Chapala.com Webboard

Los 5 Potrillos under New Management!

Sea

Great news for fans of Los 5 Potrillos in Ixtlahuacán de los Membrillos.

New manager, Salvadore; new menu, all food and drink stocked. It's been (re)opened for about 3 months.

Salvadore impressed us with his hard work to turn this old favorite around. He's running a Sunday, all you can eat buffet,  from 8:30 am to 1 pm. He's put a grill out in the dining room to display his cooking, in addition to the buffet. 80p adults, 50p for children under 12.

He's putting in a pizza oven and will start offering pizzas around December 1st. He spent 15 years working at a pizza place in the States, so I'm looking forward to this.

The prices are really reasonable, a lot of dishes 45 - 60p. Plates, for example, mole poblano, 60p. Burritos, 45p.

He's planning a New Year's Eve party with mariachis. Lots of energy and creativity going into this, as you can see. I'm wishing him good luck. Have a lot of fond memories of this place.

Phone: 333 507 0722   English spoken

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Los-5-potrillos-1518539831728700/?ref=page_internal

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Al Berca said:

I hope this time it works for them and brings them the success they have had In the past.  They certainly deserve it.

It looks like Pancho's family doesn't have much to do with the restaurant now, other than perhaps leasing or renting the space. The tables and chairs are the same.

When I was there, it was quite slow. It has a long way to go to rebuild clientele.

On 11/19/2018 at 8:09 AM, dcstroker said:

Good to know, this used to be one of our favorite restaurants. It's also the closest to our house. Will definitely have to give them another try.

My friend from Ixtla. was with me. She reluctantly switched over to other village restaurants... there aren't many, as you know. She's switching back to 5 Potrillos again. Has eaten there twice since I went, takes her own favorite wine like she used to - that was fine with Salvatore. Quite pleased with all the dishes she tried.

6 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

What are hours and days?  When do they start the music, we would want to avoid that.

Looking forward to a return visit and getting back an old favorite.

MC, sorry, I don't have that info. I have a sample menu, but it's not on there or the Facebook page. Your best bet is to call.

Salvatore, 333 507 0722

• Like 1

Four of us braved the pouring rain and went there   Let me put it this way:  CINCO POTRILLOS IS BACK!  We decided to test by ordering the fajitas which were always far better than anything available locally.  We ordered two orders, beef and shrimp.  What came out was two huge platters of sizzling perfect fajitas.   Now all of us were big fans of the place when Pancho was alive and we loved the fajitas the best.  If anything these were even better.

To the mix add in a perfectly fixed side of guacamole, very good beans, rice and tortillas.  This was celebration night so there were three rounds of a tequila/mineral water with lime, 9 in all and 3 Indios for me.  Total tab came to 840 pesos, $42, plus tip.  The new owner both served and cooked as it was a slow night with all the rain.  Clearly he knows how to both cook and wait tables, service was impeccable.  

Currently he is open 7 days per week from noon to 8PM, or a little later on the weekend and has a breakfast brunch on Sunday which appears to be a screaming bargain even at lakeside prices, 80 pesos. We intend to try that real soon.

Music is occasional and only later in the evenings on weekends.  It was lovely quiet there when we went. 

Start bringing your guests arriving at the airport in the afternoons for a great meal and a great deal and the enjoyment of the murals in the church and on the plaza.  The main street and much of the plaza has been refurbished and is very nice indeed.  

Our group gave it 8 thumbs up!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

You have made my mouth water. I am glad to hear that things are looking up. Cinco Potrillos was always one of our favorite places, and we also liked it better than most places in either Ajijic or Chapala for ambiance, service, quality and food.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RVGRINGO said:

You have made my mouth water. I am glad to hear that things are looking up. Cinco Potrillos was always one of our favorite places, and we also liked it better than most places in either Ajijic or Chapala for ambiance, service, quality and food.

Us too.  Well worth the short drive over the mountain.  Pancho's daughter came in while we are there, she was a lovely child and has grown into a quite beautiful joven.  It was nice but sad to see her because it reminded us of what happened to him.  One of the nice things about the restaurant when he was there is how he'd always come out and visit with us and current visitors.  He is missed.

• Like 1

That map is great.

It's easy to find. Drive on the main road into Ixtla., through the plaza. Continue one block, turn left. One block, left again. It's in the middle of the block on the left.

I don't post on TOB, so if anyone wants to copy my first post over there, (and add to it or whatever), feel free. Full permission.

4 hours ago, Sea said:

That map is great.

It's easy to find. Drive on the main road into Ixtla., through the plaza. Continue two blocks, turn left. One block, left again. It's in the middle of the block on the left.

I think it's two blocks after the plaza, will check or correct me, if wrong.

I don't post on TOB, so if anyone wants to copy my first post over there, (and add to it or whatever), feel free. Full permission.

Actually it's one block past the plaza, two blocks if you count the plaza.

• Like 1

I'm really torn about whether I should write this review. I really want Los Cinco Potrillos to do well but after coming back from eating the Sunday buffet I just feel that I have to say something.

My wife and I went there at 10:00 which I felt would normally be when a restaurant would be fairly busy for a Sunday buffet. Other than a couple there with their young child we were the only ones in the restaurant and when we left there was no one there.

As to the food. There were three dishes besides the beans, chilequiles, eggs and chorizo, and a chicken dish. While the chicken dish was tasty the other two looked to be on their last legs, the chilequiles looked soggy and the eggs and chorizo was getting dried out. They all were also getting cool. They had sterno type burners but they weren't being used. I can understand not putting out a lot of food if there isn't going to be anyone to eat it. I don't know what people that might come in after us would eat but it didn't look promising.

No complaints about the price, 80 pesos, but I would have been more than happy to pay more for more variety and quality. 

Sea mentioned that they were planning on serving pizzas. If that is the case I'll definitely be back to give them another try, if not I doubt it.