Chapala.com Webboard

Food Container Restaurant

ComputerGuy

Been a long time since I was there, as over time the portions began to shrink, some of the sauces started tasting funny, and an overall lack of selection of proper eat-out meals (as opposed to subs and the like) stayed minimal. But, had occasion to go this past Saturday, and I will go back again.

Had the fettucine Alfredo with chicken for $115, and it was very nice. Not gloppy, not too much butter, and lots of freshly-ground parmesan. A platter of grilled vegetables with portobello actually turned out to be a huge portobello burger, with no vegetables other than a thinly sliced tomato, and I guess 90p is what we are paying for this kind of thing now around here. (It did come with a huge side of average fries.)

I also had a side of fries sort of as an appetizer. It was also huge and 50p. Agua frescas were served in large glasses. The menu is now very large. We saw a couple of tables wolfing down massive burgers and sandwiches. I'll go back to try some of their new items, and report if it becomes a place to go.

I like their Hamburguesa Classica. imho, better than Trip's. They need either more floor fans or ceiling fans to move the air. I'm usually there once every couple of weeks and don't have a fly problem because I park myself in front of the fan. Ask and ye shall receive.

1 hour ago, NLU said:

When I complained about the flies, I was told that there were cows grazing nearby.

In any case, their burgers need real cheddar cheese as oposed to the plastic sh*t they now use.

You can ask for queso blanco. It is real cheese. 

I have been going there since they opened and have never been disappointed with their food. The flies were a big problem during fly season. They did everything they could to keep them down and did move fans in order to keep them away. I have tried everyone of their sushi  which have all been delicious. Their portions have always been large, their hamburger is huge and one does not have to take out a loan in order to pay for one. (Unlike Trip's which are highly overrated and over priced.) The staff is friendly and helpful and the Margaritas are good, what more can a person ask for?

Have to disagree on the sushi, unless they've changed, and I doubt it because of the way Mexico likes its sushi. Plain white rice, overcooked instead of steamed, and not flavoured with cooking wine; cream cheese in everything, and oddly when you ask for no cream cheese, the flavour goes with it.

I also have frequented The Container since they opened. I agree that the hanburgers are amongst the best Lakeside. We order delivery from them often.

But, I maintain that I have yet to get a real piece of cheeses in all the times I have orderd.

I have ate their several times n the last 3 months and agree the burgers are good but it is very distracting to have to hover over your plate to keep the flies away.  I don't understand why all the staff isn't issued fly swatters and several minutes be devoted to killing flies before they open.  I understand in an open restaurant like this it is hard to control the flies but fliy traps can be put out and other means of control used.  There are several other open air restaurants in the area and none of them have the problem like the Container does.

About the fly issue- I went to a zoo once that had hardly any flies or bees around their eating area. I asked what they were doing, and was told by a woman at their reception desk, after she checked with someone else, "Oscar Meyer". Huh?? They put a hole in the top of a jar and Oscar Meyer lunch meat in the bottom. The flies or bees went in and couldn't get back out. 

3 hours ago, gringal said:

Please expand on this. How does this work, exactly?

Unproven by Snopes but an interesting idea.  In Bisbee there were a few small restaurants who used water bags; some of the owners were of Mexican heritage.  Bisbee's fly season was short and we never noticed a difference between water-bagged restaurants and the rest.  

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/fly-bye/

I asked why they didn't use Eco-Mint spray that is natural and really repels the flies.  They said the owner had a friend that made up some "stuff" that they used as fly spray.  Smelled like some kind of cleaning solution to me and didn't work.  I requested that the waiter speak to the owners about the problem but no change.  Maybe next year.

Archived