Chapala.com Webboard

Wondering about US border crossing with US military presence?

Susy Wilson

Anyone care to explain why, if they are legitimate Asylum/Refugee seekers, and not just coming to place a burden on the US system, do they Not Cross at any of the many available ports of entry and make their case? Seems to me only those who are trying to enter for reasons that violate the US law would try to enter illegally, no? The law seems clear to grant asylum/refugee st6atus if they can show they qualify under these reasons:  Race, Religion, Nationality, Membership in a social group, Political opinions, and no other reasons are allowed by law.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
48 minutes ago, Hud said:

Anyone care to explain why, if they are legitimate Asylum/Refugee seekers, and not just coming to place a burden on the US system, do they Not Cross at any of the many available ports of entry and make their case? Seems to me only those who are trying to enter for reasons that violate the US law would try to enter illegally, no? The law seems clear to grant asylum/refugee st6atus if they can show they qualify under these reasons:  Race, Religion, Nationality, Membership in a social group, Political opinions, and no other reasons are allowed by law.

Your question seems to presume, for what ever reason, that the large caravan(s) have as their primary plan to cross illegally. I have not heard, except from maybe the orange one or Fox News, that this is their mission. What I have read many times is that seeking legal asylum IS their plan and that they know it will take quite a while to actually cross. Many, thousands, have already been granted and accepted legal asylum in Mexico. 

20 hours ago, AngusMactavish said:

They would if they could but they can't. The unmentionable orange guy is stonewalling most that even try by not allowing them to pass on the bridges to enter the port facilities.

https://www.voanews.com/a/endless-waiting-to-enter-us-at-southern-border/4659968.html

If your house was full, then what would you do? I'm sure that if you wanted to rent them rooms at the local hotels, they would appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, AngusMactavish said:

I answered your question and you rebut with a parable. There is a segment of society in the US that does not know about International Law or think they are above it, how about you?

The law Americans respect is the law of the USA. That "TRUMPS" all laws ! :D

22 hours ago, Hud said:

The current US administration has purposely stymied the review process at the border stations in order to frustrate and grind the process of asylum applications to a virtual standstill.  The administration can at any time increase the number of agents and judges at the border stations to process asylum seekers in a fair and timely manner.  They do not want to do this, that is not their agenda.  

5 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

The current US administration has purposely stymied the review process at the border stations in order to frustrate and grind the process of asylum applications to a virtual standstill.  The administration can at any time increase the number of agents and judges at the border stations to process asylum seekers in a fair and timely manner.  They do not want to do this, that is not their agenda.  

You need to check your facts, as what you say is NOT true. The US administration asked Congress last year for funds to employee 175 new immigration judges, for the backlog of over 800,000 applicants, and Congress funded 3. Basically, because that is all the Democrats would fund to secure their vote on the Budget.

The previous administration added a lot of "new" categories to the law (essentially making a "new" law, but only Congress can make laws) to allow more people to claim asylum. That was not legal, yet no one in power protested(like when the previous administration separated parents and children for 8 years and no one complained). The new administration has removed those "illegal" reasons from the process and is using the 5 reasons that are in the Law. Therefore, less people qualify under the actual Law that the President is sworn to enforce on his election(the current President is trying to take that oath seriously and do what he swore to do.). The new administration wants desperately to correct an underfunded and overly burdened immigration system, but too much money is made by the Elitists using the cheap labor of illegals and they control too much of the Congress, so Congress will never do its job and solve the problem. My best example for you was in the first 2 years of the previous administration, when the Democrats had more than enough votes to do what they wanted with Immigration, yet they could not get enough votes to pass anything on Immigration. This Republican Congress has never had enough votes to do anything, but they would have the same situation if they did have the votes. So, the administration is left to do the best it can with drug/human/illegal traffickers, with little to work with. It is sad that more people do not understand what is actually happening in the US Government. Many things are not what you read and hear.

Here's the administration speaking for itself in June 2018.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/393031-trump-rejects-calls-for-additional-immigration-judges-we-have-to-have

Trump spent much of his speech at the National Federation of Independent Business (NFIB) railing against illegal immigration and emphasizing the need to close the southern border. During an aside on the need for border security, Trump declared judges are ineffective in combatting illegal immigration.

“Ultimately, we have to have a real border, not judges,” Trump said.

“Thousands and thousands of judges they want to hire. Who are these people?” Trump continued. “When we vet a single federal judge it goes through a big process.”

The president appeared to be referencing calls from Republicans and Democrats for additional immigration judges to be dispatched to the border to handle the backlog of illegal entry cases and more quickly adjudicate asylum claims.

"Seriously, what country does this? They said ‘sir, we’d like to hire 5,000 or 6,000 more judges,” Trump continued. “Now can you imagine the graft that must take place?”

Am I imagining things, or is this turning into a big, fat, POLITICAL discussion???

Naah.  Couldn't be, could it?'

But since the glass is already broken, I have a question about Hud's statement:

" This Republican Congress has never had enough votes to do anything, but they would have the same situation if they did have the votes. So, the administration is left to do the best it can with drug/human/illegal traffickers, with little to work with. It is sad that more people do not understand what is actually happening in the US Government. Many things are not what you read and hear"

Since the Republicans held a majority of votes in BOTH houses of  Congress, are you claiming that the Republican POTUS wasn't  able to get anything done?  Seriously???

