Chapala.com Webboard

Zoning approved for construction on Tepalo and LOTS more

Taaffe

There  is important news.
The lawyer for the group protecting Tepalo  got a response from urban planning in Chapala that the step of changing the zoning , dictamen, to be able to build on Tepalo AND 30 MORE hectares from above Riviera Alta gated community all the way to Tempisque, in other words the length and breadth of the mountainside has been approved to be ready for the next steps to begin applying  for building permits..

On 21 November there is a meeting with the present president Moy Anaya to discuss this. He has publicly vowed  to protect  this green area, and we will hold him to his word. 

People complain about traffic now.......

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am surprised the state and federal government have not required the muncipality to allow them to review any plans on the mountainside for the purpose of predetermining if the development would impede a highway skirting along the mountain.  Something is going to happen with the auto crowding and as always the cart is before the horse.

That could actually be a reason to delay development.  Appeal to the feds and state to assess the need for a mountain roadway.

7 minutes ago, solajijic said:

I am surprised the state and federal government have not required the muncipality to allow them to review any plans on the mountainside for the purpose of predetermining if the development would impede a highway skirting along the mountain.  Something is going to happen with the auto crowding and as always the cart is before the horse.

That could actually be a reason to delay development.  Appeal to the feds and state to assess the need for a mountain roadway.

If that what it takes to obtain funding for improved East West highway,  works fine for me...the alternative is to gut the illegal encroachment of the existing business on the carettra!!!

I have a feeling that the approval for development went beyond the local government and all the local activism will be ignored . Happened before........unless you get all the Mexican nationals from entire village to protest. But, I would almost bet even that will not stop it. It might slow it down but eventually it will happen. Protest of foreigners will not make much difference. It does not mean a squat when it comes to money and higher up politics.

As many people on this board said to us oldtimers who lamented to so many changes over the time........you cannot stop the "progress".

Green spaces mean nothing when it comes to housing developments especially when they are labeled as "sustainable".....what ever It really means. There are many buzz words developers can apply to a project to push it through.

Sort of like  putting a "gluten free" label on eggs,.....which mean lacking some  harmful substance that it never contained in the first place.?

Changes are dictated by flow of money and by present politics...not by common sense.

Good luck and all the best.

It wasn't that many years ago that Chapala had a grand plan to build a road from the libramiento heading west through the same area this new development is planned. Maybe this plan will also end up in the same place as the last one.

For all the naysayers who believe the local population will allow developers to cover their hills with buildings, please read about the 30 year old fight in Tepoztlán Morelos, where they fought to keep a golf course from being built and won last month.

Anyone who saw the mob of local residents in the plaza signing the petition, when the building on Tepalo was just a “rumor” denied by the government will know that this touches at the very heart of the Pueblo.

Now  that they have admitted that a plan is in the works, our present government will face a united front  which will be a force to be reckoned with.

No one knows the outcome but the foreign community has a big stake in seeing the local community prevail .

As said the local population has to rise and defeat this. That includes the expat community. This is not a political issue. It is a quality of life issue and you have every right to stand up.

Moy Anaya has said on the récord that he will defend Tepalo, so we shall see if he keeps his word.

There will be an announcement about a time and place for ex-pats to sign a petition to stop development on the mountainside.

...and then, there's the "outwait 'em" factor. Right around the corner from me, in the Ajijic Centro zoning area, a project was stopped a few years ago that was planned for three stories.  It was stopped by the authorities at two stories. Forward to Now. This year, the third storey was built.  No authorities.

Right next door, a three story, 10ft. wide, residence went up sans permits.  It has a basement as well, making it four.  Letters have arrived (in my box, by accident)  but nothing else has been done. This was built around four or five years ago.

For those who think it is still a 'rumor', here is a listing on mls Chapala for a lot in the Tepalo "green reserve"

http://chapalamls.net/properties/recently-added/lote-tellez-3930

If you go to the meeting about Transito at he LCS, ask Hector or head of Traffic, what effect building across this hillside will have on our abiltiy to move around.

