Chapala.com Webboard

Dogwalkers alarm

HarryB

Sadly the butt jars are being vandalized.

I'll talk to hector today about the good move of asking about pickup bags. Most expats are trained from back home(Except the few who think , this is mexico and i don't have to bother,). The biggest offenders are mexicans. Although I have seen progress with them carrying bags. And what about multiple dog  dog walkers?

Hector and I have talked about the loose dogs who are unattended. But, what is the answer. The muni doesn't have money/staff/facilities to shelter them. We've talked about a golf cart guy/gal going around to pickup in the lower village But where is the money to come from?

16 hours ago, HarryB said:

Today, on the Ajijic malecon there were gentlemen asking if dogwalkers had pickup bags. Good for all!

I walk a small dog for a gentleman who lives in the village.  I always carry bags with me, and try to keep the dog on the grassy areas until he's done his 'business'.  It's easier to pick up from there, and doesn't leave a smear of poo on the malecon or the sidewalks.

Harry, just wondering why there is no license fee required here for dogs? That annual fee gives you an identifying number tag to put on the dog(s) collar. Picking up a dog with that tag also gives you access to the owner's address... which could result in a fine to the owner for letting the dog run free.

Yeah, I know... mind my own business.

23 minutes ago, Ferret said:

Harry, just wondering why there is no license fee required here for dogs? That annual fee gives you an identifying number tag to put on the dog(s) collar. Picking up a dog with that tag also gives you access to the owner's address... which could result in a fine to the owner for letting the dog run free.

Yeah, I know... mind my own business.

This would be very difficult to implement.  Many Mexicans wouldn't do it, because they haven't had to before.  And since there is no 'dog catcher' hired by the municipality, dogs will continue to roam free.  The shelters that we do have are overburdened already.

42 minutes ago, suegarn said:

This would be very difficult to implement.  Many Mexicans wouldn't do it, because they haven't had to before.  And since there is no 'dog catcher' hired by the municipality, dogs will continue to roam free.  The shelters that we do have are overburdened already.

There would have to be a government shelter, which is actually required be law. Not having the $$ to create one, the municipality has to cast a blind eye to much. If the demand by the citizens is great, they will round up each and every dog which is running free, owned or not, an eventually "sacrifice" them by electrocution or shooting. In the case of electrocution, they put all the animals in a pen, run water through it and add electricity. Not a humane way to go. Me, I can deal with the poop more than the inhumane way they treat any dogs they pick up. Oh, another way is poison, so nice.

3 hours ago, luvsdawgs said:

There would have to be a government shelter, which is actually required be law. Not having the $$ to create one, the municipality has to cast a blind eye to much. If the demand by the citizens is great, they will round up each and every dog which is running free, owned or not, an eventually "sacrifice" them by electrocution or shooting. In the case of electrocution, they put all the animals in a pen, run water through it and add electricity. Not a humane way to go. Me, I can deal with the poop more than the inhumane way they treat any dogs they pick up. Oh, another way is poison, so nice.

This is true. When dogs become a problem to the community, they are rounded up and killed. Putting pressure on community leaders isn't a good idea. I won't name places where this happens, but it's common knowledge.

You guys have taken my idea in the WRONG direction. I didn't want a dog catcher... I didn't want a government shelter... I didn't want a kill shelter.

I wanted a means of identifying dogs so the various well meaning souls who regularly abduct dogs from the street because they have no tags would cease and desist.

There are free spay and neuter clinics for those who can't afford it... why not a free ID tag for those that can't afford it. 

18 hours ago, Ferret said:

You guys have taken my idea in the WRONG direction. I didn't want a dog catcher... I didn't want a government shelter... I didn't want a kill shelter.

I wanted a means of identifying dogs so the various well meaning souls who regularly abduct dogs from the street because they have no tags would cease and desist.

There are free spay and neuter clinics for those who can't afford it... why not a free ID tag for those that can't afford it. 

Who would pay for all the free ID tags?  And there is still the problem of enforcement.  Who would pay for that?

Enforcement is someone looking at a tag and NOT TAKING the dog but simply being able to look up (perhaps on line?) where that dog lives. Or report the tag number to the department of Ecologia 765-8025 which is the number I was given by the Ladron Clinic when I was worried about a dog in distress.   I would buy two license tags annually for my two dogs and I hope that the cost would cover some other tags for those that can't pay.

At the least, a simple book of the numbers should be held by the Department of Ecologia. Dogs running loose and pooping are a health hazard when said poop is not picked up.

Yeah, I know, dream on.

Just because a dog is loose, thin, dirty and/or matted does not mean it is not owned and loved. Again, if a dog is sick, injured, running about frantically and into traffic, by all means help it. However, every loose dog walking down the street that does not meet your standard of care is not yours for the taking. Mexicans wonder why foreigners keep stealing their dogs.

Thank you Xena. If there WAS a means of identifying a dog that is sick or injured, wouldn't it be a caring thing to INFORM the owner of the loved dog what has happened to their dog? How does one do that without identification tags.

An absolutely gorgeous German Shepard pup around 4 or 5 months old ran up to me as I got out of my car last Thursday. All ears, legs and wiggles. S/He was so sweet but had no collar and no tag. S/He ran off towards the direction of some other dogs barking.  IF S/He had a tag, I could have contacted the owner. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place... and you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

Funny , I live in San Cristobal de las casas and here and I stop in a lot of towns in between.. The streets here have way more garbage that any town  have seen but there are way less dogs than many other places I run into. Some cities like San Cristobal and many others kill the stray dogs on a regular basis.. They poison them at the markets as the dogs are hanging out near the meat counters.. nice places... Even villages do that. in Amatenango city hall told people to keep their dogs in their properties or they will be poisoned...    In Teotitlan another village, dogs without a rabies tag get poisoned as well.

There are way less stray dogs in Ajijic than ever.. There are dogs on the street but they are not stray dogs for the most part, they belong to people who feed them but let them roam and sleep on the street, t is different from plain stray dogs..  was in Michoacan this week-end and there were lots of stray dogs there in the villages  with many little puppies running on the highways.. Pretty sad.

9 hours ago, Ferret said:

Thank you Xena. If there WAS a means of identifying a dog that is sick or injured, wouldn't it be a caring thing to INFORM the owner of the loved dog what has happened to their dog? How does one do that without identification tags.

An absolutely gorgeous German Shepard pup around 4 or 5 months old ran up to me as I got out of my car last Thursday. All ears, legs and wiggles. S/He was so sweet but had no collar and no tag. S/He ran off towards the direction of some other dogs barking.  IF S/He had a tag, I could have contacted the owner. It's like being stuck between a rock and a hard place... and you're damned if you do and damned if you don't.

You are not damned by me or anyone I know, Ferret. You did the right thing. 

Past experience would dictate that owners would take the tags off the dogs. Firstly because they didn't put them on the dog, who probably doesn't have a collar. Secondly, because they wouldn't want to be IDed or bothered.

On 11/26/2018 at 11:46 AM, suegarn said:

Who would pay for all the free ID tags?  And there is still the problem of enforcement.  Who would pay for that?

If they have a collar, they an write their contact information on the collar. Collars are expensive too. We have supplied many new ones to the Ranch.

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I notice a big change in just the 10 years I have been here. 

I wonder when the first robot dog will make its appearance on the malecon? This one, by Sony, (of at least 10 models on the market) even lifts it leg to make a fake tinkle. It would draw quite a crowd, thats for sure.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/11/16876086/sony-aibo-hands-on-video-ces-2018

Archived