Chapala.com Webboard

Where can I ask this question?

cedros

I'm looking for a used Toyota or Nissan truck for my gardener. On marketplace on Facebook there are a number of really cheap ones-like free, $45, $78 etc. How can this be? I can't fine anyplace to ask this question.

You can ask here. I have often seen wrong prices on internet Mexico car/truck sites. Even scrapped trucks for parts are more than that. Sometimes, Mexico, a nation of backyard mechanics, buy a trashed Mexican proper registered paperwork vehicle, then buy a bunch of parts, up to engines, transmissions, body parts, usually from foreign plated trucks sold at bargain prices. Others just want to pry off the V.I.N. numbers, change the color to match the papers, and put the plates and paperwork on what was originally a foreign plated truck. This is probably way more than you want to get into, and is probably illegal, many of the parts  may have been stolen but - you asked! That is why it is tricky buying used vehicles in Mexico, especially work trucks. There is another thread I posted on about a mechanic called Pepe - he will find you an honest truck and look it over too.

Thanks for the helpful replies. I'm getting the picture now-you can't trust any of those for sure. Unstead buy one from a relative or a trusted neighbor. 

Archived