Yes, Chapala Realty and Century 21 are selling lots in this area. Buyers Beware because there is no legal way it can be built on unless it is done illegaly.

An environmental lawyer will be advising what measures can be taken immediately to  stop this.

ejido land is communal land given to communities  usually to farm or build modest homes for their own use. The land can be passed on to the children.. Each ejido has their rules  with their rights and responsabilities.

Indigenous land is communal land that was used by indigenous before the conquest and on which indigenous communities live. Many of them were later granted by the Spaniards to the indigenous communities.  They usually follow usos y costumbres . Usually people can exploit the land for their own use but cannot sell what it produces to outside companies unless the village decides they can...  For exemple I found sand another indigenous community wanted to buy by the truck load.. I was told that there would have to be a general reunion and the people would have to vote to let the other people buy and the price would have to be decided by the community.. of course all can change with a change of government.  The land of th ecommunitues I know cannot be sold to outsiders.. 

So frankly I am puzzled by the sale of the land in the hills as it is called " indigenous"is it indigenous communal land or is it ejido land owned by an indigenous community? the two come under different rules..

This is a very rough explanation ..from what I understand from the people I deal with in Oaxaca and Chiapas.. I do not know anything about this particular  case. Also the indigenous community does not live on that land and does not seem to cultvate it  or cultivate it very little.. so the whole thing is a mystery to me..I would love to know more about it from an unbiais party.

As of this morning Hector was informed that there is an listing for 700,000US for land in Tepalo area. Chapala Realty is alleged to have the listing. 

Hector went to see moy about this.

48 minutes ago, HarryB said:

As of this morning Hector was informed that there is an listing for 700,000US for land in Tepalo area. Chapala Realty is alleged to have the listing. 

Hector went to see moy about this.

Harry,

This is the one that is 10,000 meters @ 70 per meter. http://www.chapalamls.net/properties/recently-added/lote-tellez-3930

Nearly adjacent to it for sale, is this 2,000 meter lot called Cedillo 2 (advertised as on Callejon Tepalo).   http://www.chapalamls.net/properties/land-and-lots/cedillo-2-property-priced-in-pesos-533  

Immediately adjacent to Cedillo#2 is Cedillo#1, a 1,506 meter lot also advertised as being in Callejon Tepalo). http://www.chapalamls.net/properties/land-and-lots/cedillo-1-property-priced-in-pesos-531

This one is east of Tepalo, above Riviera Alta, but is troubling in its size....50,000 meters!  That's a whole lot of ugly. http://www.chapalamls.net/properties/recently-added/la-riviera-lot-3902

Something was approved on the 24th of November last year and Hector does not know about it? Interesting  Not exactly a last minute approval but a real quiet one... Obviusly the whole side of the mountain was slotted to be developped . Imagine how quiet ant how stalled the information would be if the party in power had not been removed..

I am ot sure but I think that it was not permisson to sale that was granted but the change of zoning from agricultural land to residential and use for tourism..

There are many outsiders who bought  ejido lands lakeside. (for example in Tlachichilco). I personally know cases that ejido community sold piece of land to foreigners. They sell you a title but people who bought it were fighting to get a written deed. Some were able to get a deed but some did not. Many northerners are ignorant about the differences and do not find out until its too late. Having a title does not mean you own it.

"Title is the legal way of saying you own a right to something. ... Deeds, on the other hand, are actually the legal documents that transfer title from one person to another. It must be a written document,"  A Deed must be documented and registered.

Chula Vista Norte started that way as well. I wonder what the situation is there know but we rented a house  there for couple of years (2014/16)and I believe the owner had a deed. But I know he had a fight with a developer for some time after he bought a lot there and got another piece of land just a street down and build a beautiful house on it. This was in 2000.  I know this info second hand (property manager) so do not know any other details only that it was an ugly situation and many people suffered consequences.

Archived