Chapala.com Webboard

Looking for five volunteers for an easy, worthwhile and maybe fun project.

Eric Blair

This is a great community project IMO.

I saw in a post someone said the benches at the malecon needed upkeep, so I went to the Chapala malecon and sure enough, some upkeep is needed. So I thought that would be a good community project.

So I went to the Municipal Palace and tracked down the right guy and ended up with an official letter saying it's OK to repair and paint the benches.

Now I'm looking for five volunteers to help me. I'm figuring to paint the benches colors to match the "CHAPALA" sign. I'll ask Walmart if they will donate paint and if they won't, I'll get it myself along with brushes and drop-cloths.

I will even supply lunch (Tamale, soda, one beer each day and of course water).

I have an electric sander and will see if I can beg/borrow another one or two. Maybe a volunteer has one to use.

I'm also sure, we can get an honorable mention in the Guadalajara Reporter (I'll take some pictures and alert the Reporter).

I would think this is one way of giving back to the community although Know there are many other and probably more worthwhile ways, but this is only asking for a few hours and the the results should be well worth the effort.

If interested, please either PM me with your availability and thoughts.

If I can't get any interest, I'll invest a couple of hours a day and do it on my own, but would love help.

Thanks.

A couple of the Chapala benches are close to that, but I plan on buying new boards.

If I can't get volunteers, my wife and I will give it a shot and post (motivational?) pictures.

Not to say next project can't be Ajijic.

I'm tired of watching videos. Need something productive.

the same project is under way at the Ajijic malecon thanks to Bob at the other board. Through Hector Espana we got a committment that if the expats bought the materials, the municipality would supply the labor. Perhaps you could do the same and just supervise. Jobs in mexico need supervision

Replacing wood with more wood just assures this will be a constant maintenance problem on both Malecons.  I was in PV a couple years ago and at that time they were replacing the tops of their Malecon benches with aluminum channel.  This is a permanent fix.  Considerably less expensive is the iron channel you see used on a lot of roof structures here.  Requires painting but would last for years and I'll bet not significantly more expensive than wood.  This climate is very unforgiving of wood used outside.

Image result for picture of metal box channel

Archived