Chapala.com Webboard

Medicare - professional help requested

solajijic

We need someone with professional level Medicare information to help us decide our next step in our older health insurance.

Our options are going to change in the next couple of years.  My husband needs to get into the Medicare system and I will in three years.  We have literally no experience in any of this and since we have been here so many years (2005) we haven't had the usual reading material, tv shows, chats with friends  etc.. where a person might glean and accumulate some information.  

So we need to hire someone to walk us through the choices in Medicare plans.  If you know of anyone have them contact me. Thanks

When i turned 65 Social security sent me  letter stating do nothing and you will be enrolled in medicare.

IN your post are concerned appears you are concerned about medicare supplement plans

i opted out of medicare, signed form that i wanted to opt out. between me and my wife we saved about $2400 dollars a year in 2018.  will save more as fee goes up

we also do  not have carry a medicare supplement which would cost much more. saved there too.

we are enrolled in  PAgroup  through boomers in paradise group plan   covered world wide except USA.

world wide  benefit  works for since we travel a lot.

our cost PAGROUP was about $4300 in 2108, goes up every year. $3500 deductible

hope this other option of what i did helps you, if you are undecided at this moment.

My back ground was financial planning, and i had a insurance license and Series 7 securities license.

I and my wife love lakeside and the last we want to is have one have spend money to have to fly up to USA have hotel expenses while partner gets care and be away from are good friends locally. we do not want to travel when we are sick.

I know several persons who had USA medicare insurance and supplemental ( covers first 90 days while traveling for emergencies) and had to spend over $80,000 US dollars to get stabilized in mexico, then flown up to USA for further medical care.

Used PA group insurance twice,  wife's new hip and I  had kidney stones removed. both were over $12000 Dollars.

yes are deductible is high $3500 per year.  and  we only go to PAGROUP direct pay local hospitals in Guadalajara.

no money out of are pocket except deductible 

PM if you have a question

Senor Google was helpful in this regard.

https://goodcare.com/dealing-with-medicare-as-an-expat-when-and-how-to-enroll/

Some of the information in the previous post is incorrect.  Medicare Part A is automatic, and there is no charge for it. Part B charges monthly and can be cancelled, but there are penalties if you want it back later.  The other add-ons are optional.

Bear in mind that Medicare can't be used in Mexico (except in emergencies when traveling abroad from the U.S.)  You must return to the States to use it.

Private insurance is another subject.

32 minutes ago, gringal said:

Senor Google was helpful in this regard.

https://goodcare.com/dealing-with-medicare-as-an-expat-when-and-how-to-enroll/

Some of the information in the previous post is incorrect.  Medicare Part A is automatic, and there is no charge for it. Part B charges monthly and can be cancelled, but there are penalties if you want it back later.  The other add-ons are optional.

Bear in mind that Medicare can't be used in Mexico (except in emergencies when traveling abroad from the U.S.)  You must return to the States to use it.

Private insurance is another subject.

Medicare CANNOT be used in emergencies outside the US except in very limited and rare circumstances which are listed below straight from Medicare.gov

Medicare may pay for inpatient hospital, doctor, ambulance services, or dialysis you get in a foreign country in these rare cases:

• You're in the U.S. when a  medical emergency occurs, and the foreign hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition.
  • You're traveling through Canada without unreasonable delay by the most direct route between Alaska and another state when a medical emergency occurs, and the Canadian hospital is closer than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat the emergency.
  • You live in the U.S. and the foreign hospital is closer to your home than the nearest U.S. hospital that can treat your medical condition, regardless of whether an emergency exists.

•  

Archived