Chapala.com Webboard

English Christian church services?

BAR

There is a denomination called the Christian Church, just as there is a denomination called the Baptist church, Lutheran church, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc.  I thought that's what the poster meant. Yes, all of the above are Christian, as in followers of Christ, but there is also a denomination by that name.

1 hour ago, Earl said:

There is a denomination called the Christian Church, just as there is a denomination called the Baptist church, Lutheran church, Presbyterian, Methodist, etc.  I thought that's what the poster meant. Yes, all of the above are Christian, as in followers of Christ, but there is also a denomination by that name.

Wikipedia: "Christian Church" is an ecclesiological term generally used by Protestants to refer to the whole group of people belonging to Christianity throughout the history of Christianity. In this understanding, "Christian Church" does not refer to a particular Christian denomination but to the body of all believers.

Mike, your wikipedia article was interesting but I am still perplexed, why would the OP go to Mexico and ask if there are any Christian churches in the area.  To me, it kind of rubs me the wrong way, he or she, goes to one of the largest Christian countries in the world, where they have a Christian church on nearly every plaza and especially in every barrio, and she/he asks if there are any Christian churches around here.  Maybe, the OP doesn't consider Roman Catholics as Christians even though they were mostly responsible for the creation of the Christian religion as we know it today and its basic doctrine.  Perhaps she/he was looking for English speaking services, but if that were the case, why wasn't it stated in the original query?  Mexicans may be Catholic, but they are some of the most religious, devout, and most Christ like people I have run across in this life being from North Carolina without all the hype and fanaticism.  Well, the good news is, is that there are all types of religious groups here.  And many have English services.  With all the proselytizing happening around these here parts, I used to wonder what happens when a Mormon missionary and Jehovah Witness missionary pass each other on the street.  Once I got to witness that very same occurrence on my street in Chapala.  Upon passing each other, they both tightly grasped there individual and unique bible or interpretation of God's word that they both proudly displayed in their hands and smiled and nodded to each other, and continued on their way.  I kept expecting a confrontation or an attempt to witness to each other, but no, they just smiled and continued on their own individual ways, clutching their holy books, on a mission to save Mexican souls from eternal hell fire.  Then, almost instantaneously, I could hear the ringing of the Capilla Carmel church bells, off in the distance, calling the faithful to Mass.

My bad, after clearly rereading the question I see that the OP was asking for an English Speaking Church service, boy, is it easy to get caught up in the subsequent comments.  But I still stand by my opinions on proselytizing in Mexico, please allow Mexico to be Mexico and to retain its unique and different culture than what is commonly found north of the border.  If Mexico suddenly became all Baptist or all Jehovah Witness, I would have to find a new country to live in!

8 hours ago, Earl said:

I tried Google with that denomination in the lake Chapala area, but had no results. Listing here might be helpful.

http://www.accesslakechapala.com/guide/chapala-living/churches-and-religions/

6 hours ago, dichosalocura said:

My bad, after clearly rereading the question I see that the OP was asking for an English Speaking Church service, boy, is it easy to get caught up in the subsequent comments.  But I still stand by my opinions on proselytizing in Mexico, please allow Mexico to be Mexico and to retain its unique and different culture than what is commonly found north of the border.  If Mexico suddenly became all Baptist or all Jehovah Witness, I would have to find a new country to live in!

Perhaps the OP will chime in.

Archived