Chapala.com Webboard

Older style roof tiles

Mainecoons

For repair purposes I need to find the older style of roof tiles, the ones with more curvature.  All I''m finding around here at the moment are the newer, flatter style.  These fit poorly when used to fix broken roof tiles on older roofs.  Maybe some place in Chapala has the older type?  Or if you have any you don't need would be happy to buy them from you.

Gracias!

Related but off topic... I know I'm going to quote old prices from 2005 but would like to know what each tile costs today. Then, we had a choice of tiles with BOTH sides smooth or one side smooth and the other side rough. Smooth cost 4.5 pesos each and rough on one side cost 2.5 pesos each. We chose smooth because, when the tile is upside down and acting as a channel for the water, leaves and crud get caught on the rough surface and rot and create a lovely environment for mold. We had to buy a LOT of tiles for the construction so price would have made a difference. Never regretted the choice and the tiles, six years later, were as clean and pristine as the day they got laid on the roof. Just something to keep in mind.

Good tip, Ferret. I too have the smooth surface for the same reason. In my case, I let the architect choose, and he explained the reason for the smooth surface was both for looks and for what you explained above. The work was done in 2007-8 and I have no recollection of the cost or where the contractor got the tile.

Those tiles were sold in Ajijic but they were out when I try to buy some last December..  left town and now I am back..  wll look again and post it when I find them. They are made in Tlajamulco , I do not know where but it should not be too hard to find out where and they may be back in stock Lakeside if they still make them..

17 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

You're saying NO to a method used in Mexico for what, centuries? What about drainage pipes for cockroaches?

I can gaurantee you that bats and cockroaches were here well before curved roof tiles, and are likely to remain long after our species is gone.

Many of our neighbors in Chapala Haciendas have them and also Puerto Vallarta when we lived there. These are mostly older houses. I think they migrate somewhere, but when they are back, you can see clouds of thousands of bats at dusk, I don't know where they go to feed, but definetely seems to be Lakeside, around Ajijic. In the summer, when we have community pool parties, when they leave the poolside houses by the hundreds, some people are just afraid of bats, but the worst thing is when they leave the tiles, the first thing they do is urinate, like small little raindrops. We have to cover the food and get under umbrellas. One time in Puerto Vallarta, (I believe alcohol was involved, as usual in life's most embarrassing moments). I yelled, in my best Nosferatu accent "Fly, fly my children of the night, live, laugh and play!" cackle cackle cackle. My neighbor at the time was not impressed, the bats were from his roof tiles, and he removed them soon after.

Archived