Chapala.com Webboard

Now I've Seen it All...........

Guiness

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, wanderer said:

That link takes you to a page where you have to sign up, etc., or agree to things and I don't know if under the free section that article would be visible.  If you want to share, best to cut and paste it directly on the forum.

My take:

There are many people (including kids) allergic to these critters.

I cannot even imagine to sit on the airplane next to one. I think they will allow animals on board until they will have few emergency landings or a death. I can walk out of a restaurant. Little more difficult from a plane.

When a dog licks me  I have a rash over all of my body which takes weeks of medication and misery to get rid of. Worst yet reaction to cats.(My lungs will shut off.) So.... I have to be so very careful.  Many  people around here are on an immunity system suppressants and it takes not much to trigger an attack .So they have to be careful as well.

I do understand people's love for their pets but I do  not understand their selfishness and militancy.

Luckily not all pet owners are same and most are loving but responsible and educated to recognize some of the issues others have.

Peace.

You are correct Islander and that is why I always ask people before getting in to my car if they have an allergy to dog hair. I knew a guy back in Canada that was deadly allergic to dog hair. Myself, each time a sweep my floor which is every day I always tell my dog that if I had no hair to sweep up then it would mean that she was no longer here...(yes i talk to my dog)

I have no objection to service dogs being with people who need them but i venture to say 99% of the dogs I see in restaurants are not serving as a service dog.  My wife who is Mexican says if the gringos need to take someone to lunch why isn't it a needy nino.  

I have no medical problems, thank heavens BUT I get scratch fever.  Dogs or cats doesn't matter.  Every single scratch breaking the skin lays me low for 3 or 4 days.  WE have had cats our entire married life.  None have claws. All were indoor-outdoor and killers magnifico!   The oldest lived to be 22 1/2 and the next was 19.  My husband has 4 cats.  They have no claws. You would faint at what premium  I had to pay the vet because Sue the "Cat Lady" was not going to give my husband new kitties unless I paid a bundle to help other kitties.  She understood it was medical necessity but no paga no gatitas.  Anyway I don't want  your dog near me.  At all. Not in the grocery, not at your house, not in your car, not in the restaurant.

Some years ago we saw a woman receiving communion at mass while clutching her chihuahua. Her Mexican driver explained after mass that she was extremely agoraphobic. So if that little fellow let her come to mass more power to them both. Are the service dog vests the same as buying a FAKE handicapped pass to park in those spaces???  I have no idea how it works here but in the states Delta society trains you and your dog for therapy visits. You have to pass a bunch of tests to go to hospitals and nursing homes. Seeing eye dogs go through rigorous training. I would assume to get a legit service dog you would need a DR.s letter and some organization will train you and it. There are hearing dogs, seizure dogs, dogs that navigate with someone in a wheelchair and so on. Dogs for people claiming agoraphobia would I suppose to be an easy scam to perpetuate. I have seen stores and  restaurants with no mascota signs. So I guess he OP should look for those. I need valium for the dentist maybe I should consider brining my dog 😁  Chris Bublin

13 hours ago, solajijic said:

I have no medical problems, thank heavens BUT I get scratch fever.  Dogs or cats doesn't matter.  Every single scratch breaking the skin lays me low for 3 or 4 days.  WE have had cats our entire married life.  None have claws. All were indoor-outdoor and killers magnifico!   The oldest lived to be 22 1/2 and the next was 19.  My husband has 4 cats.  They have no claws. You would faint at what premium  I had to pay the vet because Sue the "Cat Lady" was not going to give my husband new kitties unless I paid a bundle to help other kitties.  She understood it was medical necessity but no paga no gatitas.  Anyway I don't want  your dog near me.  At all. Not in the grocery, not at your house, not in your car, not in the restaurant.

Wow amazing what people get away with saying I have never refused to allow someone to adopt a cat  or extorted monies from them I do not believe in mutilating an animal by declawing but I do know there are situations where there is no choice.  We do not give out our kittens for free but I am surprised that you considered our 150 Peso fee as a bundle.

19 minutes ago, el bartman said:

Seems to me if you are allergic to dogs take an allergy shot.  If my dog is elegible to be on a plane or a restaurant terrace so be it.  Mine is a therapy dog regularly visiting hospitals and old folks.   If you`re allergic to flowers whatcha going to do - get rid of all the trees and flowers

The discussion is about the phony “emotional support” dog that is untrained and being used as a prop to make its owner feel special. I never heard anyone objecting to trained service and support dogs being anywhere. So, a person who is allergic should pay to take a shot so that privileged adults can prove how special they are by bringing their dogs where normally dogs are not allowed? 

On 11/18/2018 at 11:51 AM, wanderer said:

The oldest trick in the book…take some way out there, obscure and extremely rare situation and use it to buttress your argument. How about these facts…maybe we should outlaw restaurants!

Time Magazine…351,000 People Die of Food Poisoning Globally Every Year

Bloomberg….Contaminated Food Causes More Than 3,000 Deaths Each Year in the U.S.

