Chapala.com Webboard

LCS Sidewalk on 16 de Septiembre

gringal

Where can you find one of the worst-kept stretches of sidewalk in Ajijic? 

Right outside the wall of LCS on 16 de Septiembre.  It has everything:  missing pieces of curb; holes in the sidewalk itself; uneven surfaces to trip on: in general, a disgrace.  Maybe that should go much higher on the list of "things to do" since we are all supposed to be responsible for the sections of sidewalk adjacent to our properties.  Those who are not so steady on their feet are particularly at risk.  That would  include many of the members of LCS.

Thanks in advance for considering this.

26 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Considering the amount of money they are constantly budgeting and trying to raise for insane projects like offsite work areas for kids, elevators, and second stories... they bloody well better have.

I walk that street frequently enough to have observed the ever-increasing deterioration.  A walker dare not raise eyes from the sidewalk.

In March 2018 LCS took full legal possession of a lakefront property (adjacent to theirs) donated by the late Ruth Darling.  It was and is a wonderful property that, in addition to the main house, includes a fairly new 2 story casita (circa 2010 as I recall) and a swimming pool.  

Given the prices of lake front Ajijic properties now, I would guess it is worth at a minimum, $650K.

LCS uses the property for their Board meetings and for small classes and other meetings.  

Catty corner to LCS is the old former site of Simply Thai.  It lingered on the market for over 2 years but is currently under contract.  The list price was $249K.  

Why sit on a $650K property (or more) when they could sell it and reinvest in a more appropriate nearby property at a much much lower cost???  AND improve their curbs and sidewalks and other parts of the main campus.  

As a correction, the lakefront property was not donated by Ruth Darling but purchased from Ruth by LCS with US $380,000 donated by two LCS  members as reported the Guad Reporter at the time.  

And then there is the history of the Neill James property - the local community would rebel at it's sale  and I'm not sure that Neill's legal documents  permit the sale. A great deal of research has gone into future developing both properties - with more consultation, I'm sure from both the Mexican and expat community.

The sidewalk comments have been relayed to LCS.

I also seem to remember a discussion some years ago about the tree.  While I don't recall the type of tree, it had some significance to the local community and that a permit would not be granted to cut it down... certainly it impacts that sidewalk.  Maybe someone remembers more.

The big ol' tree near the rear entrance on 16 de Septiembre is not the problem. In fact, the sidewalk around it and for a short distance to the west is in fine shape.  After that comes the unsightly and hazard-es segment, which continues to near the main entrance, where, voila! good pavement is at the main entrance.  Continuing around the corner to the south, bad pavement exists again.

Please LCS: fix it before someone trips and is hurt. 

16 hours ago, Ellie said:

As a correction, the lakefront property was not donated by Ruth Darling but purchased from Ruth by LCS with US $380,000 donated by two LCS  members as reported the Guad Reporter at the time.  

And then there is the history of the Neill James property - the local community would rebel at it's sale  and I'm not sure that Neill's legal documents  permit the sale. A great deal of research has gone into future developing both properties - with more consultation, I'm sure from both the Mexican and expat community.

The sidewalk comments have been relayed to LCS.

Thx for the correction on the sale.  I was not advocating the sale of the Neil James property.  However, the Darling house could be sold and could allow LCS to be more financially self-sufficient.  

Re: the sidewalk.  I gave up walking on that side of the street a long time ago.  

Since I'm a member but not involved with BOD matters, I won't presume to suggest selling property.  I have heard some grand plans for the future which may or may not lie in the realm of possibility.

Fixing the sidewalk is not only an obvious obligation to the public, but a small financial outlay that surely would not break the budget.

Archived