Chapala.com Webboard

Wondering about US border crossing with US military presence?

Susy Wilson

Just wondering if anyone who has or will be crossing the US border either way in the last day or two or in the next few days would share their experience? From the news reports they aren't actually interacting at the crossings but if anyone has first hand knowledge I would be grateful if you would share it here.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The "Invaders" aren't scheduled to reach the border for another month or so (by foot) so as long as you are not a brown skinned undocumented Honduran heading north throwing dirt clods, you shouldn't be affected at all.

9 hours ago, pedro malo said:

The "Invaders" aren't scheduled to reach the border for another month or so (by foot) so as long as you are not a brown skinned undocumented Honduran heading north throwing dirt clods, you shouldn't be affected at all.

I wouldn't be too sure about what you posted, Pedro Malo.  The US government appears to be getting ahead of that schedule.  If it were me with plans to go across any USA/Mexican border, I'd check with the local news.  This was announced yesterday by many major news sources, including the NYTimes and CBS:
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-close-lanes-san-ysidro-and-otay-mesa

As was mentioned the Military has begun its presence at some border locations... mainly (I think!) in SE Texas area. And as was also mentioned the caravan(s) are a loooong way from the US border.

Not that it answers you question but I crossed last week at an obscure area in the state of Chihuahua... Ojinaga/Presidio Tx. Not a sign of any heightened presence there.

From Vox:

“The problem for Trump, though, is that the military won’t actually be able to participate in detaining or deporting any of the migrants the way the president likely wants. That’s because US law forbids them from physically detaining individuals at the border. 

So while the troops at the border will be armed, they will only legally be able to assist US border officials by doing things like helping transport border agents and providing emergency medical care to those who need it. The armed forces can also work to reinforce infrastructure around the border, like putting additional razor wire on border fences.

In other words, while it may be intended to look as if the US is preparing for a massive invasion of immigrants at the Southern border, the reality is that it’s mostly just sending backup logistical support to help border agents address the arrival of a few thousand migrants — around half of whom are girls and women — who have been traveling by foot for weeks over.

When they crossed the Mexican border 80 percent were young males.  They have been using the tactic of sending the women and children in first.  Don't be misled by this.  This group is mostly young males and the Mexican government has confirmed their ranks do include criminals and gang members.

Despite that, Mexico has made a very generous offer to take these folks in.  Which has been largely refused.  Are they really asylum seekers or economic refugees?  Why have the numbers doubled or tripled in Mexico?  A lot of tough questions here.

Look behind the emotionalism and ask yourselves who is sponsoring this and why.  And also ask yourselves why the U.S., by far the most generous nation on earth when it comes to immigration, should be saddled with this responsibility?  Where are the other nations, such as Canada, who should be volunteering to take these folks in?  The silence is deafening beyond Mexico.

The people showing up at the border already got transportation there.  From whom and why?  What is the real agenda?  

I am proud that my wife and I and our friends scrupulously observe Mexico's immigration laws and we appreciate reciprocity in this matter.

4 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

When they crossed the Mexican border 80 percent were young males.  They have been using the tactic of sending the women and children in first.  Don't be misled by this.  This group is mostly young males and the Mexican government has confirmed their ranks do include criminals and gang members.

Look behind the emotionalism and ask yourselves who is sponsoring this and why.  

I will look behind the emotionalism if you look behind the motives for the ginned up anti-immigrant hysteria. Why are the troops in TX when there are already refugees at the CA border? Even if there are some “criminals and gang members” in the caravan they are not an invading army. 

Let's keep the politics out of this.  Please edit your post to do so.

Let's also note they illegally entered Mexico and did property damage and injuries in doing so.

Plenty of reports from credible sources.  Try reading them.  Things are not as they are being presented by the biased U.S. media.  You are correct about the troop movements being largely symbolic.  Now would you care to address the other questions I raised?

3000 people accepted Mexico offer for asylum and several hundreds may be in the thousand now went back while still n CHiapas. People who took the asylum offer have to stay in CHiapas for 45 days while the paperwork is processed and there are lots of women and kids .. There were very few that were criminals and some of those were shipped back to Honduras. That was on the first caravan, of course now there are 4 and each caravan is different there is one from Guatemala as well. 

By the way 40 000 farmers from Guatemala enter Honduras every year to harvest coffee and then go back to Guatemala.. the borders down there are way more fluid that we think.. The Mexican border is also very open.. the press concentrate on the entry ponts but when I spent time in the jungle last year I can tell you that I saw zip lines , that get chopped down and rebuilt pretty quickly and coyotes on the Mexican side are every few hundred yards waiting for groups to cross the river. When I went to Guatemala via the river  via Bethel I waited 2 or 3 hours in the middle of nowhere to get a ride to Flores and there were about 30 gang members with wives and kids waiting for the coyote.. They do not need to get caught in the caravan, those guys have the network to cross without any help from the caravan.

Maincoon I have lots of contacts down there and the damge was minimal and the criminals were also minimal in the first 2 caravans,, As I said the criminals are not stupid they have their own network and know that the people from the caravan are being checked.

There have been various very non-specific allegations that this caravan was encouraged and given financial aid by some entity with an agenda, but so far, NOBODY has named the supporters and/or their motivation for doing this.  My curiosity is piqued.  Anyone actually have any facts here?  Rumors are rife.  How to get thousands of people to embark on a difficult journey when it's well known that the UN-welcome mat awaits them at the border? They supposedly have their own social media and communicate with one another on a regular basis.  What's the answer?  Who wants this disastrous scenario for Mexico and/or the U.S., and why?

