Chapala.com Webboard

TOWN HALL MEETING NOVEMBER 16 2018

I can only guess how Chapala administration feels about all this activism. 

Gringal has it right. If you move to foreign places learn how "things" are done. Understand the culture and try to adjust , embrace it and learn how to live within. If you cannot, it is probably better not to move in the first place.

"Better" life means different thing among people.

We had these meetings before. Honestly, (in my opinion) they are done to make us feel better...to calm us down. To get it off our chest. "They" lived here much longer then "us' and  the issues we will raise are not new. Unfortunately  the people "we" will be talking to have their bosses and they will only do what they will do. If boss suggests the bridge to Jesus it will be a priority over any Ajijic sidewalk.  In some instances "the bosses" are harsh and not flexible. That is a fact. As always we can suggest but not demand.

I think the Harry and Hector moderation should be positive for both sides.  Thanks Harry.

Accountability in Mexican system is not the same as where we came from ....and if we try to change it....well, good luck.

Look around you there is so much to enjoy.

Cheers.:)

tequila1.jpg

1 hour ago, HarryB said:

Remember we have a new party in charge, They are trying to establish their credibility and ultimately re election.

And they were left a messed up and looted municipio so they have had to play catch up and crisis management from day one. 

The important thing for them to remember, Harry, is Rome was built in a day and they need to focus on the most critical basic services first, those related to sanitation and infrastructure, and get those things functioning first.  If they try to do too much at once they'll end up just constantly slapping band aids on things.

I for one wish them all the best.  Just the attitudes we see now are a refreshing change.

6 hours ago, suegarn said:

Okay, then let's address the terrible condition of roads and sidewalks.  That affects more people, causing serious injuries, than worrying about mordida and crooked transitos.

And, when you are the mayor you can make the meetings about anything you want. Till then the poor guy thinks he is responding to a major issue being much talked about and of major importance to the foreigners.

One thing as a time, people who were complaining about mordida and corruption from the police and local transitos, go for it.  TO me the roads , the traffic, the sewers and lack of, the building on the hills which will increase the current infrastructure problems of the town are more important but I guess we will have more meetings about that when we know what is really gong on, hopefully there will be time to do something about it...

My personal perception is the traffic cop corruption problem has decreased over time.  However, I don't know if that is also true for those driving vehicles with foreign plates.  For us, this problem pretty  much went away when we switched to a Mexican plated car. 

Fat boy did try to pull one on me a few months back but when he saw all my paperwork was in order and I politely explained to him why what I did was legal, he backed off.  It was a friendly and non threatening encounter.  

What I do know is there are more than enough real traffic violations going on around here, particularly during the weekends when the Tapatios roll in, to give every cop a full time job of writing them up.  The few transitos we have would drop from exhaustion if they even went after the most blatant stuff like running traffic lights, passing on the right, speeding, etc.

The current uproar is because the mordida demands have gone from a few hundred to a few thousand pesos. In my book a demand for even one peso is a crime.

If Chapala can get their "Municipal Transitos" certified to write tickets perhaps we can get these weekend speed demons controlled. In the past, the excuse has been that the authorities don't want to hurt tourism. WE have to convince the authorities that these characters are not tourists, not spending money ,but, dangerous to the tourists we want with their drunkenness, trash, late night noise, graffiti, etc. 

I don't think this town hall is needed if you only got 5 people responding. The municipal transitos cannot really do anything until after the city council approves the traffic laws, scheduled for December 6th, allowing the municipal transitos to actually issue traffic tickets. Right now, they can't.

If there are any complaints about transitios, they have to be directed to the State of Jalisco transitos, who haven't been invited to the meeting, and don't need to since they're only going to be in control for another few weeks.

In other words, this is a meeting without a reason. What's the point here? 

14 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

What I do know is there are more than enough real traffic violations going on around here, particularly during the weekends when the Tapatios roll in, to give every cop a full time job of writing them up.  The few transitos we have would drop from exhaustion if they even went after the most blatant stuff like running traffic lights, passing on the right, speeding, etc.

I agree and if they would ticket all these 'real traffic violations' and I don't want to hear how they don't have any money the coffers would hopefully be filled providing nobody stole it.  

Archived