Chapala.com Webboard

Mealie Meal - white corn grits

CHILLIN

Since we are living in the birthplace of corn, has anyone seen what Africans call Mealie Meal, coarsely ground corn flour? In Africa also called Maize meal/Mieliepap/Pap/Phutu. I have received my yogurt starter for Amsai Zulu yogurt. This combination is consumed by many three times a day - can be mixed with vegetables, fruits, cereal, or just on its own. Many believe that Amasi puts back in many enzymes and probiotics lost in the milk pasteurization process. The taste is supposed to be like between plain yogurt and liquid cottage cheese.

Even though Mexico is the birthplace of corn, what many of us know as 'cornmeal' isn't used here.

You'll probably be able to find coarse grain corn meal for polenta, though.  SL might carry the Bob's Red Mill brand.  That's what I'd look for.

PS: what are you going to do with that yogurt?  Are you planning to put the cornmeal in it?

I plan to put it on top of the porridge for breakfast with some fresh berries. Possibly in Atole as well. I see lots of corn (and wheat) grinders (molinos) on Mercado Libre. Maybe people are buying dried corn and then grinding it to feed chickens or livestock. It is almost corn harvest time in this part of the world. It has been a difficult season apparently. On a recent trip to Guadalajara, near the airport and Ejido farms, I saw a man at the side of the road selling a huge pile of dried corn on the cob. Maybe I will just get our housekeeper to order another kilo of fresh nixtamilized masa dough from Ixtlahuacan. At about 20 pesos a kilo, plus a small propina for her time, you really can't go wrong. The uncooked dough does not freeze well, but maybe OK for porridge or Atole.

This Amasi yogurt is also used as a marinade in many African dishes. It is stronger tasting than buttermilk, but does not take over the flavors. It is also an unusual culture because it does not require a heating pad or yogurt maker, the Masai just leave in on a windowsill in a special hollow gourd for a couple of days. If you don't use it all, it can be refrigerated for one week. Next time you are in town, give me call and can drop off a sample culture.

https://cookpad.com/us/search/amasi

3 hours ago, CHILLIN said:

I plan to put it on top of the porridge for breakfast with some fresh berries. Possibly in Atole as well. I see lots of corn (and wheat) grinders (molinos) on Mercado Libre. Maybe people are buying dried corn and then grinding it to feed chickens or livestock. It is almost corn harvest time in this part of the world. It has been a difficult season apparently. On a recent trip to Guadalajara, near the airport and Ejido farms, I saw a man at the side of the road selling a huge pile of dried corn on the cob. Maybe I will just get our housekeeper to order another kilo of fresh nixtamilized masa dough from Ixtlahuacan. At about 20 pesos a kilo, plus a small propina for her time, you really can't go wrong. The uncooked dough does not freeze well, but maybe OK for porridge or Atole.

This Amasi yogurt is also used as a marinade in many African dishes. It is stronger tasting than buttermilk, but does not take over the flavors. It is also an unusual culture because it does not require a heating pad or yogurt maker, the Masai just leave in on a windowsill in a special hollow gourd for a couple of days. If you don't use it all, it can be refrigerated for one week. Next time you are in town, give me call and can drop off a sample culture.

https://cookpad.com/us/search/amasi

The molinos are for grinding nixtamalized corn for tortillas, tamales, etc, not for grinding dried corn for chicken feed.

Archived