfect, is not necessarily an escape from all things that are not to one’s liking. Maybe for a while one can pretend that everything is perfect but sooner or later......

Good luck with your ‘investigation’.

If you have never lived outside of the US, then you are in for a surprise... Services here are sometimes wanting, especially if your livelihood depends on them... Your data requirements outshine most areas at the present time... TelMex is hard pressed to provide adequate service to many areas... The new fiber-optic service is still in the installation stage. 

The good news is that this increased competition may induce TelMex to open their wallet and upgrade their service...

As mentioned above, make sure that the area you choose will accommodate your need...

We have a new internet provider in the area that is making much faster speeds available.  ILOX.  As noted it is still in the installation stage so there is no track record.

The biggest adjustment required here is the lack/quality of services and the difficulty/expense in purchasing many imported items.  This is definitely not at the level of San Diego living be aware.  Love that area, my brother used to live in San Clemente.  

Definitely come down for at least a week or two. This will not be like San Diego just with a cheaper cost of living. You need to be up for the experience and adventure of living in a different culture and all that it involves. When you are retired you have the time and energy  to deal with the learning curve. If you are moving down with job demands and pressures that is very different. People do it but the more you understand about how different it will be and the adjustments you need to make the better off you will be. You can “have to have” all you want. You will still be living and dealing with what you got. 

"All that is happening in the U.S." ain't nothin' compared to some of the things happening here, and you aren't likely to read about it on the 'net. Streets have deep potholes with no money available to get them repaired. Traffic is bad.  Politicians are, well, less than forthright. That Ilox fiber optic coming in one of these days will ask you to pay for a year in advance to get on the waiting list.  Some foods that you're used to won't be on the shelves. Big Time Crime is well organized into cartels.  Petty crime happens, too.

San Diego is a world away. You have to really like Mexico to be content here.  I'm from CA myself and it took a while to adjust, so by all means, take a few weeks to look around...and ask a lot of questions.  If you do decide to come long term, RENT DON'T BUY for at least 6 months and bear in mind that there are no property disclosure laws in real estate sales as there are in CA.

Have a productive and pleasurable visit!🙂

8 hours ago, gringal said:

"......That Ilox fiber optic coming in one of these days will ask you to pay for a year in advance to get on the waiting list.....

Have a productive and pleasurable visit!🙂

I’m not saying this is inaccurate but it was my understanding that this ‘year in advance’ was only for the early adopters as ILOX was needing to make sure there was enough bonafide interest to move forward with a large expenditure for expansion of their services to the North Shore. Once all the original folks have been installed they will turn then to the next level of customers, of which there is already a list.   If your needs are for that kind of service in the next few months, this will probably NOT happen for you. 

I would suggest that if you are in an area that gets any kind of Ilox installation, you will immediately be offered the chance to sign up. No way would I refuse new customer money with so little extra effort, just to meet some kind of altruistic early-adopter concept. There are going to hundreds, if not thousands, in that position.

Be it known that TelMex told me this week that they are laying fibre optic right now in Chapala, and expect to continue on through lakeside, with speeds hasta 200 Mbps. I spoke with a linesman actually doing some of the work. He said he couldn't give accurate predictions, but he expected Riberas early next year. Looks like TelMex knows all about Ilox now.

25 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

I would suggest that if you are in an area that gets any kind of Ilox installation, you will immediately be offered the chance to sign up. No way would I refuse new customer money with so little extra effort, just to meet some kind of altruistic early-adopter concept. There are going to hundreds, if not thousands, in that position

It will be a piece of cake to hook up new customers AFTER those of us who paid in advance are taken care of. That would be the HONEST thing to do. Otherwise, they can pay me interest on the advanced money and their name will be mud.

I pay in advance. Ilox strings along my street. My neighbour does not pay in advance. Ilox is without doubt going to knock on my neighbour's door and ask if they want to sign on. Why would they throw away an opportunity to start getting paid more money right now? "We have two people on the street who paid in advance, and 18 who did not. Let's just ignore the approx $9,000 pesos a month we could have collected, until we are all finished with everyone else. We don't need the income from them. It'll take about a year, and what's $108,000 pesos between "friends" ."

For one thing, the advance payments they got only assured them there was enough interest to start; it certainly did not come anywhere close to paying the actual cost, for which they are going to rely on long-term customers. It just doesn't make any sense as a business plan.

It is not a question of scruples. In any new venture, there are always those who take the first risk, and those who wait and see. The company is taking the bigger risk.

Thanks CG.  We have a dedicated TelMex line just for internet and it might make sense to drop this along with the internet service if the price of ILOX is about the same as the combined costs.  Could you also find out what levels of service and costs thereof they are offering?  We really do not need 75 Megs.  Twenty would be plenty.

The defining thing will be the reliability.  Izzycable is a complete flop at this (along with everything else).  TelMex may be slow but for us it has been very reliable.  

Here's from earlier documents:

❏ Ilox Triple Plan 50 (75 Mbps first year) total $9708 MXN
❏ Ilox Triple Plan 250 (300 Mbps first year) total $14748 MXN
❏ Ilox Doble Full VOZ y DATOS 50 (75 Mbps first year) total $ 7188 MXN

And details: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1cLG5POhVnfHDEgH8PswsJi4o_VZQbqGnJ2ZgHohy6x8/edit

Bottom of page 4...

Ilox will offer regular monthly service.    However prepaid subscribers will be prioritized for installation.   Once  installations start, things go  quickly and service could begin as early as 4-6 months.  Non-prepaid subscriptions are probably looking at  several months after that.   

On 11/27/2018 at 4:11 PM, Mitch210 said:

and now its time to make a move, especially with all that is happening here in the US.

Hi There, I was an expat long before I moved to Mexico to retire, so I haven't lived in the US for almost 20 years. I have seen this phrase used many times in the last 2 years, and I wonder if you could describe to me what this means to you. Are the taxes going up exponentially ? Utilities and infrastructure failing ? Riots in the streets like in France ? ICE officials combing through your neighborhood ? Food and gas and housing unaffordable ? I am truly trying to be respectful here, and don't want to "push any buttons," but am curious about this phrase . Thanks.

15 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Keep in mind I didn't say they would not hold true... I simply offered my opinion of what will actually happen.

Just so as to have another opinion on the Board (covering all bases) I think that they will install all the early adopters first and then come back to do the next wave later. Since we are both ‘guessing’ it probably does not make any difference that I am 2,000 miles away.  😎

18 minutes ago, cstone said:

Hi There, I was an expat long before I moved to Mexico to retire, so I haven't lived in the US for almost 20 years. I have seen this phrase used many times in the last 2 years, and I wonder if you could describe to me what this means to you. Are the taxes going up exponentially ? Utilities and infrastructure failing ? Riots in the streets like in France ? ICE officials combing through your neighborhood ? Food and gas and housing unaffordable ? I am truly trying to be respectful here, and don't want to "push any buttons," but am curious about this phrase . Thanks.

It would be a little difficult to miss your implication. 😉 Perhaps "all that is happening" might include the divisiveness and hostility pervading the atmosphere.  The daily news reeks of it.

Archived