Chapala.com Webboard

no bullshit coffee

cyril

2 hours ago, Mrs. Rupert said:

Yes, Xena.  It arrives and Superlake does not put it  on the shelves until they want to.  Last time it was three weeks before they had the stock out.

Then why did you ask the OP if he had sent it yet? Ask Superlake if they received it and when they will be putting it on shelves if that is what you want to know. Ask the right question of the right person.

First of all Xena, the OP did not say the coffee had been sent to SL.  I thought NoBullshit had decided to use a different vendor.  Understand??  It is not my job to run around SL to find out if the coffee is on the shelves.  I have done that 3 times before.  It is NB's responsibility- not mine.  I now grind the coffee myself at SL for espresso coffee.  I love NB's coffee, but if they want to sell it, they have to do the legwork and make the necessary phone calls to put it out to ensure their coffee has good shelf space.  The last coffee I bought from NB was over 3 weeks old because SL did not put it out.  Got it?

While you may be feeling frustrated, it is certainly neither the store's nor the manufacturer's nor the shipper's responsibility to tell customers anything about their product delivery schedules or how they manage their business. A little insider knowledge does not give anyone the right to decide how a store should operate. But this is basic common sense, no?

And just for the sake of clarity, I note that the OP did, yes, actually say : "i just sent 40 one pound bags of our coffee to super lake.  it should arrive friday, give or take." Isn't that how this whole conversation started?

1 hour ago, Mrs. Rupert said:

First of all Xena, the OP did not say the coffee had been sent to SL.  I thought NoBullshit had decided to use a different vendor.  Understand??  It is not my job to run around SL to find out if the coffee is on the shelves.  I have done that 3 times before.  It is NB's responsibility- not mine.  I now grind the coffee myself at SL for espresso coffee.  I love NB's coffee, but if they want to sell it, they have to do the legwork and make the necessary phone calls to put it out to ensure their coffee has good shelf space.  The last coffee I bought from NB was over 3 weeks old because SL did not put it out.  Got it?

You seem like such a pleasant person. You must be a joy at dinner parties. 

I'd kind of like to get the word on the coffee which the "no bullshit" coffee folks are countering.  That would be "shit" coffee perhaps? Haven't seen that on the shelves as yet.  Whoever came up with the name deserves an award for "straining for cuteness".

But seriously, people are going on about COFFEE??  I buy mine from the guys on the truck outside of the bank. Good stuff. No b.s.

😉

8 minutes ago, gringal said:

I'd kind of like to get the word on the coffee which the "no bullshit" coffee folks are countering.  That would be "shit" coffee perhaps? Haven't seen that on the shelves as yet.  Whoever came up with the name deserves an award for "straining for cuteness".

But seriously, people are going on about COFFEE??  I buy mine from the guys on the truck outside of the bank. Good stuff. No b.s.

😉

gringal is correct.  If you want fresh coffee, go to the Veracruz truck guy.  The coffee that's bagged (whole bean or ground) and sitting on grocery store shelves could be there for months.  There are no date stamps on the bags, so no way to tell how old it is.

Good grief. Now we're being told where to buy our coffee?Thanks, but no. And I don't even drink the stuff.

There are "best buy" dates on coffee bags. Also note that cherries do not ripen at the same time, and pickers go back often. Then the beans have to be sorted and dried, before they are examined by expert buyers, and this takes time. Buyers may store them for months before they are sold or resold. Unless we think this guy picks his own.

EDIT: As a freind pointed out, I left out roasting... so I should add I intentionally left out a lot of steps in the process that aren't relative to the discussion. For example, coffee beens after being dried are stored before roasting, and that can be a long time.

22 minutes ago, ComputerGuy said:

Good grief. Now we're being told where to buy our coffee?Thanks, but no. And I don't even drink the stuff.

There are "best buy" dates on coffee bags. Also note that cherries do not ripen at the same time, and pickers go back often. Then the beans have to be sorted and dried, before they are examined by expert buyers, and this takes time. Buyers may store them for months before they are sold or resold. Unless we think this guy picks his own.

And best of all, the coffee sits in an enclosed truck in the baking sun for weeks. That is the best coffee available? 

2 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

EDIT: As a freind pointed out, I left out roasting... so I should add I intentionally left out a lot of steps in the process that aren't relative to the discussion. For example, coffee beens after being dried are stored before roasting, and that can be a long time.

I'm not sure why you're so involved in this discussion, ComputerGuy, especially if you're not a coffee drinker?  And why is it wrong to suggest where to buy coffee?  No different than suggestions about where to buy chicken, or clothing, or electronics.

I used to be a coffee drinker. And what does that have to do with? I can't have an opinion based on facts? I can't comment on garbage collection, even though I'm not a garbageman? I can't comment on a movie, even though I'm not a producer? I can't comment on liver because I don't like it?

And you weren't suggesting. You flat out stated that stuff in stores is not worth getting because it's probably old, and if you want fresh we have to go to this Veracruz guy.

1 hour ago, ComputerGuy said:

I used to be a coffee drinker. And what does that have to do with? I can't have an opinion based on facts? I can't comment on garbage collection, even though I'm not a garbageman? I can't comment on a movie, even though I'm not a producer? I can't comment on liver because I don't like it?

And you weren't suggesting. You flat out stated that stuff in stores is not worth getting because it's probably old, and if you want fresh we have to go to this Veracruz guy.

My reason for buying from the truck guy is that (1) I like the taste of it and (2) they grind it from the beans right there.  Those reasons work for me.

Francisco Martinez is the name of the Veracruz coffee seller.  IMO, his coffee is the best if you like the strong stuff....I buy his mas fuerte molido fino (dark, finely ground) and it tastes great whether electric drip or gravity drip (Melitta).  

Here is a short story about Francisco and his family's farm.  BTW, he just returned with a fresh truckload.  

Read this short article about him, then try his coffee.  It is 180 pesos per kilo.

Francisco Martinez the Veracruz Coffee Guy

5 hours ago, suegarn said:

gringal is correct.  If you want fresh coffee, go to the Veracruz truck guy.  The coffee that's bagged (whole bean or ground) and sitting on grocery store shelves could be there for months.  There are no date stamps on the bags, so no way to tell how old it is.

at no bullshit coffee, quality is what we are about. all bags ARE roast dated. 

this latest shipment was roasted november 2 2018

4 hours ago, ComputerGuy said:

First of all, I wasn't the first one to suggest the truck guy.  Second, I said the bagged ground coffee in stores 'could be' old.  If you buy from the truck guy, he will grind it right there for you when you purchase it.  Fresher tasting coffee!  

FWIW, the coffee from El Arbol de Café in Chapala is about as fresh as you can get. It's roasted right there. Lalo, the owner, is a great guy and the espresso has a secondary taste (or whatever the official term is) that's really pleasant (pecan?). No, I don't speak coffee, don't even really like it (!), but I do like cappuccino. Yes, I was dropped on my head as a baby...  The coffee truck is also great. Folks, pick your poison and just enjoy the day. There sure are a lot worse things that we could be arguing about, but why?

Archived