Chapala.com Webboard

Zoning approved for construction on Tepalo and LOTS more

Taaffe

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Chimalli group, who is leading the efforts to keep our hills green and without large developments, had a meeting scheduled with Moy Anaya, the new President in Chapala, for Wednesday, 21 November. The meeting was to have Moy on the record that he would defend our hills and not give out building permits for these green areas.

Yesterday, the meeting was abruptly cancelled, with no offer of re-scheduling. 

There is a meeting with an environmental lawyer from Mexico City today.  He will advise the Chimalli group on how to proceed to block any building in these zones.  Stay tuned for further information.

Yes it is one of the goals. Because the change in zoning was done under the radar and under the table, this will be the primary legal challenge.  The second one is to lower the ' cota ' or height from sea level back to the original 1600 meters.  It was changed, without input from the community,, to 1800 meters in order to build up to the top.

Not only is this harmful to the community in terms of sercive, but it is also dangerous because of landslides this high up.

GREED

I noticed a couple of days ago larger purple colored signs advertising land for sell as well as offering financing. I got a better view of one yesterday , it has Century 21 printed at the bottom of each sign. They have been placarded everywhere from Chapala to Jocotepec. I believe its related to this project.

1 hour ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Another new MLS listing aimed at developers: 12,111 sq. meters (3 acres) in Rancho del Oro.   Asking price just under $1 million USD.

http://www.chapalamls.net/properties/recently-added/lot-corralito-3953

Note that the blurb said it was flat and not on the mountainside.  The entire West side is fated to be developed, it seems. Might as well get ready for traffic from hell all over the area. 

2 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

At some point the music stops and the late developers end up holding the bag, with no more buyers.  It's anyone's guess when this happens, but it always does in an over-heated market.   

That's usually true, but we have a variation on the theme going here.  It's all about demographics.  The slowdown in sales about ten years ago was a result of the diminishing numbers of the WWII generation and the much smaller number of people born during the Great Depression years reaching retirement age.

According to the people who report on such things, there are ten thousand "baby boomers" reaching retirement age every month in the U.S.  According to the financial pages, few have much in savings and their homes are seldom paid for in full.  What next?  They hit Facebook (source of all truthiness) and hear about AJIJIC, which of course is not REALLY in Mexico (a foreign country), where they just might be able to afford a wonderful life in their Golden Years. I see them all over with their tennies or Birkenstocks and back packs walking the streets of our formerly sleepy towns.  There are license plates from every state in the U.S.

Consider this: you can buy a nice house around Lakeside for MUCH less than in most of the U.S. and dine out for chump change in comparison. So, what is likely to result?  Ho ho ho.

Might as well put out the welcome mat.  They outnumber us.😉

9 hours ago, Bisbee Gal said:

Another new MLS listing aimed at developers: 12,111 sq. meters (3 acres) in Rancho del Oro.   Asking price just under $1 million USD.

http://www.chapalamls.net/properties/recently-added/lot-corralito-3953

Thank you for keeping us informed. I am sharing with the group.

If anyone else sees new development please let me know in this forum, or if you prefer by private message.

Gringal the baby boomers have been here for a whole, I was born i 46 and I arrived in 2001...and I know quite a few people my age who did the same thing so you may not have noticed it but we have been here longer than you have and more are coming..hence the greedy developers..  I hope the slopes can be protected,, but we will see.. 

49 minutes ago, bmh said:

Gringal the baby boomers have been here for a whole, I was born i 46 and I arrived in 2001...and I know quite a few people my age who did the same thing so you may not have noticed it but we have been here longer than you have and more are coming..hence the greedy developers..  I hope the slopes can be protected,, but we will see.. 

I moved to Mexico in 2004.  How about you?  We've both been here a while, si?  One thing we know is that developers' greed knows no limits and there are plenty of officials who love a little "grease".😉

Sadly, as is happening all over lakeside, the population will continue to increase. That of course means more and more traffic.. Maybe 10 or so years ago people were talking and or posting about how to solve the ever worsening traffic congestion. Ideas went from placing a two lane road on the beach in front of the lake (not a very popular suggestion) to doubling the width of the Carretera to four lanes, to building a bypass like in Jocotepec up above Ajijic, and other villages along the lake front.

