Chapala.com Webboard

Zoning approved for construction on Tepalo and LOTS more

Taaffe

On 11/26/2018 at 12:54 PM, Dostortas said:

Try enjoying retirement and life south of the border and don’t try to save the world.  

So once one is retired, they should just no longer care about anything beyond their own little life, nor bother themselves to work towards the betterment of the community they live in, or the planet in general? Nice attitude.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/26/2018 at 8:57 AM, Mainecoons said:

I hope Moises has already asked the Alfaro administration to fully investigate every aspect of the Degollado administration including under the table deals like apparently what has happened with Tepalo.  It is long past the time for a thorough house cleaning of the Chapala municipal government.  There has been something seriously wrong with this government for quite some time.  Remember the parking meter "deal?"  How about that Bridge to Jesus?  How about that totally inappropriate hotel at the end of Independencia? It just goes on and on.

It is no secret among the developers and real estate speculators locally that the game here is play for pay.  

I do think the focus should be on stopping development on the mountain sides, a clear hazard to the community, as opposed to the flat area cited above.  Like it or not, people keep coming here and buying.  If we are able to stop just the very worst of it like this Tepalo deal, that is something to strive for.

Unfortunately Degollado is a Regidor in the present government. His name is all over these illegal deals.

List names of people involved in granting the permissions so we know who the traitors are.  We should not hire them nor any of their family members nor patronize any family businesses.  Nobody takes responsibility and there are always excuses because nothing ever happens.  Lets make people think twice before doing bad things.

from the expat organizing committee:

Dear Lakeside Expat Friend/s,

It's time to take action to thwart an illegal construction project, which if built will impact every one of us who enjoys living at the Lakeside communities, It will forever change our beloved landscape as we look to the hills, not to mention wreak environmental havoc on this sacred place.  IT'S NOT A RUMOR ANY LONGER!

Chimalli Axixic

The Chimalli (from Nahuatl:Shield)  was the traditional defensive armament of the indigenous states of Mesoamerica. These shields varied in design and purpose: in this case the purpose of using this word, as chosen by the Organizing Committee (comprised of Lakeside Mexicans and members of the expat community), is our call "to shield" the hillside above Ajijic from further development.  Unless we rise up together and quickly stop it, it will be slated for a major construction project comprising some 30 hectares. 

What many of us heard was only a rumor about the Tepalo facing a destructive facelift with a massive development project is already in the works, (albeit illegally).

This email has a twofold purpose:

1.       To announce an initial meeting for the purpose of organizing action committees.  The meeting is slated for Saturday, December 8 (one week from today) at 4:00 pm at the Cultural Center on the Plaza of Ajijic. 
2.       To solicit your financial support for the purpose of hiring an environmental lawyer from Mexico City (who has already been vetted by the Organizing Committee). In fact, all members of the committee chipped in to raise $4,000 pesos to open an account at Bancomer on the Plaza.  Initially, we need to raise a total of $25,000 pesos for our lawyer to begin his work of saving the hillside and fighting the illegal action.  It is estimated that the work will cost between $100,000 to $200,000 pesos.

if you can make a contribution, please go to Bancomer on the Ajijic Plaza and make your deposit into account # 0468878021. 

The sooner we raise the money, the better, as time is of the essence. With the holiday season soon upon us, we can't afford to wait. 

More information will of course follow but because of the urgency of this matter, I am sending this brief notice out now and will be happy to respond to any of your concerns or questions. 

Sincerely, 

Tim Boeve, expat Secretary
Chimalli Axixic Organizing Committee 

CC: Lina Doyle, Dee Dee Camhi, Azucena Campos, Doug Reid (some members of the Organizing Committee)

P.S. Please forward this to any of your expat friends who may not have had a chance to sign the petition several weeks ago when signatures and email addresses were collected at the Plaza

image.jpeg

It is not threatening it is just information that people may not be able to build on the land.. it is more of a public service because the agencies sure are not going to say anything about what is going on.

In Oaxaca in the hills you see that kind of warning on communal land because many have been sold land that cannot be sold and got defrauded..

We don't need meetings Harry, we need the new administration that claims to be cleaning up all the messes and corruption from the previous one to step up and reverse this under the table zoning change.  There is no reason why the public should have to do this.  It is clearly the new government's job.  If they can clean up that illegal dump, they can clean this up too.  And they need to throw their full weight behind La Floresta and get those illegal high rises torn down.

This is a defining moment for the new government.  Will there be real clean up and change or just the same old business as usual?

