Chapala.com Webboard

Ajijic Malecon Repairs

HarryB

Bob How of the other board is spearheading an effort to repair the Ajijic malecon benches. Bob is raising the money for the materials. Hector and I will buy the materials where we can get a discount. The municipality will provide the labor. If we get enough we possibly could do the bridges too.

• 4 weeks later...

Bumping this up.  While I don't post on TOB I love our malecon and have made a contribution.

If you want to contribute to the repair of the benches on the Ajijic malecon you can contact Bob Howe directly at email

bhowe11 (at) hotmail.com

Bob has met with Harry and Hector and has gotten estimates on materials...roughly 800 - 1400 pesos per bench though they will try to reuse salvageable slats, screws, bolts, etc.  Hector said if the community buys the materials, the city will provide the labor.  

Did you know there are 67 benches on the Ajijic malecon?!?!!!!

Bob can take your payment in cash at his home in Centro Ajijic or you can pay him via his PayPal account (ask him for details).   

This was Bob's post yesterday...

UPDATE: I have collected $28,800 pesos of the $35,800 pesos pledged and have plans in place to collect the remaining.

The muni workers under Harry/Hector's direction will start removing broken wooden slats, repairing any bent metal crossbeams and painting the metal legs. The existing/replacement wooden slats will be stained and sealed. We will only give the money directly to the material suppliers as needed.

This is the link to the entire thread...

http://www.insidelakeside.com/t20812-ajijic-malecon-bench-project

Kudos to Bob Howe for taking on this project.  It was badly needed.

However,  isn't it a shame private citizens had to be called on to take care of what is clearly the responsibility of the government?  Let's hope the incoming Powers That Be get the budget priorities straight, and that the money gets spent for the benefit of "the people". Snort.😣

I still call it a shame, even though the muni is contributing the labor, per Bob's post on the subject:

" Harry has confirmed that the Muni will supply all the labor to do this work if we can supply the materials. I will get the Muni to also quote on what they feel the materials will cost per bench as they can probably get better deals that me. "

Now I'm wondering if they're going to ask the residents for money to fix the many, many potholes? Double snort.😣😣

This is an ongoing difference of opinion. Some people think citizens should not ever pay for repairs while others say they want something done and just get it done. Either way, in Ajijic at least everyone will have sturdy, attractive benches to sit on while complaining about the ill-run government. 

7 minutes ago, Xena said:

This is an ongoing difference of opinion. Some people think citizens should not ever pay for repairs while others say they want something done and just get it done. Either way, in Ajijic at least everyone will have sturdy, attractive benches to sit on while complaining about the ill-run government. 

How about this:  Yes, I think the administration "should" pay for repairs for public streets, parks, etc., but since "should" did not come through, I contributed to the "just get it done" project.  I imagine I have company there.

28 minutes ago, gringal said:

How about this:  Yes, I think the administration "should" pay for repairs for public streets, parks, etc., but since "should" did not come through, I contributed to the "just get it done" project.  I imagine I have company there.

And sometimes the twain does meet! 

Very happy to hear that volunteer funds will be used to fund this project, I also am willing to participate in the funding. What is sickening is the fact that many streets in San Antonio and other villages have been repaired, but only minimal work needs to be done to maintain these streets   but once the work is done they are forgotten until they totally self destruct. What a shame, it  would only cost a little to keep them up. Their heart is in the rite place, but the brain isn't.

2 hours ago, Confused said:

Very happy to hear that volunteer funds will be used to fund this project, I also am willing to participate in the funding. What is sickening is the fact that many streets in San Antonio and other villages have been repaired, but only minimal work needs to be done to maintain these streets   but once the work is done they are forgotten until they totally self destruct. What a shame, it  would only cost a little to keep them up. Their heart is in the rite place, but the brain isn't.

If one drives ‘throughout’ Mexico, one sees the same thing. It is less of a brain thing and more of a systemic problem. Most NOB road engineers know that the ‘secret’ to a good road is a good base. This secret is not know SOB, or better said it probably is known but has not found its way to actual implementation. Until the Mexican public demands it, this will not change.... in our lifetime anyway.

I'll work on getting the boards shortened to match the metal frames. Sounds simple.

In a perfect world, I have a long list of things government should do. I see the same needed in the US and Canada. However, that is NEVER going to happen.This municipal government , at this moment in time, has been dealt a very bad hand. They are doing their best to survive. A year from now I might not be so willing to help. That's what happened when the Degollado admin turned out to be crooks just like the rest.Just now I'd like to help them and show support.

Besides, my wife uses those benches.

Archived