Chapala.com Webboard

Town Hall Results

HarryB

1. If you are stopped, ask for the reason. The officer has to have his ID displayed. If he doesn't, he is probably planning to shake you down. Ask for the ID and photo it if you can. Don't try to photo him. A representative from State Transito was given the available letters, pictures from Facebook and statements presented at the meeting. Ask for the "folio" and NEVER pay a bribe.

2. If you are harassed in any way , you can call the police to come and protect you. An english speaking officer will answer 332 161 5903. Municipal Transito also can be called 331 566 3440.

3. Have you paperwork in order. CURRENT licence, CURRENT registration, CURRENT insurance, your emissions sticker if due. If an imported car, your CURRENT visa. If you are missing one of these you can be ticketed. If you are missing two, your car can be impounded.

4. Municipal Transito will begin enforcing laws December 6. We alerted them to motorcycle drivers and the intersection in La Floresta at the monument.

5. they will have definitive answers about golf carts in January.

Harry thank you for your efforts

Maybe a crazy thought , but what if we could have a business card size message to hand over...with the following, or similar  message in Spanish;

Why I am being stopped ?

I do not believe I made an infraction

I will not pay a bribe

Please give me a ticket or I wish to call Officer????

Right, do not try to photo the guy. That will only cause problems. Happened to me. A better idea is my dashcam, and making sure I get in front of the car to talk to the transito. It records audio and HiDef video... quite easy to see badges, faces, etc.

17 hours ago, HarryB said:

1. If you are stopped, ask for the reason. The officer has to have his ID displayed. If he doesn't, he is probably planning to shake you down. Ask for the ID and photo it if you can. Don't try to photo him. A representative from State Transito was given the available letters, pictures from Facebook and statements presented at the meeting. Ask for the "folio" and NEVER pay a bribe.

2. If you are harassed in any way , you can call the police to come and protect you. An english speaking officer will answer 332 161 5903. Municipal Transito also can be called 331 566 3440.

3. Have you paperwork in order. CURRENT licence, CURRENT registration, CURRENT insurance, your emissions sticker if due. If an imported car, your CURRENT visa. If you are missing one of these you can be ticketed. If you are missing two, your car can be impounded.

4. Municipal Transito will begin enforcing laws December 6. We alerted them to motorcycle drivers and the intersection in La Floresta at the monument.

5. they will have definitive answers about golf carts in January.

What perplexed me was they brought 2 cops on stage and asked the audience if any of the 2 tried to get mordida from anyone in the audience and if so they would be immediately fired.  No one raised their hands. Seemed like a bit of theatre there. Especially when one of the cops had a beard . When was the last time you saw a cop with a beard?  Too much talk of Gordo. Why didn't they bring him on stage? It felt for a while like the Gordo show. Why didn't they say that he will be fired? His name was mentioned at least 15 times. What power this guy has. Can someone explain this. Heads of Municipal and transito cops were there. Why wasn't the question raised as to why Gordo will not be fired? They had enough proof in front of them  with pictures etc of him with almost every member of the audience in agreement about this  character. Why didn't anyone come right out and say why aren't they firing Gordo or send him to Mezcala to be a beat cop.  As far as golf carts I wish someone would have brought up ATVs and families riding on one scooter.  I found it interesting that The new chief was not there  and  only had one statement for those in attendance  that it is illegal  to offer a cop mordida. Very embracing message if you ask me. That to me was all I needed to hear. Same as it ever was. How long will that english speaking phone cop be manning that phone and will it be 24 hours. And then they asked someone in the audience to call the number and see if someone will pick up. Tell me that wasn't  planned. I am glad they had a meeting but that all what it was. A Pr campaign. Time will tell. For me evidence of what said beats disbelief. The malecon patrol I hear is already gone.

1. The Municipal Commandante was trying to demonstrate that he is absolutely serious about not allowing any extorsion among his force.

2.Gordo has been extorting this community for years under many commanders. You have no idea of the power of mexican unions. They require more proof than courts . El Gordo will not be fired. He will be transferred.

3 El Gordo is a state employee, he can't be sent to mexcala. Besides I believe Chapala is responsible for mexcala, I believe and we don't have beat cops, sadly.

4. Hopefully, as of Dec 6 the Municipal Transito will be enforcing all types of safety regs. When I have an opportunity I'll bring up the ATVs and kid drivers.

5. Calling the english cop line wasn't planned. I planned the agenda with Hector.

6. What malecon Patrol?

it should read Chapala s NOT responsible for Mezcala which is part of the Poncitlan municipality..

No one raised their hands about the 2 cops but someone who has a Spanish name said that he hairless one extorted her so they may not be snow white either..

El gordo cannot be fired because of the union rules that make it difficult and on one has taken him on armed with witnesses , denuncias and so on ... so  ok but why has he not been transferred out of here years ago? He has been praying on people here for a very long time. The State guys should be rotated so they do not get too czy in an area or is that against union rules as well?

• 2 weeks later...

I was stopped today on the carretera from GDL.  1) I lost my front plate last week while at the beach 2) I didn't have my seatbelt on

Also, I just purchased a new wallet and missed moving my registration card over to my new wallet. The officer was very professional and friendly but because I didn't have the required papers in the car with me he said he needed to impound the car which I agreed was allowed by law.

Then I asked him if my wife could bring the registration papers to us, he said no but If I could get a photo of the card sent over the phone, that would suffice. Fortunately she was able to do just that and he let me go with just a ticket for the seat belt.

At no time did I feel like he was looking for a bribe and I never offered. 

A very pleasant police experience overall

I  was watching the meeting on the internet I could also see what people where posting.. as the audience was being ask if any of the cops had asked for mordida, someone wrote in Spanish "yes ..el pelon is the one who nailed me".. So the one without hair is probably not snow white..

BMH those officers were municipal transitos and they have no right to write tickets until Dec 6. So I doubt there was a problem with them. Perhaps mistaken identity. If not , I'd like to know about it and or LCS has a complaint form.

Archived