Chapala.com Webboard

US FM station broadast from Ajijic at FM 107.1

johanson

The FM low power repeater station is available again on your FM radio at 107.1. This legal, and very weak FM transmitter is repeating Boston's NPR FM radio station with the call sign of WBUR.  Because this is a legal repeater station, the signal is very very weak, and although it comes in well in central Ajijic, it gets weaker as you pass Wally Mart heading east or going over and down the hill of the West side of Ajijic. Oh and because the source of this signal is the internet, should the internet be down, the station will go down as well; sometimes for only a few seconds because of streaming problems and sometimes for much longer.

I think this is the third year this signal has been available during the snowbird season. I met the gentleman offering this service and although I forget his name. I would like to again say THANK YOU.

In the states I can operate a repeater station without a license if it is one watt or below and I can rebroadcast whatever. Down here, if you wish to have a non licensed repeater without a license it too much be under a certain wattage.

A radio station on the other hand instead of having one watt will have maybe 10,000 watts and must be licensed and can be listened to over large distances.

This signal is legal because it is not a radio station but a weak repeater and therefore does not need to be licensed.

Archived