As far as I can determine, what's actually been happening  in the US Government lately would cause the U.S.Constitution to weep if it could. 

Many things are not what you read and hear.

Especially if your news source is Fox News or Breitbart or that festering garbage that the alt right wants those that are easy to sway to believe. NBC, CBS, ABC, NPR are news....real news! Anyone suggesting they aren't has a strange agenda indeed:/ These people are refugees leaving a situation that any of us could not tolerate. It is a humanitarian crisis regardless of what conspiracy theorists wants you to believe!

This thread was hijacked from the second post. Apparently no one here has been to the border or crossed in the last few days. It is a horrible situation:( I have first hand accounts from a variety of people that are there and it is not good. I was originally concerned for our trip to Mexico but these poor folks at the border are concerned for their very lives:/ My worries are nothing in comparison.

Based on news sources coming from Tijuana, it's a real mess.  Thousands of people without supplies are arriving and the citizens in general are unhappy about it.  Protests are happening, with a minority of people there supporting the migrant movement.  No matter what one's opinion of it, it's hard on Mexico and there's no entirely satisfactory way of dealing with it.  I understand that they are only able to process a very limited number of applicants daily, which means the migrants are in for a long stay or giving up.

The border is a bottleneck and it is gong to be a problem.. people should be processed fast.. accepted or turned down and sent back....but that is expensive and who is going to pay?   The US s sandbagging the immigrants and the Mexicans will end up losing their patience so it could get really nasty..

The big question remains: Who jump started this?  Who benefits?  I smell politics, to the max, but so far, no facts have been offered. One thing we do know is that the U.S.has been messing with Central American politics for a very long time, to the detriment of the citizens.  Perhaps it's inevitable that this would be the end result. When has any good come out of interfering with another country's government?

4 hours ago, johanson said:

I bet that this interesting topic will soon be locked, because we are beginning to talk politics. Be careful folks we are being watched B)

If the posters on this board are representative of the NOB electorate,  then you can imagine how much of a challenge it is to accomplish any meaningful change 

12 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Perfect post.

Yes, but...we are not representative, in that we are the ones who picked up and left the alleged security of the States, Canada or elsewhere and moved to a foreign country, many of whom were already of "the third age".😉

11 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

That is just words taken out of context and interpretation of what was said. That is not what was suggested in that presentation. However, I see that you are not interested in the truth, so that in itself

tells us a lot, no?

6 hours ago, gringal said:

Am I imagining things, or is this turning into a big, fat, POLITICAL discussion???

Naah.  Couldn't be, could it?'

But since the glass is already broken, I have a question about Hud's statement:

" This Republican Congress has never had enough votes to do anything, but they would have the same situation if they did have the votes. So, the administration is left to do the best it can with drug/human/illegal traffickers, with little to work with. It is sad that more people do not understand what is actually happening in the US Government. Many things are not what you read and hear"

Since the Republicans held a majority of votes in BOTH houses of  Congress, are you claiming that the Republican POTUS wasn't  able to get anything done?  Seriously???

As far as I can determine, what's actually been happening  in the US Government lately would cause the U.S.Constitution to weep if it could. 

The President does not control the Congress, The Presidency is a separate branch of government. Each has their own function and responsibilities. (I wish people knew more about how the US Government works).( Surely because Government was one of my undergraduate degrees does not make me the only knowledgeable person about its workings on this forum?) I would suggest that you really brush up on US Government before you make a statement like your last one that is impossible to defend. :(

41 minutes ago, Hud said:

That is just words taken out of context and interpretation of what was said. That is not what was suggested in that presentation. However, I see that you are not interested in the truth, so that in itself

tells us a lot, no?

It was Glorious Leader's own words.  Keep chuggin' that kool-aid.  

Hud, you missed my point entirely.  I am very aware of how the government works. The educational system I went through was very thorough on the subject.  Of course I know that the POTUS does not have the powers of a dictator.  The Constitution, among other things, gets in the way.

I'll try again:  If a Republican POTUS with a majority in both houses of Congress can't "get anything done", how do you explain the massive changes that have taken place, including the deficit expansion resulting from the tax reduction bill, just as a for instance?   Trump has managed to get many things done, including gifting Kavanaugh to the country. Best for me to stop there.🙄

Just now from "THE HILL" publication:

The Pentagon is planning to begin a draw down of troops at the southern border as soon as this week, the Army commander overseeing the mission told Politico on Monday.

Army Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan told the news outlet that the 5,800 active-duty troops sent to assist Customs and Border Protection at the U.S.-Mexico border should be home by Christmas. 

"Our end date right now is 15 December, and I've got no indications from anybody that we'll go beyond that," said Buchanan, who is overseeing the mission from Texas.

Buchanan said engineer and logistics troops, which make up the largest parts of the deployment, will begin returning home soon. 

Breaking news. https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/20/us/judge-denies-trump-asylum-policy.html

LOS ANGELES — A federal judge on Monday ordered the Trump administration to resume accepting asylum claims from migrants no matter where or how they entered the United States, dealing at least a temporary setback to the president’s attempt to clamp down on a huge wave of Central Americans crossing the border.

Judge Jon S. Tigar of the United States District Court in San Francisco issued a temporary restraining order that blocks the government from carrying out a new rule that denies protections to people who enter the country illegally. The order, which suspends the rule until the case is decided by the court, applies nationally.

Archived