Chapala.com Webboard

where to get small cans of wood stain

bdmowers

As the person who started the topic, you can delete everything posted by everyone answering or responding on your topic. And then you can start over by posting a copy of the original post or perhaps slightly changed and all of the former answers be they good or bad have been deleted. And it looks like he just made the original post on this perhaps repeated topic some 45 minutes before your last post.

Just guessing.

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

I'm curious, bdmowers. I knew you would change your post, but how did you get rid of my post, which should only have been accessible by me. That's why there are passwords.

What? I know something you don`t about the board?? Well, now, if I tell you then you`ll have all the power! OK I`ll give you a pretty big hint -  there a button at the top starting with the word "Moderation".  But, usually, this is a secret I only tell the Initiated!

2 hours ago, johanson said:

As the person who started the topic, you can delete everything posted by everyone answering or responding on your topic. And then you can start over by posting a copy of the original post or perhaps slightly changed and all of the former answers be they good or bad have been deleted. And it looks like he just made the original post on this perhaps repeated topic some 45 minutes before your last post.

Just guessing.

Oh, shoot, now he knows EVERYTHING!

On 11/17/2018 at 6:04 PM, bdmowers said:

Oh, shoot, now he knows EVERYTHING!

Well, okay, have a good laugh. I did not know that, and I will be pushing to make that option unavailable to anyone except moderators, it is true. What a ridiculous concept; allowing members to moderate other members.

There is no way a member can delete another member's posts unless signed in as that member... or is a moderator. Logic then says that bdmowers is a moderator, and blew it. If it was possible, users would be deleting other member posts all over the place.

I await a response.

4 hours ago, Ferret said:

Yes you can eliminate all evidence that you made a post within someone else's thread Pete. Click on options at the bottom of your post and choose delete.

Hey Ferret, and I thought I was an expert on this subject :) How wrong I was. I just deleted the message immediately before yours that you corrected.  Thanks for correcting me. One learns something every day if he is willing to admit his mistakes. 

Again thanks :o

This computer stuff (and life) is constantly evolving Pete. I don't remember being able to do what I described in the past either. The board is changing too so we'll just have to keep sharing the "updates" that we trip over. Glad I could share with you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/19/2018 at 9:29 AM, ComputerGuy said:

There is no way a member can delete another member's posts unless signed in as that member... or is a moderator. Logic then says that bdmowers is a moderator, and blew it. If it was possible, users would be deleting other member posts all over the place.

I await a response.

I didn`t delete another member`s post.  I simply deleted my entire topic.

On 11/18/2018 at 7:10 PM, ComputerGuy said:

Well, okay, have a good laugh. I did not know that, and I will be pushing to make that option unavailable to anyone except moderators, it is true. What a ridiculous concept; allowing members to moderate other members.

You`re hunting the wrong animal.  That`s not at all what I did.

Okay, I get it now. You deleted the whole thread, and since I was only the first responder, mine went with it. Okay then. I still and will always disagree with giving any user the power to delete anyone else's posts, regardless of the methodology. It's a cheap shot.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

Okay, I get it now. You deleted the whole thread, and since I was only the first responder, mine went with it. Okay then. I still and will always disagree with giving any user the power to delete anyone else's posts, regardless of the methodology. It's a cheap shot.

Deleting one`s whole thread is very useful when you``ve just posted it and you`ve already had a few trolls trashing it up. You can just start over.  The trolls don`t usually repost.

Should not be your call. You post it, it stays. For good and bad. It's the same as going back and changing your post. It's the same as dumping your car's ashtray on the highway, when you've already had a few butts trashing it up. You can just start over.

3 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

Should not be your call. You post it, it stays. For good and bad. It's the same as going back and changing your post. It's the same as dumping your car's ashtray on the highway, when you've already had a few butts trashing it up. You can just start over.

Of course it should be my call, in both situations.  It is my post and should be under my control.  The controllers of this board agree.  It is why they kept the feature. 

Archived