Chapala.com Webboard

TOWN HALL MEETING NOVEMBER 16 2018

TOWN HALL MEETING: This will be the first Town Hall meeting by the new Administration, especially geared for Gringos. The Municipal de Chapala urges you to attend this meeting which was coordinated in direct response to the outcry of complaints about the corruption, mordidas, extortion and intimidation from the traffic officers. 
Hosting this meeting will be:
* Comandante del municipal de Chapala Transito - Gerardo Mejia Bautista 
* Director de Policía de Seguridad Público - Amador Bacena Pizon
* Oficial Mayor de City Services - Sergio Gutierrez Tejada 
* Expat Liaison - Hector España Ramos
Intentions of the meeting:
The Municipal Government of Chapala, through Hector España, is inviting you to attend a Town Hall meeting with the purpose of updating the expat community on the Transito Police concerns and subsequent actions implemented by our authorities. The new administration is staunch in its conviction to govern with transparency and exemplify a new leadership, end rumors, update community and make a change. 
This is not to be missed. There will be vital and important information shared, as well as unexpected actions taken. If you have questions, doubts or concerns this will be an opportunity for them to be addressed. This is not a political gathering, but rather a venue for the Gringo community to have a voice and to be informed.
The meeting will be conducted in English and/or with translator. 
When and where:
Friday, November 16th @ 3:30 pm. Lake Chapala Society.

You called. They answered. So SHOW UP or SHUT UP.

46053364_10156415720457702_4960335297259765760_n.jpg

12 hours ago, HarryB said:

I'd suggest that questions be written on 3x5 cards so that the concerns be addressed in order of submissions. Also, this will avoid answering the same questions over and over

This would also prevent the rambling that is more gripe session or lecture than a question. 

1 hour ago, Mainecoons said:

This is only about the transito problem?

Let's hope so.

IMO, it might be more useful to have a session called "how things work in Mexico" for newcomers . Seriously.  When I took Warren Hardy's Spanish intensive three week, all day class in San Miguel de Allende,  Warren started the first day with a very long talk about exactly that: the differences in the culture here, right down to a worker's reluctance to say "no" when he or she has a family or other problem, so he or she simply doesn't show up and doesn't call, either. He covered many other things, as well.  It saved me a lot of puzzlement and headaches in the years that followed.  Despite any appearances, this society is nothing like the U.S.A. and it will never be.  Just as well, too. I abandoned the word "should" at some  point along the way.

It would be useful to tell people what to do when a mordida is suggested, subtly or otherwise.

22 minutes ago, tomgates said:

Will the proposed large housing project in upper Ajijic be discussed?

The question is what business does a non-Mexican-citizen group of expats have protesting a development in Mexico? The one in La Floresta was started in spite of La Floresta rules, so it's a different kind of situation.

I wonder how it would go over if a group of Mexican green card holders in California were protesting a proposed project there?

Gringal there are several such courses available through various agencies and businesses. Those asked to be present are specifically related to this issue. Other issues will be dealt in other meetings.

Not to hijack the thread, but, all residents have a right to influence their quality of life. Their rights are guaranteed by the mexican constitution, as I have reported ad nauseum!

Didn't hear about a meeting. I didn't see it advertised and I wasn't invited. I'll check with Hector and see if he knows anything about it........ Hector doesn't know about any other meeting for the community, and he should if anyone. Do you have any details who, where, 

See this is exactly the purpose of the community liaison---- to shortstop rumors. Was there a meeting or wasn't there. Give us something to go on ?

I believe that Colibri is referring to the meeting they held for Riberas residents, which was held in Chapala.  Harry, do you know if they're planning a general meeting to discuss the issues in Ajijic re: garbage pickup, shoddy roads and sidewalks, traffic lights not functioning, etc?

6 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Didn't hear about a meeting. I didn't see it advertised and I wasn't invited. I'll check with Hector and see if he knows anything about it........ Hector doesn't know about any other meeting for the community, and he should if anyone. Do you have any details who, where, 

See this is exactly the purpose of the community liaison---- to shortstop rumors. Was there a meeting or wasn't there. Give us something to go on ?

All I know/heard HarryB is that it was on November 5th, 2pm at the Casa de la Cultura, sponsored by the new Presidente..  Sorry I don't have more than that.

3 minutes ago, .Colibri. said:

All I know/heard HarryB is that it was on November 5th, 2pm at the Casa de la Cultura, sponsored by the new Presidente..  Sorry I don't have more than that.

The November 5th meeting was for RIBERAS RESIDENTS ONLY to discuss problems pertaining to RIBERAS ONLY.

Hector is trying to address the issues one at a time . Despite all the angst about the traffic police, when he, Dale Palfrey, and I asked for complaint letters, all he got was five.

I spoke with Juan Ramon this morning and he is aware of the failures to pickup trash. He knew the locations I gave him and more. He has spoken to the general secretary about the issue and the general secretary has taken the problem to Moy. The excuse the company is using is that they don't have gas for the trucks.

9 minutes ago, .Colibri. said:

And....  What came of it?

I believe it was primarily focused on Riberas sewers being installed and routed to the San Antonio lagoon which may be expanded to handle it. For now it was just left as "we will look into it and get back to you".. 

49 minutes ago, HarryB said:

Hector is trying to address the issues one at a time . Despite all the angst about the traffic police, when he, Dale Palfrey, and I asked for complaint letters, all he got was five.

I spoke with Juan Ramon this morning and he is aware of the failures to pickup trash. He knew the locations I gave him and more. He has spoken to the general secretary about the issue and the general secretary has taken the problem to Moy. The excuse the company is using is that they don't have gas for the trucks.

What about the other issues.....hazardous roads and sidewalks, traffic lights not functioning, and I'm sure there are other issues that Ajijic residents would like to discuss at a Town Hall meeting.

12 minutes ago, suegarn said:

What about the other issues.....hazardous roads and sidewalks, traffic lights not functioning, and I'm sure there are other issues that Ajijic residents would like to discuss at a Town Hall meeting.

Hector is trying to address the issues one at a time .” HarryB

As has been stated, we all have the right to try to make the place we live in better in any way we see fit.  Keep in mind that the normal first reaction that locals have to being criticized (even if the criticism was meant to be a constructive suggestion) by gringos is to ignore it, at best.  Most of us come from cultures where we think that if something could be better, or cleaner, or prettier, or longer lasting, or more efficient, etc. then we work to make it so.  In Latin America (not just Mexico) the general feeling is to only make things good enough that they continue to work that way until the problem needs to addressed again in the future (near or distant.)  Also try to remember that the normal reaction for locals, when asked for help, is to do so willingly.  So please try to describe a problem or situation calmly and non-judgmentally and then ask for help to make it better.  The resolution you might want to achieve will likely not happen exactly how you envisioned it but progress can probably be made.  Alan

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Hector is trying to address the issues one at a time .” HarryB

Okay, then let's address the terrible condition of roads and sidewalks.  That affects more people, causing serious injuries, than worrying about mordida and crooked transitos.

Archived