Those are very good questions.  As to why they embark, clearly many of them hope to better their lives.  Are they being used by other to further a different agenda?  Statements from their own governments suggest this but who knows how honest those statements are.

I don't fault Mexico.  They did try to prevent the illegal entry and they did sustain some injury and property damage in doing so.  They have been more than generous as a country and a people to the point there is some pretty tough criticism within Mexico of spending resources on illegal immigrants when so many here are in distress.

BTW Xena you may want to consider the definition of invasion, only one of which meaning involves military action:

invasionnoun [ C or U ] 
UK  /ɪnˈveɪ.ʒən/ US  /ɪnˈveɪ.ʒən/

B2 an occasion when an army or country uses force to enter and takecontrol of another country:

They were planning to mount an invasion of the north of the country.

C2 an occasion when a large number of people or things come to aplace in an annoying and unwanted way:

the annual invasion of foreign tourists

C2 an action or process that affects someone's life in an unpleasantand unwanted way:

gringal there is an activist in the capital of Honduras who has been helping migrants for years and came up with the idea for them to leave in a caravan for their own protection and to cut out the price of the coyote. Less than 1000 people got together to leave and then the number dropped down to a few hundred but the news hit the social networks and it got out of hand.. I believe some people here and there help them out but I do not believe there is a main drive behind the whole thing, I think it is a ground movement fired by the social networks.

I would think the the Human Rights people who are all over Chiapas would also be staying pretty close to what is gong on and they have been quiet so far. They are too busy with the national refugies from the various conflicts in the highlands.

Out od thousands of people you will always have many bad apples..In the first caravan they found very few that had criminal records in their own country.. That was checked when they got to Pijijiapan, I kind of remembber that the number of known criminal was 6.. then I am sure there are more little guys but the number was pretty low. 

I lost interest and did not check the following caravans and if the bad news people think they will go through without paying they may have joined them.. do not know and I do not think anyone knows.

I know quite a few reporters in Chiapas and none of them are telling me of a wave of bad guys coming in..but who knows.. that is the point no one knows so everyone choses to think whatever  they want.

There is no disatrous situation in Mexico, migrants go through by the hundred if not thousands on a dialy basis. You are somewhat isolated from the situation here but just go down to the border and see for yourself... Go to Arriaga and check the train yard.. There are  hundreds of people living in empty railroad cars and campng out waiting for the train to leave.. The only thing new is that the migrants got smart and figured that if they got publicity they would be safer but the train has been leaving  with people on the roofs for a very long time. Several movies have been made about the Bestia as they call it and I see it first hand when I go to the beach down there.

As far as nvasion.. Mexico lost California because of the invasion of the Gold Rush so history repeats itself... The vineyard I worked for in Napa was a Mexican grant.. It was originally owned by Mexicans and Mexco and so was most of california so calmed down everyone things come and life goes on.

By the way everything is possible , someone or an organizaton could be behind the caravan but I doubt it.. it is more like the Gold Rush

On November 13, 2018 at 7:32 AM, More Liana said:

I wouldn't be too sure about what you posted, Pedro Malo.  The US government appears to be getting ahead of that schedule.  If it were me with plans to go across any USA/Mexican border, I'd check with the local news.  This was announced yesterday by many major news sources, including the NYTimes and CBS:
https://www.cbp.gov/newsroom/local-media-release/cbp-close-lanes-san-ysidro-and-otay-mesa

Your right More Liana.  Telemundo reports that many have arrived in Tijuana today/yesterday and are being rejected by some of the local population while others offering support.  Think there is fear that Tijuana will become their true end point and a burden on the city.

Hope you realize my post was mostly tongue in cheek.

1 hour ago, bmh said:

As far as nvasion.. Mexico lost California because of the invasion of the Gold Rush so history repeats itself... The vineyard I worked for in Napa was a Mexican grant.. It was originally owned by Mexicans and Mexco and so was most of california so calmed down everyone things come and life goes on.

By the way everything is possible , someone or an organizaton could be behind the caravan but I doubt it.. it is more like the Gold Rush

California along with half of Mexico's landmass was stolen for the US the year before the great "Gold Rush" of 1849.  No doubt that the finding of gold factored into the theft.  That gold paid for the United States' industrial/economic explosion and advancement.  Mexicans in possession of the most valuable lands were forced off and if they refused to leave, were burned out and killed.  There are thousands of documented accounts of this.  Along the southern border, the Texas Rangers were formed just for this purpose as a paramilitary force to remove "stubborn"  Mexican landowners.  Thousands were murdered and raped in the second of America's "Ethnic Cleansing's". 

3 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

Let's keep the politics out of this.  Please edit your post to do so.

Let's also note they illegally entered Mexico and did property damage and injuries in doing so.

Plenty of reports from credible sources.  Try reading them.  Things are not as they are being presented by the biased U.S. media.  You are correct about the troop movements being largely symbolic.  Now would you care to address the other questions I raised?

Thank you for giving me the opportunity to edit my own post.

Others have responded effectively to questions you raised. I do read reports from multiple sources. I have a feeling that the ones you consider reliable are not the same I would so consider. You call the troop movement “largely symbolic.” I call it a stunt — a very expensive stunt that is unfair to our troops and their families. 

No matter how much effort we put into keeping it non-political, it is, in fact, a polarizing issue...made so by politicians themselves. I've read various media sources and concluded that no matter who you choose to believe, it's a hopeless mess at this point which reflects credit on none of the participants.  Mexico is suffering the brunt of it right now in a true "damned if you do; damned if you don't" situation with regard to how to the treat the migrants.  The answer? Pick one.  I can't.

Archived