Chapala.com Webboard

Has anyone bought a car, or know about

elevator

There are several "curbers" selling used cars.   They find a nice looking used car from across the country and sell it usually without guarantee and without mechanical inspection.   Ergo, you would need the car inspected by a mechanic you know and trust.   They often have out of state plates so you need to know if they will be the ones obtaining same for you.   That plating process is done in Guadalajara, most get there by 5 am and spend the better part of the day.  In my opinion used cars in Mexico do not have a history of service maintenance and are driven hard and put away wet.

And if anyone suggests the tianguis in Guadalajara, well let's just say that in the opinion of most - not advisable.

I like visiting S/S Auto to see what they may have as often they will have something driven by an americano with a complete service record.   Possibly a good car still under warranty comes available.

Like anything else it depends on what you want to spend which is inversely proportional to quality.

22 hours ago, el bartman said:

There are several "curbers" selling used cars.   They find a nice looking used car from across the country and sell it usually without guarantee and without mechanical inspection.   Ergo, you would need the car inspected by a mechanic you know and trust.   They often have out of state plates so you need to know if they will be the ones obtaining same for you.   That plating process is done in Guadalajara, most get there by 5 am and spend the better part of the day.  In my opinion used cars in Mexico do not have a history of service maintenance and are driven hard and put away wet.

And if anyone suggests the tianguis in Guadalajara, well let's just say that in the opinion of most - not advisable.

I like visiting S/S Auto to see what they may have as often they will have something driven by an americano with a complete service record.   Possibly a good car still under warranty comes available.

Like anything else it depends on what you want to spend which is inversely proportional to quality.

Have known Rafael for over 15 years, and know that he brings his cars from another area (his family are in the car business as well), he legally plates them here in Jalisco for you, and is totally honest and above board. I would have had no hesitation in buying from him the past time I changed cars except he did not have what I was looking for.

I bought my 2010 Toyota Rav4 through S&S in Riberas. I have driven it now for 3 years, all over Mexico, and am very happy with it. I highly recommend S&S as a way of purchasing a good vehicle with a clear title and minimum hassles. They provide a great service to expats at a very reasonable price. 

If buying a used car, there is a NADA similar pricing guide for Mexican cars. S&S has one. With the peso near 20 to the USD, the new cars are the screaming bargains. S&S worked with the dealer so that I could put it on a US credit card and get airline miles (1) and not have to bring the $ down to my Mex bank and run afoul of the FBAR reporting rules. They charged me 1.25% to do this, a bargain, IMHO. 

Good info Tom.  As to the OP, Rafa is a friend of mine and I have several other friends who have bought from him and been quite satisfied.  He handles all the details of importing a car from another state.  The cars he brings in mostly from the Merida area have not been subjected to the bad Jalisco roads and tend to be in very good condition.  However look for one that has been garaged as the sun is hard on cars over there.

Tom is right about using the favorable exchange rate to get a good deal now on a new car.  The Mexican car prices do not fully reflect the depressed Peso versus the Dollar because the local cars are sold mainly to Mexicans and market conditions restrict how much the price is increased because of exchange rates.

Archived