CDC estimates that each year in the U.S. 48 million people get sick from a food-borne illness, about half from restaurant food. 128,000 are hospitalized, and 3,000 die.

On 11/17/2018 at 4:25 PM, Guiness said:

Yesterday I had to go to my dentist for a scheduled dental surgery.  I arrived 10 minutes early and was the only one in the waiting room.  A few minutes later, a woman came out from one of the patient treatment rooms WITH HER DOG ON A LEASH!  I was shocked and quickly asked the receptionist, "Did that lady just come out from having a dental procedure with her dog in there with her?  I was told Yes that the woman was nervous with dental proceedures and the dog helped relax her.!!   I wasted no time in letting the receptionist know my displeasure.  I then proceeded into the treatment room and addressed this directly  with Dr. Candy.  She told me - "We always disinfect after each patient."  I  will be looking for a new dentist.  I love dogs as much as the next person but not in what should be a sterile environment.  Now I believe I've seen it all.  This one took the cake after 8 years here permanently!!  FYI .

11 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

It's a moot point, isn't it. Dogs sh** wherever they happen to be, when they need to do it. Therefore, no dogs allowed.

I have had dogs most of my life...3 now, all rescued street dogs and they are indoor/outdoor and never have sh** in my house. Maybe you should adopt one to see how smart and clean they actuality are. You might be surprised. By the way I myself would never take my dog to a restaurant but the last time I checked this is still a free country and if a restaurateur wants to allow dogs, so be it. As I said before it is very simple, if you are that concerned to simply pick up the phone and call any public place that you might be wanting to visit and simply ask "do you allow dogs?"

21 minutes ago, shirkido said:

some people  run the world and the rest of us have to think their way because they are always right

Sorry, still laughing. Because they're always right? Until they're not and get voted out.

Computerguy, Cora has never had an accident in the house and I've had her since she was three months old. Zorra never had an accident in the house either and we had her since she was 8 weeks old. Ginny has had accidents... when she had a severe intestinal infection but none since.

My girls are fine on their own in the house. I don't take them to restaurants. 

Perhaps we should be looking at a more serious problem..cause and effect situation

Are there now more people   with anxiety problems then in the past .What are the reasons for people to be suffering. 

Maybe with need to to show more compassion , like folks suffering from Post dramatic stress.

On reflection, I recall our kids always had to take along a blanket or favourite Teddy Bear when traveling 

Most people's pets are housebroken. Ferret is considerate of other people by keeping them at home rather than taking them into restaurants.  The suggestion one poster made that people who don't want to dine with the dogs (or have them in other places such as medical offices) should have to call the establishment and inquire as to whether it follows the law, or not, is unreasonable.  That goes for the suggestion re allergy shots as well.  Unfortunately, there are too many who agree with that reasoning, aka "the entitled".  There is more than one person around here who has allergies to animals.  What's wrong with being considerate of others and leaving the pets at home?  Is it really that burdensome?  You all know the answer, whether you want to hear it or not. 

10 minutes ago, lakeside7 said:

Perhaps we should be looking at a more serious problem..cause and effect situation

Are there now more people   with anxiety problems then in the past .What are the reasons for people to be suffering. 

Maybe with need to to show more compassion , like folks suffering from Post dramatic stress.

On reflection, I recall our kids always had to take along a blanket or favourite Teddy Bear when traveling 

Blankets and teddy bears don't cause other people problems.

Look, it's not a free world. There are laws in this country regarding dogs. The fact that trained animals don't poop in their own house means nothing if you are taking that dog to a strange place. Dogs get nervous, and when they get nervous, they poop. There are reasons that laws exist about this. This is all grown-up stuff that everyone on this board already knows, whether they agree with it or not.

And to assume that the only reason to not take a dog is because they poop, is extremely small-minded and simply an effort to justify an argument by excluding everything else, which neither I nor anyone else will fall for.

And gringohombre, since you obviously have no clue about me: I've had several dogs. I've trained several dogs. I've had rescue dogs in my family, here in Mexico for years until the last one died of old age. So don't bother trying to tell me how "smart and clean" they are. You only have one saving grace in your diatribe: you don't take dogs to restaurants.

35 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Look, it's not a free world. There are laws in this country regarding dogs. The fact that trained animals don't poop in their own house means nothing if you are taking that dog to a strange place. Dogs get nervous, and when they get nervous, they poop. There are reasons that laws exist about this. This is all grown-up stuff that everyone on this board already knows, whether they agree with it or not.

And to assume that the only reason to not take a dog is because they poop, is extremely small-minded and simply an effort to justify an argument by excluding everything else, which neither I nor anyone else will fall for.

And gringohombre, since you obviously have no clue about me: I've had several dogs. I've trained several dogs. I've had rescue dogs in my family, here in Mexico for years until the last one died of old age. So don't bother trying to tell me how "smart and clean" they are. You only have one saving grace in your diatribe: you don't take dogs to restaurants.

When you say "no dogs allowed" is this your rule for your house or restaurant? If so, that is fine, but it is certainly not the law of the land. 

Archived