Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for someone who can do custom sheet metal/fiberglass work.

Eric Blair

Looking for Joco area.

I have a 1995 Ford Windstar and want to convert it to a semi-camper. One thing I want to do is raise the roof. I have seen several pictures and am pretty sure it can be done by someone "local."

I asked for Joco area because I know the price will be way less than Ajijic.

Thanks.

Fiberglass is heavy, and unless it is the more much expensive Vinylester, will absorb water, especially body putty. A 1995 Ford Windstar is already underpowered. What use is a camper that can't go up a mountain?

There are two brothers who live/work at the back of their family's tile store just as you enter Jocotepec. They restore classic cars and trucks from California, and then resell them. They speak excellent English and know what they are doing. They may, or may not be in town right now.

There are two, I would say legendary mechanics. These are the mechanics other mechanics go to when they are stumped. One is Arturo in Ixtlahuacan. He has worked on boats, airplanes, helicopters and race cars. He has a huge colllection of specialized tools. Unfortunately, his shop is small, and probably can't fit a motorhome. The other is a mechanic, who also does excellent bodywork, using Dupont quality products. His name is Pepe, and he works in a large shop near Soriana. The owner (or partner?) is Luis, who speaks perfect English. Pepe does not speak much English, but enough to get by. The number of the shop is 765-3618 (Luis) or Pepe, cell 331-142-9622. I figure Pepe must have a photographic memory and seems to know every scrapyard, auto recycler, in Guadalajara. Used, good quality parts will save you a lot of money, especially RV parts.

Still lots of good, safe places to RV in Mexico, especially Northeast of San Luis Potosi.

Archived