Chapala.com Webboard

Do you know this kitten?

Found in the vicinity of calles 16 de Septiembre and Juan Manuel in Ajijic today.   Estimate 8-10 weeks old. Very good condition, friendly, socialized.  All white except for grey spot on head.  Do you know this kitty?

20181106_174054.jpg

I agree he was probably dumped. Too friendly, and in good shape too.  We found another last year in the same location.  Just wanted to talk to neighbors and post in the unlikely case he is an escapee.  Thanks for responding.  

There are two beautiful homes in this neighborhood that use large and expensive cat litter bags to hold their trash on the street.   I wonder if there may be a connection between this and mysterious kitten encounters? 🤔

11 hours ago, colliju said:

There are two beautiful homes in this neighborhood that use large and expensive cat litter bags to hold their trash on the street.   I wonder if there may be a connection between this and mysterious kitten encounters? 🤔

And you did not march up to each, ring the bell, and ask them if they were missing a kitten?  If not, why not?

Judgment much Natasha? This person rescued the cat, tried to find  a home for it, took it to LFA and made a generous donation. Do you know one thing about this person's situation, mobility or anything apart from those facts? If not, maybe thanking him/her is sufficient. 

18 hours ago, kam said:

Judgment much Natasha? This person rescued the cat, tried to find  a home for it, took it to LFA and made a generous donation. Do you know one thing about this person's situation, mobility or anything apart from those facts? If not, maybe thanking him/her is sufficient. 

Not judgement..... just common sense.  If the person had the ability to get the kitten to the shelter,   then by the same means  he/she could have tried the neighbors first.  Don't assume EVERYONE reads this board, or even knows about it. So IF the kitten belongs to one of those homes, they might never learn that their pet was only a whisker away from being returned.  And by the same token,  my personal experience over many years of shelter work is that RARELY do people go to shelter to look for their lost pets (especially cats) , as ridiculous as that sounds.

Hello Natasha.  I apologize for the late reply. I didn't have this forum set to be notified of replies to my post.   Your service is appreciated.  You must have a good heart when it comes to animals.  To ease your mind, let me report to you that I DID visit my neighbors and DID leave cards with contact information on the day the cat was found.  And one neighbor did call me back.  In any case, thank you for your advice. 

The neighbor also bemoaned the frequency of kitten appearances in the same location.   I have now found two kittens apparently left there, a few months apart.  Which led me to the hypothesis that maybe they are being abandoned in the spot where it is plainly obvious that well-heeled people own cats.  Again, due to the fact that large cat litter bags are left on the street directly in front of their homes.  

It seems plausible.  And could be remedied easily, in my opinion.  Food for thought. 

In any case, this cat will be available for adoption tomorrow.  He is a charmer and loves to cuddle as well as play.  He is not timid, quick to adapt and seeks human companionship.  This cat would make a great addition to a loving home! 

Hi back Colliju, and nice to know you read my post in the spirit in which it was intended. Visiting the neighbors was a good first step.  Also putting "found" posters (with photo) on your door, and light posts at each end of your street is a good idea. (I recently re-homed a friendly kitten found and brought to me by Mexican neighbors. When I was taking posters around to a few nearby neighbors who might put them on their doors-----  lo and behold the kitten belonged to Tia Yolanda, right around the corner from my house! He had escaped and she was frantic.)

You're right about "drop-off" points --- dogs and cats of all ages.  La Floresta used to be a biggie in the "old" days. I guess the "drop-offers" assumed affluent people would automatically want another pet.  Did they never think anyone who wanted one, or more, already had them?  Sadly,  remedied easily is not so easy. 

From the   look of his toes, especially back foot, he could have some Siamese in him --- always a sign of fun-loving and playful. (I have 2 pure and 3 at about 80% .) Fact that he's sociable means he DID have a loving home.  Maybe you could still put up the posters with photo.......since you found him just after a weekend (best time to drop pets) and we have a long weekend coming up.... in the  hopes that weekend visitors might have LOST him???? 

In any case, best of luck with finding a loving and forever home.

And Natasha, you are absolutely right about 'found' posters. We found a puppy when we lived in Roca Azul. I was putting up posters when a neighbor's gardener rushed up, took the posters from me, and came and got the pup. He had let it escape and didn't want the neighbor to know.

Archived