Chapala.com Webboard

Blood Donation Needed

Zeb

We are in need of a blood donation for my spouse who is quite ill.  The requirements from the blood banks are that the person be younger than 65, taking no medications and in good health. These requirements are not the same in the US.  They are more stringent. 

I realize our community is heavily populated by older people who will not meet these requirements, however, there may be younger relatives or hired help who would be glad to do this.  We would pay for the transportation to and from the hospital in Guadalajara. 

ZEB, we had a friend in the same situation (everyone she knew was over the age limit or on medication).  We were given advice at the hospital in Guadalajara where she was admitted to tell her Doctor/s that she was having trouble locating donors.  The next thing we knew, staff, nurses, including her doctor donated blood in her name at the hospital.  It was an incredible kindness and it happened relatively quickly.  Just a suggestion...

Was in same situation earlier this year.

My doctor managed to sort it with the hospital some how.

Also ask hospital staff. Cleaners nurses etc. They might have friends or contacts. 

Also facebook might be an option, one of the local gringo sites. Beg borrow barter or gingoes in ajijic, They are a younger crowd.insidelakeside board helped out a friend of mine last year as well.

Good luck.

5 hours ago, HarryB said:

what blood type? I'll ask Juan Ramon to facebook the community. The red cross and lcs maintain donor lists. Have you checked them?

Blood Type is O+.  It is my understanding they will accept other blood types, the idea being to keep the supply replenished for the hospital.     I did not know Red Corss and LCS had donor lists.  Thank you for that information.

On 11/11/2018 at 9:24 AM, HarryB said:

what blood type? I'll ask Juan Ramon to facebook the community. The red cross and lcs maintain donor lists. Have you checked them?

LCS does not have a blood donor list but refers folks to Cruz Roja.  The lists LCS used to have were provided by Cruz Roja but were not kept updated.

23 hours ago, Zeb said:

What are charros?

Here's a longer explanation for you.  Charros have a long and fascinating history in Mexico, and charrería (the sport) is practiced for the most part by wealthy "gentlemen cowboys".  In that respect, it's similar to polo in other countries.  

The women, who ride not only sidesaddle but at breakneck speed and are part of many charreadas (charro events), are called escaramuzas--the word 'escaramuza' means skirmish, and boy do they.

Read here:  https://mexicocooks.typepad.com/mexico_cooks/2007/10/charros-and-cha.html

On 11/12/2018 at 5:56 AM, oregontochapala said:

I can't donate blood, Zeb, but may I bring you an assortment of homemade soup? It's healthy, hearty and frozen in pint containers, so you can heat and eat. I can also bring you more once your wife is back home. Let me know; I'd love to do this for you and your spouse.

Wow!  What a wonderful offer.  We would love that.  I will send you a PM assuming you have it set up.

Archived