Progress and growth is inevitable.  Just like San Miguel, they are eventually going to start developing the mountain land at lakeside.  Perhaps instead of investing time and money into a legal battle, the efforts can be focused on ensuring when the development of the mountainside starts, which it will, that it’s done correctly, with the least negative impact to the environment and that there are plans in place by local government and the developers to improve and update the infrastructure for the entire community.

A meeting is very important, Moy will do or may do what the majority of the people want him to do, if they do not scream he will let the whole thing go through so people have to show up  and speak, that is very important This is how things are done here.People take the path of least resistance and Mexicans as a rule do not want conflicts so Moy is not in an easy position, hopefully he will help..

RIGHT - no show of interest will result in inaction. After all, gears were greased and more will be if the public doesn't care. I believe 100 permits are under review and 10 have already been deemed incorrect. 

So Harry you seem to be suggesting the new administration are not the reformers they represent to be.   Because if I understand this situation correctly, the zoning change was not conducted out in the open and with all the required submittals in accordance with the laws here.  It was not legal!

As such I don't understand why a self described reform administration wouldn't declare this, set the rezoning aside on its own and require the applicants to go through an open public process.  That is when the public should be showing up in force IMO.

Understand that in general once a zoning change is permanent, the municipality has to meet a tough burden of proof to turn down building permit applications.  It is far easier to stop the entire thing in its tracks  if the zoning change itself was done illegally.  You cannot rely on Chapala just turning down all the building permit applications that are legal under the new zoning, at some point the developers will take legal action of their own and this will be hard to defend. 

However, if the zoning itself is rescinded and full and legal resubmission and open evaluation of the zoning changeis required, the developers are in a much weaker position.

It seems to be suggested here the new government have already been "greased" in which case they are really no better than what we had previously and we are probably looking at the kind of endless, costly legal fight La Floresta has been in for several years now.  Without the kind of resources a large and prosperous fracc like La Floresta can bring to the battle.

You may recall that approval was actually a stealth action by the administration preceding the last one.  However the last one was all too happy to get in bed with the developers too, to the point of trying to ignore stop orders from the court.  La Floresta has had to fight both the developers and the previous Chapala government.

Hard for me to see how that would have happened in the absence of "lubrication" but at this point it is history and what we can learn from it is just how costly and time consuming it is to stop something like this when a subsequent government doesn't cancel an illegal change and require a redo.  Watching all this I'm wondering if La Floresta will have to continue to fight the Chapala government instead of them standing on the side of the community where they should be.

Somehow I don't think the voters had that in mind when they made the change and elected MC who are supposed to be a real reform party.  A real reform government would acknowledge the illegality of the zoning change, nullify the action and give the developers the option of starting over out in the open.  And they would declare themselves on the side of La Floresta.

So Harry, I hope you are wrong because if not it just looks like the same old same old to me unless I really don't understand the situation and the zoning change was legally done. 

Hence I restate my belief this is a defining moment for the new administration.  

If you all think you can change tne direction of the Titanic going full steam ahead,  dream on.

As has been suggested some of these deals where already in works, also if no turning back lets try to ensure " it will be  done correctly "

Lastly remember that most of the Mexican community are not like the gringos, sitting on their as* waiting for  the next SS check to come into the mail...they are looking for WORK, either  directly or indirectly.. which I venture this this project will bring 

Be realistic  folks this community is basically  made up of the HAVE'S and HAVE NOT'S...and if your still unsure which camp "all" of the posters are on this chat forum, we are the HAVE'S

No I did not say that

Both you and I have been around long enough to realize that projects of this size require huge investments...what is the source of this money

Maybe if you were the newly  elected President of Chapala and you received a telephone call from someone indicating you may not see you kid tomorrow..... your as* would twitch and give due consideration to the project

Wake folks to what has happened in other states...this is not Disneyworld. I do not question the integrity of our officials, but I do understand the real challenges Mexico as a whole is facing

6 hours ago, HarryB said:

There is a meeting with Moy at 10 a.m. on wednesday in the old municipal building. All interested parties should attend.

The meeting with Chimalli Axixic is not st 10 but at 11 unless you are talking about another meting.

i believe that these changes were made in the last days of the Degollado admin. They were not done according to law. However, if the public doesn't doesn't object in force, why should the new admin go through the effort and expense of correcting what has been done? Oh , i forgot, many are too lazy to get off their asses to do anything other than bitch on a web board; even for their own good,

Archived