I guess I am surprised that this topic hasn't come up again now that the traffic is getting so bad.  With all the new construction and more land being put up for sale for development, we need to come up with solutions to help handle the added traffic that is going to come.

It happens all over the world unless the communities rebel against it. It is up to all of us in Ajijic to see what can be done.. Fix the infrastructure before bringing more people. The past government pulled a sneaky one on the people of Ajijic with no doubt the help of the State and now it is up to the locals to stop the mess and it is always more difficult to stop the  projects once they are approved. I will be gong to the Dec 9th to see what can be done and hope many people do the same.

Yes it’s not just traffic. It’s mass destruction of flora and fauna, unbalancing the ecosystem, potential landslides, no water or drainage and other serious problems.

Neither the local population nor the foreign residents want it. The real estate companies and developers and politicians are in for a long and painful fight.

it seems that there were a number of end of the road deals made by the degollado admin besides the La Floresta tower. The condos on Independencia, the apartments on Hidalgo, assumed condos on Ocampo Privada and more I don't know about.

There are plans for a garbage dump in la Canacinta . Residents have been informed and are starting protest petitions.

I hope Moises has already asked the Alfaro administration to fully investigate every aspect of the Degollado administration including under the table deals like apparently what has happened with Tepalo.  It is long past the time for a thorough house cleaning of the Chapala municipal government.  There has been something seriously wrong with this government for quite some time.  Remember the parking meter "deal?"  How about that Bridge to Jesus?  How about that totally inappropriate hotel at the end of Independencia? It just goes on and on.

It is no secret among the developers and real estate speculators locally that the game here is play for pay.  

I do think the focus should be on stopping development on the mountain sides, a clear hazard to the community, as opposed to the flat area cited above.  Like it or not, people keep coming here and buying.  If we are able to stop just the very worst of it like this Tepalo deal, that is something to strive for.

I am (sadly) amused by all this call to arms to prevent the proposed mountain  development .

Firstly, Before moving to "Paradise" , you/we/me must have done our research , listen to the Focus Groups giving their sale pitch...talk with friend on the various chat pages etc etc....that Mexico is not Disney World, rather "Mexico is the 135 least corrupt nation out of 175 countries, according to the 2017 Corruption Perceptions Index reported by Transparency International."

If this is part of the Jalisco/Chapala long term goal, it's  "Greater Lakeside Master Plan", then why all the gnashing of teeth and wring of hands

This morning my life in Paradise  shattered as I read this morning bible, the NYT...and the serious world affairs that could really have an impact, like:  

"Hundreds of migrants tried to evade the police and cross from Tijuana, Mexico, into San Diego"

"Russia seizes Ukrainian ships"

"BREXIT It’s a sad and tragic moment.”  

Excuse me whilst I go back to my sand lot......

7 hours ago, Mainecoons said:

I do think the focus should be on stopping development on the mountain sides, a clear hazard to the community, as opposed to the flat area cited above.  Like it or not, people keep coming here and buying.  If we are able to stop just the very worst of it like this Tepalo deal, that is something to strive for.

If the infrastructure is not improved and expanded, massive housing development anywhere here is a clear hazard to the community.   I walk lower Ajijic daily and it is not unusual to see and/or smell sewage overflows, especially on the weekends.  

On 11/20/2018 at 10:29 AM, HoneyBee said:

I noticed a couple of days ago larger purple colored signs advertising land for sell as well as offering financing. I got a better view of one yesterday , it has Century 21 printed at the bottom of each sign. They have been placarded everywhere from Chapala to Jocotepec. I believe its related to this project.

Those signs are for a project on the South side of the lake.  

Well "everyone " said the sky was going to fall in wnen "they" built  those cracker box house in El Chante... yes the mention of a new development  on the south side ....I hear for 1,000 lotes

So where is the source of the water comi g from for all this new housing developments  and the very very large increase in the  Berry Farms 

Archived