Chapala.com Webboard

Wierd--all lights on exept for kitchen

Lexy

Today at about one I realized my fridge was too quiet. Then realized no electricity in all of kitchen, but electricity on throughtout the house, even laundry room right alongside the kitchen.

Anyone have a clue why? I live in Mirasol. Power switch box is in laundry room but I'm afraid to fool with it. It's 7:45 pm and no electricity only in kitchen.

Lexy

There's really nothing that scary about what you are calling a power switch box, known as an electrical panel (unless you're in an old house that still has a fuse box). Different breakers are wired to different parts of the house. I have my breakers marked, so I know what goes to where, but some of my kitchen is wired on one breaker and one on another, so I still have to flip them to see what works the fan, if I'm going to replace the capacitor in it, for instance. Some day you can just turn on everything in the house, and go flip a breaker, then see what things shut off. Then you can mark what that breaker goes to, turn it back on, and so on. Sometimes a circuit will get overloaded, so the breaker will switch itself off, or sometimes they just go bad and need to be replaced, which is a job for an electrician, or at least someone who knows what they're doing in that regard.

Mudgirl is correct sounds like you have a flipped breaker.  Most breakers are marked on and off.  Even if not it doesn't matter the breakers should all be flipped in the same direction on each side of breaker  box  There should be one breaker flipped in a different direction.  This one should be flipped in line with the others.  Some times you must flip it several times to engage it.  If you need a new breaker it is easy to do but would probably be better to let someone do it who knows what they are doing.

Lexy,

If it happens again, have it all checked by an electrician from the main panel to the kitchen - could be that there is too much load on the kitchen circuit, a wiring fault, or a breaker going bad.     

Could also have been an isolated incident from a bit of a surge.   

Flipping the breaker back on fixes the symptom, the cause may still be there.

This is not an unusual situation and has nothing to do with the wiring in your house. We get this frequently  in upper Chula Vista and after a visit by the CFE the electricity is restored to what is should be. I also had the same situation in a house II owned in Riberas. Same solution - a complaint to the CFE. I hired an electirician to check the house wiring to no avail and both told me it was the CFE's problem.

Lexy,

there is a complete difference between 1 phase being out of service from CFE (which can cause part of a house that has 220 V / 2 phase power) to go out, and what you described / experienced.

When 1 CFE phase goes out, typically a breaker(s) in the house does not trip.    And, your neighbours would also experience the same thing as the phase goes out of service at the local transformer.    And resetting the breaker would not solve a CFE transformer / phase issue.

So in this case it sounds more like something specific in your home.

Ah yes, my favorite bunch of incompetent bandidos, the CFE (or as we used to call them "Can't Furnish Electricity"). I was in Riberas 7 years, in that time the CFE managed to burn out 7 wireless routers, 2 sizable UBS regulators (sacrificed themselves saving equipment) a tele answering machine, $800MXD repair to my home theater and more. In 4 years back NOB I've not burned out a single thing, I left my big UBS there, don't need it here and I've not replaced a single burned out bulb, in Riberas I used to buy them a dozen at a time. Yes, the CFE is little more than legalized bandidos.

The very first thing I did when I moved to my house in Riberas was ground all the outlets. There was only one grounded outlet in the whole house. I have voltage regulators plugged into those grounded outlets and surge bars plugged into the voltage regulators... and then my "stuff" plugged into the surge bars. In two and a half years, I've only lost my Vonage modem ... and I'd been using that for 15 years (since before Telmex provided unlimited calls to the U.S. and Canada).

I forgot to point out, that in my 22 years of dealing with CFE, the Vonage modem and phone are the only pieces of equipment that I've lost. I know that I err on the side of caution but it has paid off for me. Always remember that a three pronged outlet cover is NOT an indication that there is actually a ground wire attached and functioning.

On ‎11‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 12:03 PM, Go Solar said:

there is a complete difference between 1 phase being out of service from CFE (which can cause part of a house that has 220 V / 2 phase power) to go out, and what you described / experienced.

When 1 CFE phase goes out, typically a breaker(s) in the house does not trip.    And, your neighbours would also experience the same thing as the phase goes out of service at the local transformer.    And resetting the breaker would not solve a CFE transformer / phase issue.

So in this case it sounds more like something specific in your home.

My neighbor has this problem right now and the guy she had come look at it said that the power that is furnished here is 2 phase and not single phase? Everything that is dead are all 110v and what gets me is I have no problems in my house. 

22 hours ago, ragtopman said:

My neighbor has this problem right now and the guy she had come look at it said that the power that is furnished here is 2 phase and not single phase? Everything that is dead are all 110v and what gets me is I have no problems in my house. 

A number of older homes still have 1 hilo / 1 phase service only, though almost all new services are 2.

Homes with 220 V service (shown as "2 hilos" on the CFE bill and "2 fases" on the CFE meter face) are fed with 2 x 110 V lines.    Most homes with this setup have a main electrical panel that sends one 110 V leg to one part of the home, and the other leg to the other part of the home.    Any large 220 V needs like A/C use or electric stoves or dryers get both feeds, combined.

So if one leg / phase is out due to a CFE line fuse being open or a transformer issue, a home can have power in one part, and not the other.     Useful to have a good quality long extension cord around so as to keep the fridge going until the line is repaired, if it is in the unlucky part.

From a solar electric perspective, there is good equipment available for both 1 and 2 phase types, though it is often a good idea to upgrade a 1 phase 110 V service to 2 phases / 220 V at the time of doing the project.

In my neighborhood in upper Ajijic, all we have is three phase transformers, with each phase 120 not 180 degrees apart. Therefore each of my phases are 127 volts plus or minus 10% and two phases that are 120 degrees apart provide you with 220 volts +/-.

I know some of the smaller homes only have one or to of the three phases. and each of the phases are 127 volts from this type of transformer.

I didn't even know that the they offered 180 degree 2 phase service around here like they do up north.

On 11/13/2018 at 1:48 PM, Ferret said:

I forgot to point out, that in my 22 years of dealing with CFE, the Vonage modem and phone are the only pieces of equipment that I've lost. I know that I err on the side of caution but it has paid off for me. Always remember that a three pronged outlet cover is NOT an indication that there is actually a ground wire attached and functioning.

51vimCh2evL._SX425_.jpg

Archived