Chapala.com Webboard

Saturday, Dec 1st. a paid holiday for workers?

geeser

On 11/26/2018 at 12:16 PM, Ferret said:

Yup. It's a statutory holiday every six years.

https://www.officeholidays.com/countries/mexico/index.php

According to that link, any statutory holiday that falls on Saturday is celebrated on Friday. So today's not really a holiday, even though it is the day Amlo is inaugurated?

Like Christmas and New Year's Day, the every-six-years presidential inauguration on December 1 is a paid holiday that does not move date to create a puente (long weekend).  TODAY is the inauguration, TODAY is the holiday.

In case anyone is interested, the program of events for today's inauguration will be markedly different from those of years and years past.  Mexico's new president, Andrés Manuel López Obrador, will have a celebration in Mexico City's Zócalo that will consist in its majority of indigenous dance troops, the passing of the baton from indigenous leaders to the new president to indicate their trust in and support of him (as well as his trust in and support of them), no military display hoo-ha, and no triumphal entrance into Los Pinos.  An inauguration of this type has not been seen since that of President Lázaro Cárdenas, in 1934.  

Below is my personal favorite meme from AMLO's candidacy, designed to look like a CDMX Metro stop sign:  Next stop....HOPE.  

AMLO HOPE.jpg

2 hours ago, bournemouth said:

Pete - are you sure about banks being open yesterday?  HSBC was closed.

I just know that Actinver was open, and others have posted that some other banks were open as well. As I have said before, AN expert about this subject, I AM NOT.

Archived