Chapala.com Webboard

How many retirees return to their home countries?

Tecolote

Does anyone have any general information that would answer the question what proportion of of expats who come to live in the Chapala area end up returning to their home countries? I don't think there's been any kind of study, at least that I've been able to find online.

I know, just from personal experience, that sometimes retirees plan to stay in the  Chapala area permanently, but then, for a variety of reasons (medical conditions, or the desire to be closer to family, or other things), they end up choosing to return to their home countries.

If the population of American expats in the Chapala area is 20-30,000, what proportion of these people tend, over time, to go back to live in the States? -- That's the kind of information I'm interested in, if anyone has personal experience, or even facts and figures!

Thanks

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For one thing, I've never heard the statistic of "20-30,000 expats" living in the Chapala area!  I doubt that there IS a figure that is more than an educated guess but your figure is WAY over what I've ever heard.

Otherwise sorry but I can't help with your quest for numbers of expats who have left for whatever reason. The ones that I know of, some of whom said that they would be buried at Lakeside, did in fact leave... all due to medical or medical insurance reasons.

1 hour ago, dichosalocura said:

I have heard it said by the girls that work in the consulate that there are approximately 60,000 US passport holders in the Lake Chapala area, but a large number of those are people with dual citizenship, meaning Mexicans that have US citizenship and also other nationals that also maintain a US citizenship.

And they were all on the Carretera yesterday.

6 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

I have heard it said by the girls that work in the consulate that there are approximately 60,000 US passport holders in the Lake Chapala area, but a large number of those are people with dual citizenship, meaning Mexicans that have US citizenship and also other nationals that also maintain a US citizenship.

Might that include Guadalajara?

Some anecdotal information that to me indicates the percentage may be higher.

We moved here 15 years ago from Dallas with 2 other couples. About a month after we all arrived friends of one of the couples came down for a visit and of course bought a house immediately. A few years later we met another couple from Austin. 

The 2 couples that moved with us returned to Texas after about 7 years. One due to health and the other left for other reasons. The 4th couple moved back after 12 years and the last couple returned last year. Both health related.

Out of 10 people in our circle of friends, we are the only ones still here with no exit strategy, good health or bad. Again, anecdotally that is an 80% return rate.

Been here over 14 years.  Children are all grown and living in three widely separated parts of the U.S.  They visit here occasionally.  

We've had much better medical care here than we had back in the States.  Several really bad experiences happened there, so there is no way we wish to return for that reason.

We're here for the long haul.  So far, only two people we've known here moved back to the States; both to be near family.

I think there are a lot of different rationals packed into "returning to be near the grand kids". It's our local socially acceptable excuse. And that's great.

I think a big adjustment for many people coming here is to the rural environment. That doesn't feature much in all the promotion of the Lakeside area. It can be a big deal for some people after years of living here.

When we moved from Chapala in 2014, after 13 years, it was for health reasons. We spent four years in Tucson, but an even lower elevation would have been better. Just now, we have moved to Alamo, TX, in the Rio Grande Valley. On looking for the U-Haul place, to return the trailer, I asked for directions at a truck repair shop. The mechanic said, "No hablo ingles", and I knew we had chosen the right area! The border is just 10 miles away and the Mexican culture is alive and well here, yet we are still in the USA and can use Medicare and the VA, as well as dentists in Nuevo Progresso.  The cost of living in Alamo is supposed to be less than in Tucson. Time will tell. Although we do have an HOA in the 55+ Alamo Country CLub, where we bought this home.

On ‎11‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:43 AM, RVGRINGO said:

When we moved from Chapala in 2014, after 13 years, it was for health reasons. We spent four years in Tucson, but an even lower elevation would have been better. Just now, we have moved to Alamo, TX, in the Rio Grande Valley. On looking for the U-Haul place, to return the trailer, I asked for directions at a truck repair shop. The mechanic said, "No hablo ingles", and I knew we had chosen the right area! The border is just 10 miles away and the Mexican culture is alive and well here, yet we are still in the USA and can use Medicare and the VA, as well as dentists in Nuevo Progresso.  The cost of living in Alamo is supposed to be less than in Tucson. Time will tell. Although we do have an HOA in the 55+ Alamo Country CLub, where we bought this home.

RV does that mean you are taking bak all the bad things you said about TEXAS???

Not all of it. Actually we have always liked Texas, but I do have serious issues with their educational system and the 'red' bias in both education and politics. That and the rather inaccurate Alamo story; the one in San Antonio.  This area, the Rio Grande Valley, is predominately 'blue' and very Hispanic.

I returned to Texas after 7 years, no special reason, but then I wasn't in MX for any special reason. Max the cat and I are like Texas tumble weeds, our roots are shallow and the wind blows us where it will. As far as the red bias, that's probably what makes Texas God's Country and even RV is welcome - ha.

Archived