Chapala.com Webboard

Can a member go back to a thread on this board and delete one of his/her posts after the fact?

gringohombre

In a recent thread (Now I've Seen it All...........) there was a long drawn out post by AngusMactavish regarding supposed research concerning dogs transmitting disease to humans. I pointed out the absurdity of of this regarding the point that OP was trying to make. Revisiting the thread I see that the AngusMactavish post was eliminated leaving my response hanging and seeming irrelevant. Can he or anybody go back and change history on this board? When I first joined over 10 years ago there were many more posts here providing good information and discussions on local activity. Now with all the "likes" and counts of posts it seems like it is a popularity contest with the same cadre of posters all seem to be weighing in on everything even if what they are saying is just bla, bla. bla. Now, if someone can go back and eliminate a post just because it was pointed out to be stupid or not relevant this is a whole new ball game. Just my opinion.

9 minutes ago, Al Berca said:

The ability  for the OP to delete their entire post, thread and all responses or simply any or all of his/her posts/comments has been an option available to all of us for years.

He was not the OP. His was simply a post on the subject.

10 minutes ago, Ferret said:

If you "quote" the post of the person that you are replying to, it will not be deleted even if they delete or edit the original.

I did not "quote" him. I simply made my post under his. Are you saying that a person can go back and eliminate a past post on a subject? 

I am going to have to go back to a real old post I made and see if I can still edit it or delete the contents. I didn't know that there was a time limit on doing so. But that's just because I have never tried it..

If so, it seems to me that this is a flaw in the system. If someone posts something that a lot of the following posters comment on (god or bad) and then the first poster simply can go in and delete his original post then it makes the others look foolish because there will be no context. Many, many posters so not use the "quote" feature, they simply use the handle name to refer to the quote or by posting immediately below it such as I am doing here. Why should someone be "let off the hook" in retrospect after others have commented on what he/she has said? If anyone has the answer to this let me know. There might be a few quotes that I have made in the past that maybe I should reconsider. I know there has been a lot or rewriting history recently, but do not think it should apply to a simple, honest web-board. 

26 minutes ago, gringohombre said:

If so, it seems to me that this is a flaw in the system. If someone posts something that a lot of the following posters comment on (god or bad) and then the first poster simply can go in and delete his original post then it makes the others look foolish because there will be no context. Many, many posters so not use the "quote" feature, they simply use the handle name to refer to the quote or by posting immediately below it such as I am doing here. Why should someone be "let off the hook" in retrospect after others have commented on what he/she has said? If anyone has the answer to this let me know. There might be a few quotes that I have made in the past that maybe I should reconsider. I know there has been a lot or rewriting history recently, but do not think it should apply to a simple, honest web-board. 

Gringohombre, the ability to delete a post isn't exclusive to Chapala.com web boards.  It's the same on Facebook and it's the same on another page I belong to.  On that page, one can't delete or edit a post more than two hours after making it.  On FB, posts can be deleted forever.  If someone QUOTES a post and the poster of the quote then deletes or edits his or her post, you won't see the OP in its original place, but it will continue to exist (as originally posted) in your quote.  If you simply reply to a post (not quote the OP) which is subsequently deleted, you have the option to delete your reply.  

I saw what happened with your reply to the post in question.  I just figured he'd deleted his post; it didn't occur to me that you looked foolish.  If you think you do look foolish, go delete your post.

6 hours ago, johanson said:

I am going to have to go back to a real old post I made and see if I can still edit it or delete the contents. I didn't know that there was a time limit on doing so. But that's just because I have never tried it..

I just went back to a post I made in mid July some 4 months ago and I was able to do most anything I wanted to my old post. I deleted portions changed words and could have done most anything to my post, but not to anyone else's. Feeling that it is wrong to leave anything terribly changed, the only permanent change I made (or left after changing everything else back) was to change I don't like that  to I do not like this.

And so Gringohombre, simply do as Ferret posted above and it will work.

I just deleted my post from 11 hours ago in this thread... it's gone. But this is what is said...

"For a certain time period, ANY person who is replying within a thread can delete or edit their own post. If you press the "quote" button on their post, it will show up in your reply and then you respond under their quote. What you have quoted cannot be changed or deleted... unless, perhaps, the original poster deletes the entire thread (as stated above by Al Berca). Edited 11 hours ago by Ferret
clarification
"

I was just told about this. Okay, you can delete your own posts anytime. You can change the title of your own post (something that everyone should know when they realize they've made a huge typo). I went back to my post about Italo's pizza, and was given two choices only: Hide and Delete. I clicked Hide... the entire thread disappeared.

There were no other options. There were no choices to delete someone else's reply to my thread.

So at the moment, until shown otherwise, I don't believe you can post someone else's post. Which continues both my question from the other thread, and gringohombre's question.

Archived