Chapala.com Webboard

Handicap parking permt

Sandrita

this is one of my objectives. I can't ask the police to ticket those in handicap spaces without gov issued permits until I can assure the permits are available. Basically you need to take a doctor's certification that you require handicap parking , either for a specified time or permanently to DIF and they should issue the permit. Until now Chapala has not had permits.

5 minutes ago, HarryB said:

this is one of my objectives. I can't ask the police to ticket those in handicap spaces without gov issued permits until I can assure the permits are available. Basically you need to take a doctor's certification that you require handicap parking , either for a specified time or permanently to DIF and they should issue the permit. Until now Chapala has not had permits.

Do you need documents?  My doctor is in Guad and he would have to write it and then scan and send it to me.  Do you think that would work?

Gracias.

I'm sure that would work once we can announce that permits are available. There is so much to do that this is a low priority just now. The people who go to the papeleria for a sticker would have to get in line too.

It's a lengthy and frustrating process!  DIF does not get involved in this process.

The statement from the Dr can't be a private Dr...just be from a government institution, so we joined Seguro Popular and got a document from one of the Drs.

Then to city hall to apply for the permit....they had to come to the house and take measurements after we had provided them with their form and fotos the house, etc.  This took a couple of months.

Then off to some agency in Guadalajara for the official hanger for the rest view mirror.  I got our handicapped at Auto Zone.  This was free, except for paying the attorney to take me there.

Then months later they had to have a "study" done by an agency from Guadalajara.  They (the  state) is requiring a sign on a pole for in front of the space indicating it is exClusively ours.  However the sign company left the letter C out of the word so made a sticker to correct it.  They even required specific paint numbers, size of sign, size of letters, etc.  Of course we had to paint yellow stripes on the street to certain dimensions to mark off the space...special paint again.  And we painted the curb with the permit number...Which a lot of people don't seem to understand so come home often to people parked in our space.

And it ain't free!  Plus it took many trips - at least 10- to city hall to get this done.  Now we have to renew next Aug...having no idea of what to expect.  But not going to worry about it right now.  I was told they only grant a certain number of these each year(???) and we were lucky to get one.

Good luck to anyone needing one!

Archived